PS1/2 Just got a ps2, have some questions....

triassic911

Burst Mode
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi. So yeah, when it comes to playing backups, I'm no stranger. my gamecube, wii, 360 all are modified to play backups. Heck, I even have flashcarts for my GBA and DS! Ok so the thing is, I'm new to the ps2. I'm going to get a modchip installed and I have a couple of questions.

1. What is a good burning speed?

2. Is there anything special you have to do to a ps2 iso? Or just unrar and burn?

3. What about ps1 games? Unrar and burn?

4. Can I put more than 1 ps1 game on a dvd?

I'm assuming I use DVD-R. Anyways could someone please help me out? Thanks.

triassic911

Burst Mode
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm asking the questions here!

I bought it for $129 at Walmart. As for what kind of modchip, I have no idea yet, my boss will install it for me. For free.

Anyway, what's the deal with dual layered games? Do they have a specific layerbreak?

Link5084

Sword & Shield at your service
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
triassic911 said:
Hi. So yeah, when it comes to playing backups, I'm no stranger. my gamecube, wii, 360 all are modified to play backups. Heck, I even have flashcarts for my GBA and DS! Ok so the thing is, I'm new to the ps2. I'm going to get a modchip installed and I have a couple of questions.

2. Is there anything special you have to do to a ps2 iso? Or just unrar and burn?

Haha, sorry. Just wanted to ask. Anyways, here are your answers

1. 2.4

2. You need to patch it using the ESR tool provided in playbyday's topic here (PS2 softmod). Go look at his topic

3. For PS1 games, I think you need a special modchip for that but I'm not sure.

4. No, they must be burned to a CD-R

And for your dual layered games question, I'm not sure. Only God of War II supports that but I dont know any other game

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
triassic911 said:

1. 2x - 4x speed. (Go for 2x)- 4x on certain games, screws with my pS2 and lags bad.

2. You need to patch it with the ESR patcher (Google) but I think its in one of the threads

3. I believe so yes, Also though, I've seen a few CD games that have been converted to a DVD format to.

4. Most require CD-R's at which point, i dont suppose you can fit more than 2 on it.

Yeah just DVD-R, except God of War 2, but there's a few "God of War 2 " ISO's that will fit on normal DVD-R's that aren't dual layered.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sstew said:
2. You need to patch it with the ESR patcher (Google) but I think its in one of the threads

if he has a modchip (which he said he does have on his ps2) you do not need to patch any ps2 games at all, just extract and burn and play, thats it, if it's a softmod he is using then it's a different story.

also recent dvdr media supports high speeds, you no longer need to burn dvdrs at 2x speed on 16x media, burn on average 8x or 6x or you will be there forever.

no, you cannot put a ps1 game on a dvd, it has to be cdr, only game you will have problem burning is god of war, i end up buying those games as they are a bitch to burn and play.

Rod

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
2x or 4x. I usually use 4x, RARELY have any problem.

Nope, that's just it. If you've burned a Wii iso before, you've burned a PS2 iso before.

Same thing, I guess. Some PS2's may have a bit of difficulties booting PS1, like it's my case ): , but that depends on your modchip, I guess. Still, the recording procedure's the same. But you may want to keep in mind that...

NO, and there's absolutely no "but" on that! PS1 games can only be recorded on CD-Rs, period.

triassic911

Burst Mode
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the help guys! I'm gonna burn Kingdom Hearts right now and let you know how it goes.

Also, damn I really want to play some dl games like God of War and 50 cent bulletproof.... So there's no way to burn dl games?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
There are plenty of shrinking and rip kits out there to reduce DVD9 to DVD5. Just search...

stab244

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since this also seems like a good place to ask this, but does using DVD+R make any difference? I used them on Star Wars: Force Unleashed and Call of Duty: World at War and it seemed to work better with DVD+R when I use those instead.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
triassic911 said:
Thanks for the help guys! I'm gonna burn Kingdom Hearts right now and let you know how it goes.

Also, damn I really want to play some dl games like God of War and 50 cent bulletproof.... So there's no way to burn dl games?

You can burn dl games. Just use a dual layer disc. Have to patch with toxic dual layer patcher though or switch on auto patching if your mod has the option for it.

triassic911

Burst Mode
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok so everything went smooth. Game loaded and everything ran fine. Can't save though, no memory card yet. Anyway about this toxic patch thing... Sounds easier then compressing it to dvd5. So just patch and burn? No layerbreak?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
triassic911 said:
Ok so everything went smooth. Game loaded and everything ran fine. Can't save though, no memory card yet. Anyway about this toxic patch thing... Sounds easier then compressing it to dvd5. So just patch and burn? No layerbreak?

Just patch or if your chip has the option ,switch on dl support and burn to a dl disc, that's it. Layerbreak can just be left on calculate optimal in imgburn , if you use a +r booktype it as dvd-rom. If it doesn't work , then it's simply your ps2 can't read burnt dual layers/that brand of dual layer.

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rod said:
2x or 4x. I usually use 4x, RARELY have any problem.

Nope, that's just it. If you've burned a Wii iso before, you've burned a PS2 iso before.

Same thing, I guess. Some PS2's may have a bit of difficulties booting PS1, like it's my case ): , but that depends on your modchip, I guess. Still, the recording procedure's the same. But you may want to keep in mind that...

NO, and there's absolutely no "but" on that! PS1 games can only be recorded on CD-Rs, period.

EDIT:
Shit, my bad ignore that last post, I wasn't paying attention to the fact that Marvel VS Capcom 2 is a PS2 game, My bad, My bad

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes you can play them. How ever if your tv doesn't support pal , you'll have to force ntsc output , which will result in part of the picture being cut off.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality