Gaming Just got a 360, what chip should i get?

misticknight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
well topic says it all really, if it helps it's an Australian 360, Pro console, and it's the one that camewith KungFu Panda and Lego IJ with it. Dunno what chip to get. ALso how much do you think i should pay, a guy who lives near me said it's $160 for the chip and his labor but i think thats a bit much.

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You seem to not know much about playing backups on your 360. To get 360 Backups playing you flash your DVD Drive.

First go find out what DVD Drive you have. If you have a Lite-on you'll need to find a guide on spoofing because lite-ons are currently un flashable. If you have anything other than a lite-on then you will be able to play it. A guide for flashing can be obtained here

To find out what DVD Drive you have you can either: 1) Open your 360 and look at the sticker on top of your drive or 2) Take off your faceplate and look at the hole in the front of the DVD drive.

Circuit board and red wire= Samsung:
360dvdhole%20007.jpg

Black plastic divot = Hitachi
360dvdhole%20005.jpg

White wires and empty space = Benq
360dvdhole%20006.jpg

I'm not sure about the Lite-on one. If you have a different looking hole that those 3 you may have a lite-on. And considering you have JUST got your 360 the chances of you having a lite-on it very, very high.

misticknight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ok this may "illegal" to ask, but can you backup games with any Dual Layer DVD or do you need a special one like the Wii?

jbondsr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah. There's not really a chip for the 360 yet like there was for the original Xbox.
The reason, simply put, is that we don't have custom firmware/OS for the dashboard.

The flash that we currently have is used on the DVD-drive itself, to allow it to read/boot backups and imports.

Most of the "testing" equipment you see for sale on the market is to flash these drives.

I recommend the X360 USB in conjunction with the Connectivity Kit v3. (Both made by Team Xecuter)

Also, if you have the money to burn, go with the Blaster 360 NEXT Edition, so you don't have to open your case again next time you want to to a HD transfer or firmware update. (Also made by Team Xecuter.)

I'm not advertising, but these are what I found to be useful.
If there are any other products you find with similar functions, they should work just as well.

Of course, there are methods to flash firmware without any of this equipment, but the process is a little bit more difficult, and your PC may need to meet certain specifications. (Like specific SATA controller chips, etc.)

Do a little more research, and then decide.

Hope this helps.

cardyology

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you bought your console brand-spanking new then it will 99% have a Liteon drive in it.

Due to stock rotation, the majority of NEW 360's in stores worldwide now have lite-on drives in them as this is now the only drive microsoft use. Regardless of if its a pro/arcade/elite.

Word.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
misticknight said:
ok this may "illegal" to ask, but can you backup games with any Dual Layer DVD or do you need a special one like the Wii?

The Wii dosent need special discs, I use plain dvd-r's, for 360 use good quality dual layers, I use Verbatims, they arent cheap but they work great! With cheap discs I have a massive failure rate when burning!

edit: I realised you are probably taking about what drive to use lol, yeah you need a special dvd drive to do backups
tongue.gif

google is your friend for which one
yaypsp.gif

misticknight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Prime said:
You seem to not know much about playing backups on your 360. To get 360 Backups playing you flash your DVD Drive.

First go find out what DVD Drive you have. If you have a Lite-on you'll need to find a guide on spoofing because lite-ons are currently un flashable. If you have anything other than a lite-on then you will be able to play it. A guide for flashing can be obtained here

To find out what DVD Drive you have you can either: 1) Open your 360 and look at the sticker on top of your drive or 2) Take off your faceplate and look at the hole in the front of the DVD drive.

Circuit board and red wire= Samsung:
360dvdhole%20007.jpg

Black plastic divot = Hitachi
360dvdhole%20005.jpg

White wires and empty space = Benq
360dvdhole%20006.jpg

I'm not sure about the Lite-on one. If you have a different looking hole that those 3 you may have a lite-on. And considering you have JUST got your 360 the chances of you having a lite-on it very, very high.

hi, i just checked my drive now, from what i can see theres a black empty hole infront of the DVD, which drive do you think i have?

sudeki300

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
just have a look at your drive tray to find out what drive you have, there are many pics on the net of the different drive trays. if you have a lite on you will have to hve the drive spoofed with another drive such as a samsung / benq and that drive put in the 360. if you want to burn backups you will need a good burner, the burner of choice is a pioneer 111d or 112 or 115 use one of these burners with verbatim dual layer discs and you will have no troubles. all chip's for the 360 are rubbish and not worth the money or time.........................sudeki300

misticknight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
well tbh i dont even want to chip it, but my brother is the one who bought it (i payed a bit to help but not enough to call it my own) and if he can't chip it he'll return it. i'll try and talk him out of it though.

also from the looks of things i seem to have a BenQ, the drive looks the same as the pic i saw on the net, and i lookedin the whole a little closer and i think i can see some white wires. Does this mean i dont need to change the DVD drive and just flash it? And if thats the case is $80 (AUD) worth it cause thats how much the same guy who was gonna charge me $160 (i found out now for the DVD replacement included) was going to charge.

gumbyscout

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jbondsr said:
Yeah. There's not really a chip for the 360 yet like there was for the original Xbox.
The reason, simply put, is that we don't have custom firmware/OS for the dashboard.

The flash that we currently have is used on the DVD-drive itself, to allow it to read/boot backups and imports.

Most of the "testing" equipment you see for sale on the market is to flash these drives.

I recommend the X360 USB in conjunction with the Connectivity Kit v3. (Both made by Team Xecuter)

Also, if you have the money to burn, go with the Blaster 360 NEXT Edition, so you don't have to open your case again next time you want to to a HD transfer or firmware update. (Also made by Team Xecuter.)

If there are any other products you find with similar functions, they should work just as well.

Of course, there are methods to flash firmware without any of this equipment, but the process is a little bit more difficult, and your PC may need to meet certain specifications. (Like specific SATA controller chips, etc.)

Hope this helps.
There are several mod chips for the xbox 360.... Like the Infectus or NME 2.0.

sudeki300

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the thing about getting a lite-on drive is that you are going to have to pay for a replacment drive to be flashed and put in place of the lite-on in your 360. so this could be expensive than just a normal flash..........................sudeki300

sudeki300

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
jbondsr said:

The DVD-drive itself, to he flash that we currently have is used on tallow it to read/boot backups and imports.

Hope this helps.

i don't think any drive that has been firmware flashed can play imports that is not true. they con only play backups for the region of the console and of course region free games.............................sudeki300

cocomonk22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whatever you do, do NOT chip it! Mod chips cause incompatibilities with the New Xbox Experience, Media Updates, and Xbox Live among other things.

Since you believe you have a BenQ, you can just flash it with new firmware (see nfo here).

It sounds like you'd rather have someone else flash it than yourself, so for price comparison, the equipment needed to do it yourself can be purchased for under $15 for equipment for opening the 360 and the right Serial Raid Controller and the process can be done in as little as five minutes.

gumbyscout

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cocomonk22 said:
Whatever you do, do NOT chip it! Mod chips cause incompatibilities with the New Xbox Experience, Media Updates, and Xbox Live among other things.

Since you believe you have a BenQ, you can just flash it with new firmware (see nfo here).
Dude, I have a NME 2.0 and I've had zero problems.

misticknight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
is it true a solution for the lite-on drives is coming in around a months time, cause i just called a supplier to ask how much he charges for changing the drives and then flashing and he said he's getting a new firmware upgrade in a motnh that works on lite-on drives.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/kTzpzBF.mp4