Just curious, but where did everyone hear about these flashcarts?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by spearman792, Apr 26, 2008.

1. spearman792
    OP

Newcomer spearman792 Member

United States
    I for one, found a link to a homebrew game on IGN's website (http://blogs.ign.com/craig-ign/2008/02/12/80371/p2) on the side of the homepage, and did a bit of research, and am now a happy owner of a CycloDS Evolution [​IMG]

What about everyone else?

2. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    I've been pirating for 25 years now ... gets to be where new things come out, and someone gets int touch with me to tell me about them ...

3. Swip

Member Swip GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Who hasn't heard of the r4? Well my friend had one so i googled it, found gbatemp and i soon found out about all the other carts and this great community.

Btw, Pocket Physics FTW!! I agree that its one of the best ds homebrew atm.

4. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    heard from a friend
    wasnt going to get a DS but the fact I can...
    well you know what for free was just too tempting...

dont copy that floppy d:

5. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    I've been looking around the internet, and there was an Ad for a R4. (It was 7 monthes ago) I did some reasearch, and found myself on this forums.

I asked a few questions about R4, and thought I was gonna get it. But When I heard about the M3 real, and how good it was gonna be, I decided to wait a little. When it first came out, I've read the reviews, etc, and found myself disappointed. After that, I decided to get a Cyclo. But since I didn't have enough money, I decided to get a bit of money before I buy anything. Due to my very small budget, even after 4 monthes later, I bought a SCDS1 SDHC instead.

6. bluebright

Member bluebright GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    back when I found out you can't just play GC games on your PC, you can also play them on a real gameboy! Isn't that amazing? So, it was probably ad's off rom sites and what not.

Ahh, so many good memories, scouring the net for pokemon blue.

7. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    I've known about flashcarts since I saw an SNES backup device advertised in the back pages of EGM when I was a kid. I never bought a flashcart until I got a DS Lite, though my friend had a GBA flashcart so I knew they were easily available.

I found GBAtemp because of the G6 Lite reviews, which I found via Google while researching which cart to buy.

8. Chedderknight

Member Chedderknight GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Found out you could Hack a PSP to play SNES roms, and it kinda just branched off from there

9. Awdofgum

Member Awdofgum Wadofgum

United States
    I remember coming across a forum about roms and emulators and then I learned about flashcarts.
    Much later I finally convinced my parents to buy me an M3 Perfect.
    But about 3 weeks ago, I accidentally dropped my M3 into a pool and by the time I got to it, it was far too late. [​IMG]

10. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    i was looking for a DS on craigslist and ran into a guy selling a white lite and an M3? I asked this person (now known as Shinji) about what it was and he sent me a link to gbatemp.net.

He got cold feat and didnt sell... >_>

11. NeSchn

Member NeSchn GBAPimpdaddy.

United States
    Oh a while ago I remember seeing a video on YouTube (When it first came out) about Passme and Flashme. I thought it was one of the coolest things ever (but expensive), so it passed my mind and life went on. Then one day my friend comes over and tells me he saw some kid in school with a DS-X and it could play pirated DS games. I was all gigidy like a schoolgirl when I heard this and a few months later I bought a DS-X in September of 07 (bad idea). I later got a DSTT, Cyclo DS, and now an AceKard 2. I sold the DS-X and the DSTT.

12. The Viztard

Member The Viztard GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I just heard about R4's from my friend, and he showed me his, got me interested, i googled it, then ended up getting one...then not long after that i saw an Edge flashcart...googled it, then it led me to here, gbatemp... [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Examo

Newcomer Examo Member

United Arab Emirates
    There was a letter in an issue of Nintendo Power that talked about GBC emulators, and everything went from there...

14. wilddenim

Member wilddenim Candy!

United Kingdom
    I can't quite remember but I think it was when I googled for ROMs for GBA emulator then it took me somewhere I can't remember what. I must have put someone about putting ROMs on GBA or DS - hey I was a noob back then! [​IMG]

And saw some bits about flashcarts so I did more research and ended up buying FireLink (DON'T FRICKING BUY THAT!). Now I've found out much more from this forum so I'm now a new proud owner of CycloDS.

15. megabug7

Member megabug7 Forum Relic

United Kingdom
    I got fed up of buying crap games which supposedly got great reviews.

Hence my decision to 'do the pirate'

Starting with the NES many moons ago (had a little switch on the front)
    Then the SNES - with a similar switch
    Then PS1 (learnt to chip those myself - made a huge buck doing it)
    Then DC (Ditto)
    GBA Flashcard was bought 2 years ago
    CycloDS this year
    PSP with all the trimmings a few weeks ago

Don't intend to mod Cube/Wii/PS2.

16. TheNeck

Member TheNeck GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Ive knew they had such a device back in the day for the GBA, but really didnt care until my daughter got a ds lite, in which I did a google search and found GBATEMP.

17. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    About a week before I signed up at GBAtemp.

I used to pirate PC games all the time, along with any other PC related programs, (still do) but I never actually pirated any consoles I've owned in the past while I had them. The last console I've actually owned was a PS1. Nowadays though, most of the old game systems I've owned are now just emus on my computer. The DS is the first game system I've owned where I pirate the games for it (DS and GBA) at the same time as I own the actual system.....unless you count the old Commodore 64 as a game system, which I was pirating on from the moment I got one.

I first learned of the existence of flashcarts for the GBA and DS right here at GBAtemp. I can't believe I actually used to waste money on all the games previous to my discovery. [​IMG] I knew the ROMs were all over the place, I just didn't know you could use them on a real GBA or DS. I never bothered emulating handhelds on the PC simply because I thought it was a silly thing to emulate a mobile device on a non-mobile system. I still feel that way.

18. gbands

Member gbands GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    I've known about flashkarts during the gba days, but didn't buy one until the ds came. At first i was quite skeptical since i didn't know much and thought that these carts were the same ones being used on those pirated xxx-in-1 games. So i consulted a friend who confirmed that the carts weren't the same and decided to wait for proper ds flashkart (without flashing or those ugly ribbons dangling at the back) and got an R4.

19. Agjsdfd

Member Agjsdfd My title

I always knew(since GB generation) that there most be something that lets us play games illegaly(my first thought ages ago).
    I thought of that because I saw those shops selling cheap GB games, that doesnt even save ingame...

Later on in 2004 when I was looking for Pokemon RPGs in google, I somehow was directed to romreactor.net(that site doesnt exist anymore, so doesnt matter even if I give a link..).
    So I downloaded roms, played them.. wasnt happy enough, and searching for more roms directed me to flashlinker-shop.com in 2005, and so on....
    Saw some flashcarts there(I think EF or Advance something like that) there, didnt buy one myself cuz had no paypal or whatsoever... later in the 2007 I got a prepaid mastercard and was looking for more information about flashcarts and found gbatemp [​IMG]

20. moozxy

Member moozxy hamboning

United Kingdom
    I found out about the R4 last year while I was just surfing the net.