Just got a new 3DS XL; what can I do to play ROMs?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by RosayyyOverstreet, Oct 17, 2015.

1. RosayyyOverstreet
    OP

RosayyyOverstreet Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Hi! I just got a new (used) 3DS XL (version 10.1.0-27) and I've heard there are ways to play ROMs via SD card. I've researched some stuff (and I will continue to do so) but I saw this website and thought I'd ask on the forum if anyone can give me bulletproof instructions on how to do this. Any tips are greatly appreciated ;) Thanks!

2. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    On 10.1 system firmware, the only option right now is Sky3DS.

3. RosayyyOverstreet
    OP

RosayyyOverstreet Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Ahhh, okay, I did see something about that. Thanks for such a quick reply!

4. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    You're welcome. If you have a chance to return it, though, you might want to consider it and get one that's on 9.2 or below, then you can use a CFW and not need to buy a flash cartridge. If I'm not misunderstanding your original post, finding an old 3ds XL (not the "New" model with faster processing and such) on 9.2 or below shouldn't be difficult at all. if you did mean the "New" model, then it's up to you if you want to try that; they're a lot harder to find, though.

5. RosayyyOverstreet
    OP

RosayyyOverstreet Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Eh, since I can't return it (got it from eBay) I'm thinking I might go ahead with the Sky3DS option. Looking for something relatively simple, and if I have to pay some money for lots of free roms, I might go for it :)

6. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Minus eShop games (it cannot play any, only retail cartridge ROMs), Sky3DS will play pretty much every 3DS game available (I think there are what, two games it can't play due to new anti-piracy?). Just note that Sky3DS is not region-free (without using homebrew), so you'll need to use games from the same region as your 3DS. However, if you're willing to use homebrew, you can use regionFive when it's out to play out of region games on your Sky3DS.

7. controlepw

controlepw Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2015
    Brazil
    Last edited by controlepw, Oct 17, 2015
  8. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United States
    Bullet Hell
    This isn't what OP was asking. Yes, homebrew is available to virtually all systems now, but homebrew is only homebrew (including running emeulators) and OP was asking about running 3ds roms from flashcart... and as Daxtsu pointed out, being on firmware higher than 9.2 means Sky3ds is the only option for that.

Last edited by duwen, Oct 17, 2015
  9. controlepw

controlepw Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2015
    Brazil
    oh, ok then. Really thought OP was thinking of some sort of homebew.

10. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United States
    Bullet Hell
    Well, he's actually asking about 'playing roms from SD card'... so he could be talking about roms on emulators via homebrew, or cia's on emunand, or 3ds roms on flashcart... who knows?! We're all right!