Hacking Just brought a patched on 8.1.0

newgen2005

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry if this has been asked before.

I have just brought a Switch with 3 games at a bargain price. I knew it was patched but was unsure of the firmware, sadly it is on 8.1.0.

I understand that 8.1.0 is locked down, what are the chances of there being an exploit for released for 8.1.0?

Do we think they waiting for the Switch Lite to be released before they expose any vulnerabilities for 8.1.0??

Last edited by newgen2005,
Reactions: NoNAND

newgen2005

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There won't be any CFW for 8.0.0 and above patched unit and lite switch for a long time. No plan from developers.

OK, thank you.

I was hoping they might be holding back until the lite has been released. Gutted mine has been updated to 8.1.0 :(

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Without getting too technical I thought (at the start) that all Switch firmwares were exploitable and that the only thing stopping cfm was the Switch being hardware patched to stop RCM.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, thank you.

I was hoping they might be holding back until the lite has been released. Gutted mine has been updated to 8.1.0 :(

Without getting too technical I thought (at the start) that all Switch firmwares were exploitable and that the only thing stopping cfm was the Switch being hardware patched to stop RCM.

All unit can enter rcm mode, patched unit can't get any payloads to go through via rcm mode.

newgen2005

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for your replies guys. I think I will hang on to this one for now and keep an eye out for a unpatched one.

Does it matter if the unpatched one is on 8.1.0?

Reactions: NoNAND

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Thanks for your replies guys. I think I will hang on to this one for now and keep an eye out for a unpatched one.

Does it matter if the unpatched one is on 8.1.0?
Nope. regardless of its firmware version an unpatched switch can be hacked assuming you have the right and needed equipment.
good luck finding one :)

Reactions: newgen2005

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But keep in mind anytime Nintendo could come up with an update (like 8.2 or 9.0) that is unhackable even on an unpatched unit. So far though the hackers have been able to shred through the firmwares so we can hope that continues but it's not guaranteed. So if a new update comes out I would just make sure before you buy.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand that 8.1.0 is locked down, what are the chances of there being an exploit for released for 8.1.0?

Do we think they waiting for the Switch Lite to be released before they expose any vulnerabilities for 8.1.0??
0.0000000000001%. The only way that console could be fully hacked is if Nintendo introduces a new TZ bug in a future sysupdate

The original plan was to keep some exploits private for Mariko, but shit happened and most of those exploits are now public.

But keep in mind anytime Nintendo could come up with an update (like 8.2 or 9.0) that is unhackable even on an unpatched unit. So far though the hackers have been able to shred through the firmwares so we can hope that continues but it's not guaranteed. So if a new update comes out I would just make sure before you buy.
Eh, there isn’t really much Nintendo can do at this point

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
@ZachyCatGames I doubt Nintendo would ever accidentally include a previously patched bug in their upcoming software updates lol.

Say what exactly were all of those exploits planned to be unveiled afterwards mariko's revision release.
Need to catch up on stuff.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
0.0000000000001%. The only way that console could be fully hacked is if Nintendo introduces a new TZ bug in a future sysupdate

The original plan was to keep some exploits private for Mariko, but shit happened and most of those exploits are now public.

Eh, there isn’t really much Nintendo can do at this point

That's probably what they said on PS3 before 3.55 came out. Then there wasn't a hack after that firmware for years. Some models could downgrade though.

PS4 5.05 well over a year no new hack.

Last edited by EmulateLife,

eteles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Guys... What about me? I have a new patched unit on 6.2.0... Will it take too long for the teams to release a way to hack it??

I just bought crash nitro kart and it seems it will only work on 8.1.0 firmware...

PHiLiPZ

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovakia
That's probably what they said on PS3 before 3.55 came out. Then there wasn't a hack after that firmware for years. Some models could downgrade though.

PS4 5.05 well over a year no new hack.

Nintendo can’t fix an unpatched unit since the hack is applied BEFORE the Nintendo SW is loaded! They can replace the SW but on unpatched units with modified bootloader (hekate) it’ll never get loaded during the boot process. So no, Nintendo can’t fix unpatched Switches! Another proof is that if they could they would have done it long time ago. It’s not comparable to Playstation situation.

Last edited by PHiLiPZ,

Undwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your best bet would be to sell it and get yourself a unpatched switch.
Even a second hand used one would be worth every coin assuming it works and is hackable.

I paid $400 for a already modded on 5.1.0 6 months back. it came with 4 joy cons,a Pro controller and a Payload injector........ all was used but looked new. I was happy with the price paid

Ohhhh and a 128GB SD came with it

Last edited by Undwiz,
Reactions: Bst22322 and NoNAND

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo can’t fix an unpatched unit since the hack is applied BEFORE the Nintendo SW is loaded! They can replace the SW but on unpatched units with modified bootloader (hekate) it’ll never get loaded during the boot process. So no, Nintendo can’t fix unpatched Switches! Another proof is that if they could they would have done it long time ago. It’s not comparable to Playstation situation.

I'll give you your first point that it's probably not an easy thing, but I don't agree that because they haven't yet that's proof they never can. They definitely have very smart people looking at it maybe they will come up with something that's never been thought about before. The point is we can't predict the future.

Every new firmware that comes out it has to be hacked because of new keys etc it's not instant, even though it has been fast. They could change things up to make it near impossible like Sony and MS have done you cannot say for sure what Nintendo will do only what they have done.

Last edited by EmulateLife,

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I paid $400 for a already modded on 5.1.0 6 months back. it came with 4 joy cons,a Pro controller and a Payload injector........ all was used but looked new. I was happy with the price paid

Ohhhh and a 128GB SD came with it
Mhm that's a great deal. a bit pricey buy worth to be honest. Having all those added bonuses is nice too.

PHiLiPZ

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovakia
I'll give you your first point that it's probably not an easy thing, but I don't agree that because they haven't yet that's proof they never can. They definitely have very smart people looking at it maybe they will come up with something that's never been thought about before. The point is we can't predict the future.

They can’t change the chip! It’ll always boot the same way, that’s how the hw has been made. So yes, in this case we CAN predict the future. If nothing else on patched units it’ll always be possible to boot hekate and flash an older backed up firmware.

Reactions: Zaybokk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr