Just finished my install :)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by shark1987, Jul 25, 2007.

1. shark1987
    OP

shark1987 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2007
    United States
    Houston, TX/Austin, TX
    I just finished my install of the wiikey in my launch wii. It went very smoothly, only had a few problems solder. Then I went to put the console back together and I couldn't remember which screws went where. So i put in the ones I knew went in, because I had taken them out today. You see the problem was I took them out yesterday because my chip was supposed to arrive then. But it didn't get here until today and I had forgotten which ones were from where.

So i tried one of the small black screws in the screw that is under the battery cover only to find out it was way too small. But by that time I couldn't get it out. I tried magnets and everything. So I ended up having to use the solder gun to get the screw out. Atleast it wasn't one of the main screws and you can't see the damage after I close the wii up. But now I was wondering if anyone has a link to a detail list of where the screws go. Cause I tried looking at pictures but they're not close enough for me to tell.

Well i just put the triwing screws back in cause I knew where they went and I booted up the wii and it works and played a backup of RE4 just fine. I put in the update disc then only to realize I have my gamecube controllers packed up in a storage building. Oh well, I'm moving back to college in two weeks anyways. Maybe the new update will be released by then haha.

And with that I'll share some pics I took:

I used a guide on PSX-Scene.com forums to do everything and it turned out well i think.

I soldered the wires on first
    [​IMG]

Then I Place the chip on those wires and soldered them together. Then clipped the wires.
    [​IMG]

Here it all is taped up [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall it was an extreme success I'd say.

2. shonosuke

shonosuke GBAtemp Fan

Dec 6, 2003
    Netherlands
    Netherlands
    Very neat o_o

3. Zesto

Zesto Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 7, 2007
    United States
    That's alot of solder on the chip, nice.

4. cardyology

cardyology GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 2, 2007
    Chorley Uk
    Wow man.

Im wasnt ballsy enough to quickdolder. Thought it looked super easy to mess up.

Nice job! [​IMG]

5. Scorpei

Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 21, 2006
    Netherlands
    What I still don't understand is why if people are soldering wires to it, STILL do a quicksolder install :S. If you have wires attached why not use them as wires (instead of short bridges because the WiiKey PCB is slightly too thick to quicksolder with a decent amount of soldering tin)?

6. Mr_Grinch

Mr_Grinch Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2007
    United States
    I was under the impression that -most- setup discs could use the "reset" button on the front of the wii to navigate the menu instead of the gamecube controller. I haven't tried it myself though

7. nilsk123

nilsk123 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2007
    Netherlands
    true, if you have a wire from chip to your reset button

8. lenselijer

lenselijer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 27, 2006
    Netherlands
    that tape is a little useless, just see how much space is left beneath the chip: enough [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice