Homebrew Just curious about 3ds OS...(Question for devs)

mironicurse

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Is it possible to write custom services or any kind of custom background threads in 3DS OS? What is possible now? What are the limits?
I just thought about custom music player that works in background, or background ftp service, or even background app updater...

EpicLPer

Your friendly Austrian IT Guy
Trophies
Website
epiclper.com
XP
Country
Austria
Is it possible to write custom services or any kind of custom background threads in 3DS OS? What is possible now? What are the limits?
I just thought about custom music player that works in background, or background ftp service, or even background app updater...
I'm not a dev myself but I understand how the 3DS works somewhat. Yes, in general it would be possible but you'd have to modify the 3DS OS which then makes signatures, as far as I know, invalid and won't let it boot (?).

Correct me if I'm wrong. Besides that its much easier to just let an application run at bootup before the real OS even starts to patch the OS in the background then so the services will run.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yes, in fact a custom loader service already exists, it's used by Luma3DS to provide some neat additional features. It can be patched on the fly and theoretically works with any CFW, no a9lh needed.
NTR-CFW is a good example of what can be done with kernel access. Most of the things you mentioned would be possible with a NTR-CFW plugin. I'm not sure about a music player, it's probably possible but the plugin would need to be able to mute the game as well and I'm not sure if that can be done with just ARM11 kernel.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Altr0n

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, in fact a custom loader service already exists, it's used by Luma3DS to provide some neat additional features. It can be patched on the fly and theoretically works with any CFW, no a9lh needed.

So, since this loader is presumably open source, I imagine that one could use it as a starting template for getting a background process lauchned and keeping it running? Similar to what I imagine BootNTR does?

mironicurse

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Cool! What about memory layout? For N3DS I think it's okay if playing non-exclusive titles and running some "not so hungry" services with extra memory availible, but o3ds? Custom memory-efficent homemenu?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Cool! What about memory layout? For N3DS I think it's okay if playing non-exclusive titles and running some "not so hungry" services with extra memory availible, but o3ds? Custom memory-efficent homemenu?
I'm not sure, but I believe part of the memory is reserved for system titles and that NTR etc. use part of this memory, so it shouldn't matter what game you are running. Available memory is probably highly limited though.

Reactions: mironicurse

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm