PS1/2 Just got a PsOne mini + lcd, but...

Red9419

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey temp. I just got a Psone mini with a screen at a yardsale for 8$ so i thought it was a steal. Came home and looked for my cables to plug it in and to my surprise it didn't work. I tried booting it without the screen and it booted into the ps1 menu. Now im left with 2 problems. 1. The psone will spin discs when it feels like it. Usually spins when turned to the side, but occasionally will spin horizontally. Is this the motor or the laser? 2. The Screen did boot with a different cable, but stays at a white screen. It still indicates when the volume goes up or down so i know its not dead. can anyone give me some advice? Thank you.

Red9419

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
1. Or your laser is almost dead, or the motor is almost done for it. (You can buy new ones on ebay)
2. Maybe a loose connector inside the screen.
Thanks for the reply. I just took apart the ps1 and thete was a penny near the motor. I removed it and now it spins 100% of the time, but the laser sounds weird and games lag so i will buy a new laser. The Screen is the same white screen. Does the adapter voltage matter? Its supposed to be a 7.5 v DC? With a 5v the psone blinks green and doesnt boot. With a 12v the psone boot but the screen stays white. When i only connect ot to the psone instead of the passthrough of the screen i can play just fine. So either its the screen connecters or the DC cable im using.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
but the laser sounds weird and games lag so i will buy a new laser.
funny how you found a penny inside.. glad it solved the issue.. shuttering specially on cut-scenes is a common cause of dying laser
but if the penny was stopping the motor.. you most likelly need to get a new one.. but try with the laser first.. (unless shipping both things is more cheap than buying the 2 separate things)

Does the adapter voltage matter?
yes it does matter.. it always matter, wrong voltage will most of the time ruin equipment...
not only voltage but make sure to have a transformer capable of outputting enough amperes... since if its too low it can overheat and kill the transformer..

Red9419

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
funny how you found a penny inside.. glad it solved the issue.. shuttering specially on cut-scenes is a common cause of dying laser
but if the penny was stopping the motor.. you most likelly need to get a new one.. but try with the laser first.. (unless shipping both things is more cheap than buying the 2 separate things)

yes it does matter.. it always matter, wrong voltage will most of the time ruin equipment...
not only voltage but make sure to have a transformer capable of outputting enough amperes... since if its too low it can overheat and kill the transformer..
I can't really find any seperate parts for the laser assembly unless i slavage my own. The whole drive is between 8-15 so i might just buy it all in one. As for the DC cord i cant find an original 7.5V cord so i might take a while looking for one. Thanks for the info.

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did some research before on replacing a PlayStation drive (obviously I needed to fix my own). Basically everyone recommended the PSONE over the other drives as it had the best quality. That said if your laser still works you could buy one of those cheaper drives and swap out the laser. There's one on deal extreme for $9:
http://www.dx.com/p/replacement-las...y-playstation-1-ps1-black-grey-220578#reviews

If the laser itself is busted you could still buy one of those drives but you might have to adjust the pot/laser voltage before it works. I haven't tried any of this yet as I wasn't entirely sure the drive would work with my model (7501 I think).

Red9419

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I did some research before on replacing a PlayStation drive (obviously I needed to fix my own). Basically everyone recommended the PSONE over the other drives as it had the best quality. That said if your laser still works you could buy one of those cheaper drives and swap out the laser. There's one on deal extreme for $9:
http://www.dx.com/p/replacement-las...y-playstation-1-ps1-black-grey-220578#reviews

If the laser itself is busted you could still buy one of those drives but you might have to adjust the pot/laser voltage before it works. I haven't tried any of this yet as I wasn't entirely sure the drive would work with my model (7501 I think).
I forgot about the pot tweak. I will try that first before buying the laser. Thanks for the info
Edit. Do PS1 laser assemblies work on a Psone

Last edited by Red9419,
Reactions: Vanth88

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot about the pot tweak. I will try that first before buying the laser. Thanks for the info
Edit. Do PS1 laser assemblies work on a Psone

As far as I know PSONE drives work on any PS model, but do earlier versions work on a PSONE? Probably. I don't see why not but I kind of wonder if it would be worth it at that point.

Like I said you probably want to buy a cheap replacement instead of butchering an early PS. You could even find an original (used of course) drive. Still... I'm curious as to how well those cheaper drives work.

Red9419

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
As far as I know PSONE drives work on any PS model, but do earlier versions work on a PSONE? Probably. I don't see why not but I kind of wonder if it would be worth it at that point.

Like I said you probably want to buy a cheap replacement instead of butchering an early PS. You could even find an original (used of course) drive. Still... I'm curious as to how well those cheaper drives work.
Im disassembling my Psone to do the pot tweak. I have no multimeter so if i fry the laser i could just buy a cheap laser online.

Red9419

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Idk, but can't you fix the height of the laser unit like you can on the PS2?
Otherwise I found this cheap one for you on ebay ;) http://www.ebay.com/itm/280887379030
And a cheaper one without shipping costs
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/252169299694
Thanks for the reply. Would this assembly work? http://m.ebay.com/itm/KSM-440BAM-La...3D291678180723&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460
I assume since the ribbon/flex cable is in the same position as mine ( unlike the ps1 which is in a J shape). It will work

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.