Hacking Just got a Wii U in 2019...

jellybeangreen2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have looked through the definitive and noob guides on here... The last time I had a wii u, you had to use browser exploit and the very first version of loadine which was good for it's time.

My Wii U is on 5.5.1. I would like to do permanent cold boot via DS game.

Do I need to update to the latest 5.5.4 to access eshop and obtain my DS game (presume I do).

Does 5.5.4 work with the DS method for cold boot?

For some reason even looking on here and at wiiu.hacks.guide these questions aren't answered.

If someone has used a guide recently and recommends one to do the above I would highly appreciate some assistance please.

Reactions: NoNAND

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I need to update to the latest 5.5.4 to access eshop and obtain my DS game (presume I do).
No, you should be able to access the eShop if you run NNU-Patcher while on 5.5.1.

Does 5.5.4 work with the DS method for cold boot?
Yes, everything is compatible with 5.5.4. It is safe to update. If you update after install CBHC, then you will probably have to reinstall CBHC.

jellybeangreen2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, you should be able to access the eShop if you run NNU-Patcher while on 5.5.1.

Yes, everything is compatible with 5.5.4. It is safe to update. If you update after install CBHC, then you will probably have to reinstall CBHC.

Thanks for the reply. - Is it best to update first then do a NAND backup and proceed? or do it all on 5.5.1 first?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. - Is it best to update first then do a NAND backup and proceed? or do it all on 5.5.1 first?
I would do the following things in this order:
  1. Make a NAND backup
  2. Use NNU-Patcher to install a compatible DS title
  3. Install Haxchi
  4. Update to 5.5.4
  5. Verify that Haxchi works
  6. Install CBHC

jellybeangreen2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would do the following things in this order:
  1. Make a NAND backup
  2. Use NNU-Patcher to install a compatible DS title
  3. Install Haxchi
  4. Update to 5.5.4
  5. Verify that Haxchi works
  6. Install CBHC

Seems good to me. - Thanks for the heads up about NNU-Patcher. I will do my NAND backup now. Thanks for your help. - Any specific guide you would recommend to follow for steps 2/3/5/6?

jellybeangreen2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
with chbc, haxchi is applied automatically whereas just Haxchi you apply it whenever you want. CHBC has a slight chance of brick if you do something you're not supposed to. Haxchi virtually no chance of brick.
Thanks for the reply. - When you say slight chance of brick, if CHBC is manual enable of Haxchi and Haxchi is automatic for Coldboot. Then the desired outcome is the same? Using SYSNAND you can still brick as easily when using either methods?

Krazyeye

Hellooo Nurse!
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
What's the difference?
If you have CBHC installed, you will automatically be in CFW when you powering on your Wii U. Regular Haxchi requires user to activate before playing any backups that has DLC installed. Correct me if i'm wrong but you don't even need to activate Haxchi in order to play backup games that does not have DLC installed.

I do personally like regular Haxchi. If something goes wrong with CBHC and brick my Wii U, I will probably want to pull all my hair out.

jellybeangreen2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have CBHC installed, you will automatically be in CFW when you powering on your Wii U. Regular Haxchi requires user to activate before playing any backups that has DLC installed. Correct me if i'm wrong but you don't even need to activate Haxchi in order to play backup games that does not have DLC installed.

I do personally like regular Haxchi. If something goes wrong with CBHC and brick my Wii U, I will probably want to pull all my hair out.

Ah ok thanks. - I'll use CBHC. I am doing three NAND dumps now anyway, so if anything ever happens I'll hard mod and write back my NAND. The more automation and less user input required to load CFW the better.

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
CBHC isn't worth the few extra negligible seconds of loading.
That's a decision everyone has to make for themselves. I recently hacked the Wii U of my girlfriend and for her it's easier if she doesn't have to do something to boot CFW. With parental control you can block everything which could lead to a brick. If you use the console yourself, of course you should read about what you must not do when you have CBHC installed.

Reactions: Lacius

Krazyeye

Hellooo Nurse!
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
That's a decision everyone has to make for themselves. I recently hacked the Wii U of my girlfriend and for her it's easier if she doesn't have to do something to boot CFW. With parental control you can block everything which could lead to a brick. If you use the console yourself, of course you should read about what you must not do when you have CBHC installed.
Since I'm not using CBHC; I have created a folder called "START FIRST, CLICK FIRST, or RUN FIRST" whichever and placed it far top left of Wii U menu for my wife LOL

Reactions: pLaYeR^^

jellybeangreen2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to update everyone. I have hacked the Wii U on 5.5.1. CHBC 1.6. - Everything is fine.

I have taken 3 clean NAND dumps. One after purchasing Brain Age. One after the console being fully hacked with a linked NNID and auto sign in.

The app will never be removed so no chance or brick I can see. I do like the menu options when CHBC is booting.

What’s the next thing you would do guys?

csmcapthy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just to update everyone. I have hacked the Wii U on 5.5.1. CHBC 1.6. - Everything is fine.

I have taken 3 clean NAND dumps. One after purchasing Brain Age. One after the console being fully hacked with a linked NNID and auto sign in.

The app will never be removed so no chance or brick I can see. I do like the menu options when CHBC is booting.

The next thing is to download Wii U USB helper to download all the games you want Or if you want down the moral route, you'd install a homebrew app called disc2app to rip all your legit Wii U games to a HDD or sysnand. Afterwards you should install nintendont for GameCube support in the Wii U's vWii mode.

Last edited by csmcapthy,
Reactions: jellybeangreen2

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

Look here for homebrew apps you want and put them on your sd card: https://gbatemp.net/forums/wii-u-homebrew.281/

Reactions: jellybeangreen2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1