Just got a GBA SP, is EZ Flash IV the best card for it?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by nintennuendo, Sep 20, 2009.

1. nintennuendo
    OP

Newcomer nintennuendo Advanced Member

United States
    I just want it for Final Fantasies, MegaMans, maybe Pokemon, no riviera or anything huge like that. No Kingdom Hearts here.

I have a DS but I hate playing GBA games on it, even legit carts. I have FFVI that I bought recently for 20$, but even real carts, I just hate having the empty screen and the extra buttons. I know, I'm picky, I shouldn't've wasted my money. I know. But there it is. The gba was only 25$, FFVI 20$, and the EZ Flash IV looks like 35$ and I have some microSD cards lying around. Couple questions:

Are there games it CAN NOT play? Does it take microSDHC? Is 8GB their limit? What else do I need to know?

edit: so I just played FFVI on my GBA and then on the SP and the frontlight is really bad. i'll stick with my DS

2. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    EEPROM save type games require SRAM patching. Pokemon games require RTC patching.

ALL GBA flashcarts only support a MAX of 2GB, internal and external storage.

You need to use the EZClient program to patch most of your stuff.

3. monzamess

Newcomer monzamess Member

United States
    Get a backlit SP, or if you can stand the small screen, the GBA Micro. Both have excellent screens. The EZ Flash IV works well in either. 2GB holds a LOT of GBA games.

4. poipo32

Newcomer poipo32 Member

Canada
    I own an EZ Flash IV and a Supercard Mini SD, but since I got the EZ Flash IV I don't use my supercard at all, I had a lot of problems with it (specially its kernel).
    I had no problems with the EZ Flash IV nor with game compatibility or kernel.
    The only downsides of the EZ Flash IV are, in my opinion, the very hard to remove mini SD and
    the saving when you turn on the EZ Flash IV because with some games it is pretty long.

5. TM2-Megatron

Member TM2-Megatron Predacon Commander

Canada
    The EZ-Flash IV is definitely the easiest GBA flashcart to find these days, and it also has a pretty good performance record.

The only one I'd recommend above it is one of the M3 Perfect models... they have the best GBA compatibility of any GBA Flash cart, I believe; and a real-time-clock as well for Pokemon/etc. games. They're a heck of a lot more expensive, though.

6. crashman

Newcomer crashman Newbie

United States
    I'm in the same boat as the OP but I've had my GBA SP for a while now but I'm wondering if there is a difference between.....

this: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11179

and this: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22019

the believe the first one is permanently 'out of stock' so my only option is the 2nd (if I don't want to spend a ton on a EZ Flash IV) but I just want to make sure I'm getting something legit. Anyone know?

or does anyone know of another place where I could get one fairly inexpensive?

thanks

7. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    Everything extra is stripped out, the fancy box, the cable and card reader. Your only paying for the flashcart in a cardboard box. DX is the lowest your gonna get.

8. Todderbert

Member Todderbert GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I just recieved mine a week ago, its legit and works perfectly. I am using a Kingston 2gig Micro with the Mini adapter. I changed the skin right away because the starwars one was pretty lame.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22019