Hacking Just got a homebrew wiiu can someone please clarify?

Westwoodo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have just purchased a wiiu from someone locally it is already set up with the homebrew channel (but my homebrew channel looks full?) and runs wii games from a hdd perfectly it also plays emulators fine, I have been reading about how to get wad's to install and play correctly and have read that I need to install a program called multi mod manager.......

My problem is that every guide I read states you should already have a back up of your nand and keys (I know why you should) and shows how to go about getting these from scratch but I already have the homebrew channel installed so how do I go about getting my nand and keys backed up and then installing MMM and installing wad's?

I also read about different IOS versions clashing?

Sorry for the wall of text but I have included some pictures to try and show what I mean and to show what version IOS I am running:

289yjxe.jpg

2ziy3ix.jpg

Thanks in advance and sorry if this goes against any site rules!

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

JVC2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is almost no need in backing up keys,etc unless you can hardmod it back to normal(Which I havent heard of yet).

You could install WADS,but only vWii ones,and if you dont know about searching or securing one,there is also a program to transform them to vWii,just dont install any you find before verifying.

Also adding in anything that was used on Wii(emulators and backup loaders mostly) is ok.

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is almost no need in backing up keys,etc unless you can hardmod it back to normal(Which I havent heard of yet).

You could install WADS,but only vWii ones,and if you dont know about searching or securing one,there is also a program to transform them to vWii,just dont install any you find before verifying.

Also adding in anything that was used on Wii(emulators and backup loaders mostly) is ok.

That statement above in bold is incorrect.
The reason you backup your keys(usually at the same time with your NAND) is in case you or more accurately a piece of software you run(that you do not fully understand how it works) corrupts your vIOS. If you cannot extract your own good working vIOS from your decrypted backed up NAND, you will have to rely on the kindness of strangers to solve your problem.

JVC2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That statement above in bold is incorrect.
The reason you backup your keys(usually at the same time with your NAND) is in case you or more accurately a piece of software you run(that you do not fully understand how it works) corrupts your vIOS. If you cannot extract your own good working vIOS from your decrypted backed up NAND, you will have to rely on the kindness of strangers to solve your problem.

Thanks for the correction.I really dont see the end user on relying on this if he follows the safe way to install vWii wads.

Westwoodo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the replies my specific question was do I need to do anything differently as I already have the homebrew channel installed and some guides (on this site and others) say I need to use the smash bros exploit to install wads and others say I don't?

natiels

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the guide I followed to get my nand + key on my vWii. The very first part of the guide is doing the nand backup. After that you can stop since from your screenshots it looks like you already have cios installed.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-install-cios-on-vwii-backup-nand-and-keys.339890/

You don't need to use the smash bros exploit. All that does is give you a way to run custom code and it is usually used for the purpose of installing the homebrew channel. Once you have the homebrew channel installed you can download apps and put them into the apps directory of your sd card to run them. Be very careful with wads on the vWii as some of them will brick it. Make sure you research beforehand to be sure that others have installed them without issues on a vWii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.