Just got a letter from my ISP

hullo8d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Memino said:
I got warned by my uni after downloading just one torrent on their network, they basically threatened to kick me out if it happened again so anyone using a college/university computer under their own username be very careful. Btw I never understood the threat of closing down your internet, what if you just go to another isp?
I'm not sure how things are handled in Europe, but in America, services that need any type of landlines are monopolized and distributed in sections. So having you ISP disconnect you would really limit your choices in ISPs; you'd have to go with alternatives such as satellite or good old-fashioned dial up.

xakota

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I started finished high school when I was 14 and started college, and am going for a degree in Computer Science. I find it amazing that my parents don't listen to me when I try to explain these things to them. I really do.

But I'm just ranting now.

xakota

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They aren't numbered like that at my school. I'm starting Computer Science 210 (Data Structures) a week from today.

Dangy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm, that sucks, I use Mediacom. I'm nit allowed to torrent anyway, I just use direct downloads.

geminisama

Metsu
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
My old ISP, Cox, used to do the same thing to me. They alerted me by temp. blocking my web, telling me it was three strikes policy, and to delete the questionable material. I got he alerts 4 times (nothing happened), and EVERY time it was because of movies. You really should be using private trackers as is, but if you do movies, MAKE SURE YOU'RE PROTECTED BEHIND A PRIVATE TRACKER, AND PEER BLOCKING TOOLS OF SOME SORT. Movies are the most dangerous things to pirate,

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
See, I don't know a thing about hiding from stuff when I'm downloading new movies from uTorrent, but my ISP are pretty lenient and haven't given us a warning or anything. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to know.

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
See, I don't know a thing about hiding from stuff when I'm downloading new movies from uTorrent, but my ISP are pretty lenient and haven't given us a warning or anything. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to know.

Peerblock bro make sure u update them lists.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
hmm, lucky me here i've got several internet cafes to choose from. so even if i download copyrighted content. they won't know it's me. i guess.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I've realized is that you can pretty much be safe torrenting anything except movies, with tv being probably the second riskiest, movies are easy to find direct downloads to anyway, just use jdownloader and you're good to go

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
there are many forums that post up links where you can just download pirated material from file hosting services.

- glad this stuff doesn't happen here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: (not my chat status, my actual forum title, such as "Well-known user")