Hacking Just got a Wii 3.1

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Before anything, better to softmod it, install the HBC, cIOS and BootMii as boot2 (if possible), after having the cIOSes installed use the Firmware Upgrader you want (Eg. 4.1), you'll save a few steps, in the end you just want to have any Waninkoko cIOS installed, so you can do whatever you want, and it is better to install it before any security was done to the Wii SysMenu...!!
smile.gif

0M39A

Trophies
XP
Country
just remember if youre going to update to 4.1 using waninkoko's updater to install a working non stub ios60 first.

and get bootmii installed as boot2 on there asap before you do anything else (i assume your wii is old enough seeings how its on 3.1)

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
What about the Firmware Downgrader MOD v1.24 from Attila? If he uses it, he won't be needing to care about an IOS 60 manual installation.

DeadlyFoez said:
What issues does it have? EVERYTHING

1. You have no trucha bugges IOS's
2. It is not compatible with many mod chips for full features.
3. To make you wi hacked again it take many more steps.
4. There is more that you can do with 4.1 (as far as themes)
5. There is no solid reason for 4.2
6. The official nintendo update will update boot2 to v4, (and that's an issue because if you ever have to use betwiin or something to save your wii then your wii is limited to the about of donor nands that you can use)

The only firmware upgrader from waninkoko that had an issues was the 4.2 upgrader. BUT THERE IS NO GOOD REASON TO BE ON 4.2!!!!!!

I totally agree with you.

dai-a

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
0M39A said:
just remember if youre going to update to 4.1 using waninkoko's updater to install a working non stub ios60 first.

and get bootmii installed as boot2 on there asap before you do anything else (i assume your wii is old enough seeings how its on 3.1)

Don't follow what this guy said about running waninkokos updater.

Just follow Modify any wii guide 3.x to 4.1

or just update via nintendo and follow the modify any wii guide 4.2 method.

0M39A

Trophies
XP
Country
dai-a said:
0M39A said:

Don't follow what this guy said about running waninkokos updater.

Just follow Modify any wii guide 3.x to 4.1

or just update via nintendo and follow the modify any wii guide 4.2 method.

i wasnt recommending that method of updating, i was simply pointing out that if he does use waninkoko's updater (as was suggested earlier in the thread) that he install a working ios60 first.

masterdeluxe247

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
FIRST THING TO DO!!! use banner bomb to run the hackmii installer. Then go into bootmii and do a nand backup. Do that first so no matter how badly you mess it up then you can always go back to fresh (in some cases requires a infectus to restore it).

Then go about and read some guides.

I personally recommend to stick with SM 4.1 because 4.2 has too many issues and it's not worth the upgrade.

Since you are on 3.1, you wii is definately old enough to install bootmii as boot2 which is the best thing since sliced bread, and your wii has a trucha bugged ios.

First use install waninkoko's cIOS 38 rev 14 from HERE, and then use waninkoko's 4.0 firmware upgrader and then his 4.1 firmware upgrader.

From there the possibilities are endless. As long as you have bootmii as boot2 and a nand backup then you are safe (or at least recoverable). There are many guides on this forum to get you what you want.
What issues exactly does 4.2 have? I haven't had any trouble with it all. I'd suggest that you just update through Nintendo through 4.2, considering you have a virgin Wii.

0M39A

Trophies
XP
Country
DeadlyFoez said:
The only firmware upgrader from waninkoko that had an issues was the 4.2 upgrader. BUT THERE IS NO GOOD REASON TO BE ON 4.2!!!!!!

wrong.

read my earlier post. if you dont have a working (non-stubbed) ios60 installed before you run the 4.0 updater, it will download latest version, which is stubbed, and hence will brick you.

0M39A

Trophies
XP
Country
DeadlyFoez said:
0M39A said:
DeadlyFoez said:

wrong.

read my earlier post. if you dont have a working (non-stubbed) ios60 installed before you run the 4.0 updater, it will download latest version, which is stubbed, and hence will brick you.

WOW!! That actually was a news flash to me, and I'm not being sarcastic. Funny thing is that I just ran it about 6 days ago without any issues and I've been on top of every issue that people have been having using wiiscu but I didn't hear of that one, but it does make sense.

SO BASICALLY, if you get the latest non-stubbed IOS60 using nus downloader and install it using wad manager first before running waninkoko's software then you'll be all set.

The moral of my whole story is don't use nintendo's updater.

its on the list of apps that now brick, which everyone should read.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=185935

solidsnake40sw

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok before i do anything, just want to make sure this is correct, so i install bootmii and homebrew channel, make a nand backp, get a cios, install IOS60-patched, run Firmware Updater 4.1, install preloader,
then install these:
IOS38-64-v3610
IOS50-64-v4889
IOS53-64-v5149
IOS55-64-v5149

then i'm done?

Also what does this mean:
boot2 v4 owners cannot downgrade....got this from a guide. Does he mean downgrade to a lower system menu?

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not true, actually. Consoles shipped with boot2v4 can't downgrade to anything lower than 3.4. However, a few people who updated to 4.2 and therefore were upgraded to boot2v4 were able to downgrade to pre 3.4 firmwares without trouble. But this hasn't been tested very much and frankly there's no benefit to downgrading that far anyway. Guides that tell you to go down to 3.2 are old and shouldn't be trusted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)