Just got an acekard 2.1, "akmenu4.ds not found"

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by xl_The_Jackal_lx, Jan 18, 2011.

  1. xl_The_Jackal_lx
    OP

    Newcomer xl_The_Jackal_lx Member

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2011
    Messages:
    24
    Location:
    USA
    Country:
    United States
    About a week ago I placed an order for an Acekard 2.1 at realhotstuff, it came today. I formatted the miscrosd card (4gb kingston) with gparted (running Ubuntu), extracted the AKAIO files, and placed the SD card into the acekard.

    At first the SD card wouldn't go in all the way and there was no retention, it would just fall out if you turned it upside down. After fiddling with it, I realized that for some reason the spring-loading mechanism was seated too high, and the problem corrected itself and the SD card went all the way down in. Problem solved, or so I thought.

    I fired it up again, got past the loading screen, only to be greeted with "akmenu4.ds not found". I extracted the files so that both the "__aio" folder and "akmenu4.ds" files are there, I've tried formatting in both FAT16 and FAT32 and get the same error. I've also tried this with both 1.85 and 1.85a. With 18.5a I get this strange error about "The skin Ad.EvoR can't be found, etc."

    I'm thinking that maybe I'm formatting this incorrectly or gparted is doing something wonky, or I'm missing a crucial step in the installation process. I can't use the Panasonic formatter as I am not running Windows. I'm at a loss so I come humbly to consult the minds of GBAtemp.
     
  2. xl_The_Jackal_lx
    OP

    Newcomer xl_The_Jackal_lx Member

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2011
    Messages:
    24
    Location:
    USA
    Country:
    United States
    Wow, I'm an idiot. I seem to have gotten it working with 18.5a now.
     
  3. Riversong

    Newcomer Riversong Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2009
    Messages:
    37
    Location:
    Gallifrey
    Country:
    United States
    It's not just you; I am getting it too. I think that there is something wrong with the file. Not sure what it is as I am not a programmer. Let's hope someone can fix this issue.
     
  4. xl_The_Jackal_lx
    OP

    Newcomer xl_The_Jackal_lx Member

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2011
    Messages:
    24
    Location:
    USA
    Country:
    United States
    What brand of SD card are you using? I checked another thread about 1.85 and apparently the Kingston ones (e.g. the one I have) need 1.85a to work. I got mine working fine now with 1.85a.
     
  5. Riversong

    Newcomer Riversong Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2009
    Messages:
    37
    Location:
    Gallifrey
    Country:
    United States

    What did you do?

    Edit: that makes two of us. I just merged the files. MOH! Oh well...thank you so much...even if you didn't do anything.
     
  6. xl_The_Jackal_lx
    OP

    Newcomer xl_The_Jackal_lx Member

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2011
    Messages:
    24
    Location:
    USA
    Country:
    United States
    When I first was having trouble with 1.85 I downloaded 1.85a and just copied the contents of that folder over to my SD card without checking what was in the folder. Turns out the only thing in the 1.85a download were updated loaders, so thats why I was getting the "missing skin" error.

    Once I went and looked what was in the 1.85a folder I facepalmed, copied the 1.85a loaders over to the 1.85 folder, and then copied that onto my Kingston SD card. Appears to work flawlessly now, tested it with several backups.

    I used gparted to format my SD card in FAT32, if that helps.
     
  7. Evo.lve

    Member Evo.lve All that you could be.

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2010
    Messages:
    1,786
    Location:
    Away from you.
    Country:
    Australia
    You have to put 1.8.5 on and then copy 1.8.5a over it.
     

Share This Page