Just got a 3DS looking to buy a flashcard

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Rockerflare, Jun 24, 2011.

Jun 24, 2011
  1. Rockerflare
    OP

Newcomer Rockerflare Member

United States
    Before I begin, I live in New York in the United States.
    So I just got a 3DS running version 2.0 yesterday as a graduation present.
    I've been researching and researching and researching the flashcards for the 3DS and I'm very overwhelmed with the information.

I've learned to not update to 2.1 yet until I get a card since the card cannot be updated properly on the 2.1 version. So I'm holding off on that. Mainly I'm just very confused on:
    1) where do I buy a flashcard, I've been looking at acekard 2i (which their website is so conveniently not working at the moment), the r4 card and others. I cannot find a reputable website that sells any of these. I live in New York, USA. So I'm trying to find one that will send to me fairly quick within a week or two. I would also like it to come with a microsd card, microsd card reader (USB or SD) and the flashcard itself.
    2) do the cards work with the 3DS?
    3) if they end up hacking the 3DS and learning how to fully utilize the 3D will the existing cards be able to be updated or will I have to buy an entirely different card? (I understand if this cannot be answered now since no one really knows about the 3DS status)
    4) is there any lag or any graphic loss when using the flashcards?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. I'm so new to this and I'm very eager to buy one.
    I'm very sorry if these questions have been asked before I just feel safer asking these now instead of reading a thread that's over a year old with outdated information.

2. Red_Gh0st

Member Red_Gh0st GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Buy a AK2i from shoptemp. It works on 3ds, good updates and game compatibiity

3. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    You can't buy anything from ShopTemp. ShopTemp is basically a portal for shopping sites with reviews and price comparisons. It used to sell flashcards, but it stopped (I forget why. Problems with PayPal or something like that I think).

4. Red_Gh0st

United States
    Ohh, it's been a lot since I entered to shoptemp, thanks for correcting

5. Rockerflare
    OP

United States
    Aha thanks for the effort of helping!
    I was going to use console source but I've heard bad reviews from them. I just need a place that is known to sell legitimate cards. I'm looking for it to come with a microsd card, microsd card reader and the flashcard itself.

6. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Check reviews of various sites at ShopTemp. Its basically a site where people can review sites selling flashcards, mainly people from the community here I believe. Then you should be able to find a reliable site to buy from (in theory anyway).

7. Red_Gh0st

United States
    Try lightake.com, I've bought from them before

They hav good prices

8. linuxGuru

Member linuxGuru GBAtemp Regular

United States
  9. Rockerflare
    OP

United States
    Thanks, consolesource seems to have gotten great reviews on tha website. I'm willing to pay a little extra for good service. I'm just sketchy since I've never bought anything like this before.

10. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    That depends entirely on one's micro SD card. Assuming you have a decent micro SD card, it is likely that you will not experience any lag or graphic loss. I feel that it is important to note here, however, that playing any DS game on the 3DS (through the use of a flashcart or retail) looks a little rougher than if it were played on a normal DS/DSi. This is due to the increased resolution of the 3DS. However, the difference isn't that noticeable and you should not let that deter you.

11. Rockerflare
    OP

United States
    Thank you so much lacius [​IMG]

I was actually wrong about the software version that I am on. Right now I am on 1.0.0-0U, should I wait to update to 2.1.0-3U?

12. Lacius

United States
    No. If you are on 1.0, then you were right before. Your Acekard 2i is more likely to work on 1.0 than it is to work on 2.1. In order to update your Acekard 2i to work on 2.1, you need some kind of DS/DSi/3DS that works with the Acekard 2i in order to run the update file.

If you update to 2.1, your Acekard 2i might not be pre-updated to work with 2.0-2.1 and you will need to find another DS somewhere in order to run the update file.

If you remain on 1.0, it is more likely that the Acekard 2i will already work on it, and you will be able to run the update the file on the Acekard and then update the 3DS to 2.1.

I hope that all made sense.

13. brandonspikes

Member brandonspikes King Erazer

United States
  14. Rockerflare
    OP

United States
    Ahh you answered my question before I even posted it! Thank you so much, I'll definitely order from them.
    You guys are so helpful, thank you so so much!

15. brandonspikes

United States
    It means you dont need to update the card, its updated for the latest 3ds firmware.

Realhotstuff is the best place to order if you live on the east cost.

Also, don't buy it with the memory card, buy one separate from newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820208461 4gb Memory 12$ after shipping

OR you can spend 3 dollars more and get an 8 gb Memory http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820208453

http://realhotstuff.com/acekard-free-shipping-p-321.html $18

Dont go 2gb, you will run out FAST.

16. Lacius

United States
    If the Acekard 2i you get is pre-updated to work with 3DS version 2.0, as they claim, then it would not matter if you updated your 3DS to 2.1. However, I recommend you stay on 1.0 for the time being. When you receive your Acekard, check and see if the game icon is a chess symbol (for the game Chessmaster). If it is, then it is safe to update to 2.1. If it is not, you need to manually update your Acekard to work with 2.0-2.1.

As for the site, it's actually where I got my Acekard 2i. Although it was a year ago, my experience with them was 100% positive.

17. Rockerflare
    OP

United States
    Thank you for all of your help, all of your explanations are much easier to follow than the other websites I've visited!

18. brandonspikes

United States
    Read my edited post, dont buy the one with the memory card, buy the acekard from my link, the shipping is free, otherwise you would have to pay them like 8 dollars to ship the acekard, and for that price you can buy a better memory card from newegg(who also ships from NJ, but sometimes from Cali)

19. vodoochild81

Member vodoochild81 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Is there any way to get a original R4 with the custom Wood firmware to work on a 3ds?

20. Nebz

Member Nebz The N00b

United States
    To simply answer... no.