Just downgraded my N3DS XL to 9.2.0-20U, what now?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by phas, Feb 1, 2016.

1. phas
    OP

phas Member

Newcomer
    Jul 4, 2015
    United States
    What CFW do I use, how do I install it?

2. James310

James310 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 4, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere in California
    Reinand ,That's all I need to say....

3. phas
    OP

phas Member

Newcomer
    Jul 4, 2015
    United States
    Would you mind saying why?

4. xflamer234

xflamer234 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 15, 2015
    Jamaica
    Reinand bro look up how to install it. it supports it all the way to 10.5 emunand. just make sure you have the latest version of reinand downloaded on your new 3ds

5. 54321

54321 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2011
    United States
    I swear there are like 50 threads just like this, but yes, like everyone else said look at reinand tutorials.

Caseyfam likes this.
  6. TR_mahmutpek

TR_mahmutpek GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 28, 2015
  7. James310

James310 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 4, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere in California
    Why you need a tutorial? It's a basic drag n drop unlike rxtools downloading that and this and there outed, just download a put reinand folder in as card with the download firmware bin and that's kinda it

8. Bratos

Bratos Member

Newcomer
    Jan 22, 2016
    Canada
    I have a question. How do I update my reinand?

9. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008

to update your reinand just copy the new files over the old files.

10. Bratos

Bratos Member

Newcomer
    Jan 22, 2016
    Canada
    Thanks for the help. Will do

11. Bratos

Bratos Member

Newcomer
    Jan 22, 2016
    Canada
    Don't have to run anything? Just replace the files?

12. En Dee Ess

En Dee Ess Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2016
    What exactly makes reinand a better choice than rxtools? Ignoring ease of install, a quick summary from the experts?

13. sl0ps

sl0ps Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    If OP genuinely feels the need to ask this question, and would like a simple answer rather than 'Google', then here's that's the answer you're looking for OP, setup emunand, get Reinand, and update emunand. Remember to make your sysNand noticably different from your emuNand, say with a different theme, or else you'll come back mad as hell that you reupdated your sysnand just do have to downgrade again.

14. phas
    OP

phas Member

Newcomer
    Jul 4, 2015
    United States
    So sysnand is supposed to be 9.2, and emunand has to be 10.5 with reinand and emunand is basically just a sysnand that you run through a cfw to play newer games that you install with the cfw?

15. sl0ps

sl0ps Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    No, CFW makes patches on the fly to 'emuNand', so 'CFW' is only booted to sysnand when you're installing a CIA manager (package manager for 3DS) [if you have problems doing this, just use the miniPasta.3dsx to get past sigpatches to do this, then use d0k3's emuNand9 Tool to create an 'emunand' partition (remember to backup your SD). These steps are covered in a number of tutorials posted here. Please refer to them to make sure you don't make any mistakes.

This all being said, yes, you want to keep your New3DS on 9.2 sysnand, and then update your emunand to get all the goodies that were added by our friends at Nintendo.

Last edited by sl0ps, Feb 1, 2016
  16. phas
    OP

phas Member

Newcomer
    Jul 4, 2015
    United States
    I'm still confused as to what the difference between the two is (sysnand and emunand). What does the CFW do?

Last edited by phas, Feb 1, 2016
  17. sl0ps

sl0ps Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    SysNand, you can't touch since you (I assume) do not have a HARD mod. So, you make a 'clone' of your firmware that is then placed on your SD card in a hidden partition.

Here's a good explanation of the differences. (be sure to give NekoMichi a like for this if it helps you better wrap your head around how this process works!)

Last edited by sl0ps, Feb 1, 2016
  18. En Dee Ess

En Dee Ess Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2016
    sysNAND = The REAL NAND. This is what the actual system runs. You mess with this, you prevent exploits that allow you to load emuNAND.
    emuNAND = Virtual NAND. It's loaded instead of the sysNAND. Basically, it's the sysNAND, but without the risk of losing exploits (because it's running from a sysNAND exploit).

Think of emuNAND as a "risk-free" NAND in which you can do whatever you want without risk of breaking the system.

Last edited by En Dee Ess, Feb 1, 2016
  19. phas
    OP

phas Member

Newcomer
    Jul 4, 2015
    United States
    Thanks both of those responses made a lot of sense. Good way to explain it.

So I still have the exploits from downgrading on my SD card, but I moved the files from the SD I used to downgrade (4gb) to a different one (64gb) so I can install CIAs on it. Do I delete the files on the new sd (64gb) and reinstall exploits for 9.2? are there specific versions I need? Also I don't want to delete the stuff on the SD card because I have the browser, and apparently some people on 9.2 dont have the browser for browserhax.