PBallWiz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got my first Wii U console and it is on 5.2.0 U
Is there any reason why I shouldn't update to the current firmware version?
I plan to use Loadiine to run homebrew which apparently works with 5.5.1 but just want to make sure there isn't a reason to stay on 5.2.0.
Thanks!

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just got my first Wii U console and it is on 5.2.0 U
Is there any reason why I shouldn't update to the current firmware version?
I plan to use Loadiine to run homebrew which apparently works with 5.5.1 but just want to make sure there isn't a reason to stay on 5.2.0.
Thanks!
Zero reason to stay on a low firmware as all the latest homebrew runs from 5.5.1

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except that guide recommends to install mocha and rednand which isn't the current recommended path. There have been many reports of mocha and rednand corruption. My guide present all CFW options and let's you choose rather than just say do this step and then this step etc. Then we see those users on here creating threads like "can't boot to rednand, why?"

Also you should never direct link file packs to a guide. Those are going to get outdated unless the authors stays on top of it. That's why I link to the downloads of the files from the author instead of just making a file pack or linking to a direct file version.

I don't know why it recommends to install CBHC then rednand. That's setting up a CFW to launch a CFW to launch an emulated CFW. Talk about over complicating things!

Last edited by Kafluke,

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna hijack the thread to ask, is there an advantage to installing rednand or things like it?
Right now I'm just installing games using loadiine.ovh and running Mocha CFW when a game requires it (dlc).

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe I've been lucky, but redNAND and mocha have worked out perfectly for me on cbhc. I use sysNAND though. I mostly have redNAND, because I started with that (have all games installed to both NANDs), and it's nice to play around with flash files without fear of a brick. :)

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe I've been lucky, but redNAND and mocha have worked out perfectly for me on cbhc. I use sysNAND though. I mostly have redNAND, because I started with that (have all games installed to both NANDs), and it's nice to play around with flash files without fear of a brick. :)
Even FIX94 recommends against using CBHC for mocha or and/or rednand. That's enough for me to stay away

Reactions: godreborn
D

Deleted User

I'm gonna hijack the thread to ask, is there an advantage to installing rednand or things like it?
Right now I'm just installing games using loadiine.ovh and running Mocha CFW when a game requires it (dlc).
No advantages. Don't get fooled, it's the same as normal sysNAND with CFW.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm currently using Haxchi, is there really no benefit to using Rednand or Mocha? It seems like using CBHC would do the job, wouldn't it?

D

Deleted User

I'm currently using Haxchi, is there really no benefit to using Rednand or Mocha? It seems like using CBHC would do the job, wouldn't it?
Nope. Expect for NAND backup [Which only some parts off it can be redumped back to Wii U memory (I think MLC chip has invalid hash from redNAND dump so that's why?)]
CBHC would do the job if you just want automated boot to vWii and sysmenu.
[I suggest installing CBHC Mod which has more functions]

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
I would basically just boot to Sysnand, and use vWii using the channel. Why would you need more?

D

Deleted User

I would basically just boot to Sysnand, and use vWii using the channel. Why would you need more?
If you use homebrew apps alot like SDCaffine, padcon then you would either go full lazy and install that CBHC mod or launch HBLC and launch it from there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended