Just finished phantom hourglass

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by wovva, Oct 24, 2007.

Oct 24, 2007

Just finished phantom hourglass by wovva at 1:47 PM (2,097 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. wovva
    OP

Newcomer wovva Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    It was fantastic - is it the best handheld Zelda ever made?

I really enjoyed it - it wasn't that hard BUT I think it was pitched about right. Eactly the sort of game I love Nintendo for, and my DSL had been lying around for a couple of months, so it's been revived...

what's the next AAA coming out then?

2. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Definitely not the best handheld Zelda. Oracle of Seasons & Ages and Links Awakening are miles better.

First time I completed I loved it though I felt like I've played it all before and it was stupidly easy. The second time I didn't enjoy it that much, kinda fount it boring to be honest. The dungeon bits felt like a chore. Every proper Zelda game I've played apart from maybe Minish Cap have had excellent replay value, this one I fount very lacking second time round.

Next triple A title for me is Dementium: The Ward, Nintendo's next big title is probably Mario Party DS though I can't say I'm that fussed about it.

3. wovva
    OP

Newcomer wovva Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Awakening was the one I would say is my favourite, i'm not sure if that was because I was 13 years old then and played my original gameboy to death or because it was a better game.

I'm more patient in my old age so I like plot development more than I ever did, and I think that this one did that better than awakening.

Minish cap is actually my least favourite Zelda title (I never played the 3DO games!).

Not bothered by Marion Party, I haven't played the 8 console games so I can't see a DS version turning me round. When I think about the great games I've played this year, Hourglass, Twilight Princess, Resi 4, Paper Mario etc. I know that I will love Metroid when it comes out here and obviously Mario but outside those 2 I'm not sure about big titles for DS and Wii...am I missing something?

Hopefully Nintendo won't let its dominance slip with a dirth of quality titles.

4. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Theres many of great quality titles to come.

Get ready for a plug...

Stay tuned for my "NDS Titles Due Next Week Threads". Theres a few next week that look tasty and then its a flood every week. [​IMG]

5. iori-kyo-k

Member iori-kyo-k GBAtemp Fan

France
    This Zelda was a really good one for me, adding more emotional themes than the older ones like the "Oracle" one and "Link's Awakening".

The end when Linebeck goes away while you spend so much time learning to appreciate him is frustating and kinda reminded me of "Okami" ending too.

The stylus is so used in this game that it should be an exemple of the DS exemple for RPG and/or action games. I don't understand people complaining about this "all with stylus" gameplay and wanting to run around with the D-Pad.

Great great game I won't forget soon, every Zelda game kinda leaves a mark on me \o/

6. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Well stated. My sentiments exactly.

And everything I've played since finishing PH (twice!) has been "meh," even when it was good. [​IMG]

7. Kellicros

Member Kellicros GBAtemp Fan

It is a great game indeed, albeit too short but every second spent was a gem to me anyway.

I actually loved the stylus control over the d-pad, which usually makes my hand cramps after a while.

my only complain with the stylus control would be the rolling, I find hard to be done properly. :|

8. dexmix

Member dexmix GBAtemp Regular

United States
    if you do a tiny double tap to the edge of the touch screen - its easier to roll than trying to do a small circle.

9. Sailor

Member Sailor GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I don't understand that part [​IMG]

10. Twiffles

Member Twiffles танковые победы

Germany
    I guess he means, all the games he's played after beating Phantom Hourglass twice have just been not able to reach the level that PH reached in greatness. Well at least that's what I think he said. >_>

11. Rev Jim

Newcomer Rev Jim Advanced Member

Guyana
    How long did it take you guys through on the first try?

I looked at a FAQ last night, and it seems that it will be a fairly short game.

Not sure I really care for they stylus, or actually for the notion of having to use the sylus for everything all the time. I usually play my DS in bed before sleeping and it's inda a pain for any longer than say 20 minutes of gameplay.

[​IMG] I liked Minish Cap. Like this one too, prob won't play twice...but I did beat HL2 for like the third time last night [​IMG] - prob a personal record for most times beat one game before, well maybe Super Metroid I might have beat three times counting the remake.

12. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Meaning, even games that I think are good, such as Chibi Robo or Ring of Fates, don't compare.

13. mattchase00

Newcomer mattchase00 Member

United States
    I truly am sorry this game just gave me a feeling of thats it?

Sigh usually I'm a big fan of legend of zelda, but i was just left with a hollow feeling of it being anti-climatic, im not saying it wasnt a good game. I just thought that there would be more too it...

maybe... just maybe video games weren't as hard as they used to be...

14. dexmix

Member dexmix GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i definitely got the same feeling of "thats it?" they really should have made the end boss harder, or with a much more drawn out - epic battle like in a link to the past.

great game over all, but still should have had a more epic final battle.

15. Yugge

Member Yugge GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    I rather disliked the game, I though it was stupidly easy and boring and the non-canon-osity of the game made me think that PH is the worst Zelda since the CD-I days. When I play a zelda game, I want to know more about Ganon, Hyrule, Zelda, the wars. The holy fracking triforce. Not the defenition of "And he lived happily ever after" seen from windwakers perspective.

16. cupajoe

Member cupajoe Have a cup of joe!

United States
    There was a remake? [​IMG] Where?!?

On topic: I just beat it yesterday, I had a deep feeling of depression after beating it, but I still liked the game a lot.

17. CannonBallZ

Member CannonBallZ GBAtemp Regular

United States
    the best ds game is worst than a crappy zelda cd-i game? looks like you got your fan-boy hat on tight

admittedly the game wasn't all that hard, but it was damn engaging, zelda or no...
    and like what the some of the others have said, games that have come since are 'meh' in comparison

18. Punkrox

Member Punkrox GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    The best ds game? And you're calling HIM a fanboy? Hi Pot, meet Kettle.

I don't think it's a BAD game but it certainly isn't one of the best zelda games. At least, for those of us that are old enough to remember the great ones [​IMG]

19. CannonBallZ

Member CannonBallZ GBAtemp Regular

United States
    you got a point there....
    i am not saying that it's the best zelda game,
    but it's pretty much tops for me on the ds...
    its a huge exaggeration to compare it to the cd-i games

20. Yugge

Member Yugge GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Here Here

CannonBallZ: I was not comparing it to the CD-I games. I said it the worst SINCE the CD-I games. That is. No other game in the franchise has been this bad since then. But I still cant name one game except for the CD-I ones that I disliked more than this.

And no, I do certainly not consider PH the best DS game.