OP
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Canada
Hey all,

So today, i just passed in to my local Swap Shop and they happened to have a Sega Genesis!
So i bought it. I got 2 controllers and Sonic 2.

I remembered that there were some flash carts out there for the genesis so i searched.
I found the ToToTek one and some info on a NEOFlash one.

Are there any more options, and if there are, are they viable? And what are your recommendations?

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't know much about the Tototek flash carts but I've heard some pretty good things. The good thing about them as well is you can get one that works on the 32x as well. I know it wasn't the most popular machine but it did have the best home version of Virtua Racing (beats the Saturn version hands down) and it's the only home console to have a port of Segas unlicensed Star Wars Arcade.

They're pretty much impossible to find now but you can also get backup units for them. Keep an eye out for the Double Pro Fighter, it allows SNES and Megadrive backups.

Dr Eggman

I am THE Eggman.
OP
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Canada
Well, they have ONE at the ToToTek website, but i was thinking, arent alot of snes roms larger than 1.44MB? SO wouldnt they be too big to fit on a floppy? It says 32M on it, so i assume it can be flashed via parallel cable or something. And 150$ is kinda expensive.

Heres the link BTW
ToToTek Link for Double Pro Fighter

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Dr Eggman said:
Well, they have ONE at the ToToTek website, but i was thinking, arent alot of snes roms larger than 1.44MB? SO wouldnt they be too big to fit on a floppy? It says 32M on it, so i assume it can be flashed via parallel cable or something. And 150$ is kinda expensive.

Heres the link BTW
ToToTek Link for Double Pro Fighter

It splits them across more than one floppy if it's larger than 1.44MB. When a game's on more than 1 floppy it just prompts you to put the next one in when the previous one is finished loading. $150 is expensive, but these days they're like rocking horse shit. Most people that have one don't want to give them up.

Dr Eggman

I am THE Eggman.
OP
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe i might get one when i get the cash. I'm going to trade in some wii games, so that might be soon.
But i'll see. Still 150$ is expensive. But i guess its worth it.

Also, is there some PC Software to split the roms over the floppies?

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Yep, I use SnesTool for the SNES stuff but when I owned a Megadrive copier I used Ucon as it handled both. Iit's called Ucon64 now.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Dr Eggman said:
All right, I'm going to go ahead and order the Double Pro Fighter.
Thanks for the help TrolleyDave!

EDIT: I read that these backup units had problems, should i still order it?

The original versions had problems where the SNES chip would pop out of its socket. It usually happened quite early on in the units life so if they're selling it and it's listed as working perfectly then you probably don't have to worry about it. It's a "if it's survived this long it'll keep going" type thing.

roguetrip

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is a review of the Mega Cart, looks nice, seems to work pretty well.

Expensive........yes........ but imagine how much it cost to get alot of these games these days. I've built a decent collection, but still missing a few of the rare and expensive ones.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Those IHOP chips are actually pretty damn good
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They're made with left over pancake/wafle batter, that's been sitting out all day.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    3 hours on a riding lawn mower, my butt is numb and my whole body is still vibrating. Gonna be a long summer. :cry: I just need to buy some goats.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Did you leave your buttplug in?
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi
    +3
  • Flame @ Flame:
    Ancientboi at it again.
    +2
  • Flame @ Flame:
    is it a bird is it a plane... no its Ancientboi banging your ass away !
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Took along time to fit it in?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Snow days $25 on steam may grab it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Measuring sizes with AncientBoi, I see.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: If you can find enough for it