Just got a ps3 and having a few questions.

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by TerryG, May 6, 2013.

1. TerryG
    OP

TerryG GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    I just got home from buying a ps3 that I was told was "jailbroken with rogero". I get home, hook it up, and sign in to one of the current user accounts just to make sure the system is working ok. I notice it has rogero manager and multiman installed, and backup launching seemed to work, so I assume everything is good.

My questions are what should be my first steps? Should I update anything? The system shows the firmware as 3.55, is that the version of the cfw too? Is there any certain way I should go about removing all the old stuff from previous users so that I don't mess up the system.

Thanks

2. mechadylan

mechadylan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 18, 2009
    United States
    Sounds like it's on CFW 3.55; unless it's spoofed to 3.55 which wouldn't make much sense. Factory reset on kmeaw 3.55 shouldn't be a problem; I've done it at least twice (not certain about other 3.55 CFWs tho.) If you're the overly cautious type, I suppose you could install OFW 3.55 first, factory reset and then install the current 4.xx CFW of your choice.

3. TerryG
    OP

TerryG GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    Not to sound dumb, (I just want to make sure I get it right) I should install the OFW 3.55 from a usb drive, then do a reset, then I can install whatever CFW from the usb drive?

Thanks

4. mechadylan

Aug 18, 2009
    United States
    Yup. Find ofw 3.55, verify md5, set up usb stick and update. Remove any disk from the drive, of course.

TerryG likes this.
  5. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    Backup the NAND/NOR first in case something goes wrong. After you install 4.xx CFW back up the NAND/NOR again and make sure you block updates (disc and online) with the best current method.

mechadylan and TerryG like this.
  6. TerryG
    OP

TerryG GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    Excellent. Thanks a ton, I really appreciate it.

7. mechadylan

Aug 18, 2009
    United States
    You may have to get the latest Multiman for better compatibility. Multiman update feature from within mM has been down for a while.

8. ccmalls19
    This message by ccmalls19 has been removed from public view by p1ngpong, May 6, 2013.
    May 6, 2013
  9. TerryG
    OP

TerryG GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    I installed Rebug 4.41.2 Lite, the latest Multiman, and enabled QA with rebug toolbox. Everything seems to be working ok, now I just need to figure out exactly what the previous owner had going on with the fan. Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it.

mschumacher69 likes this.