Hacking Just bought one o' them there.... Wii U's....

Ninja_Carver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello Community,

I just traded in my PS Vita with 16GB memory card, Drive Club, and Farcry 4 and 145 of my U.S. dollars for a Wii U. Unfortunately it came with 5.3.2U. Woe is me.

Once this mama is homebrew enabled, I hope to be able to bring you the finest Linuxes in all the land.

Forgive me, I had a tooth extracted and I might be a little high on painkillers life.

FPSRussi4

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
can you explain to me what the benefits of porting android rather than an actual linux distribution would be? mobile apps?

Among other things, yeah. It could also be a good way to find others who are interested in android and want to play around with it. Can you explain to me why you need to have a list of benefits, or why you can't just do the "proper" linux first and maybe do android later?

Reactions: Margen67

Ninja_Carver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Among other things, yeah. It could also be a good way to find others who are interested in android and want to play around with it. Can you explain to me why you need to have a list of benefits, or why you can't just do the "proper" linux first and maybe do android later?

I didn't think that asking for a list of benefits was unreasonable. I didn't state it was a bad idea, I was simply looking for YOUR input as to why you think this is something that should be pursued. Not really sure why the dick tone?

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
calm down guys just mixed writing/reading i guess. personally i would say android would just be purely for games (which in fairness there is some good ones worth playing) and few apps like chat apps exc. thats the only purpose's i could think of wanting android. plus it would be another bit of software we could add to the list that works on the wii u :)

FPSRussi4

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I didn't think that asking for a list of benefits was unreasonable. I didn't state it was a bad idea, I was simply looking for YOUR input as to why you think this is something that should be pursued. Not really sure why the dick tone?

It isn't, looks like we both thought the other had a dickish tone.

Android on the Wii U, along with mobile apps and other things, could make others interested in the system, as neither the XBone or the PS4 have been hacked enough to allow such a thing to happen. It would also be a pretty nice proof-of-concept.

calm down guys just mixed writing/reading i guess. personally i would say android would just be purely for games (which in fairness there is some good ones worth playing) and few apps like chat apps exc. thats the only purpose's i could think of wanting android. plus it would be another bit of software we could add to the list that works on the wii u :)

Literally that, everyone sounds like a dick on the internet at first. Also agree with the android stuff.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

That's because you make it sound way too easy. High or not, you don't "just" port a linux distribution to the wiiu, even if everything was documented, enabled and stuff like that (which is not the case).

The benefit of android working would be because it more closely fit the way the wiiu is designed to work (the gamepad is basically a tablet). But face it: it's pretty unlikely to happen at this point. If you can get any linux distribution to actually work on the wiiu, I promise you nobody will talk to you in a smug "what do YOU know?" fashion again.

(for that matter: if you want to help, there is this tri-core linux project being worked on)

Reactions: c4p0

Ninja_Carver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's because you make it sound way too easy. High or not, you don't "just" port a linux distribution to the wiiu, even if everything was documented, enabled and stuff like that (which is not the case).

The benefit of android working would be because it more closely fit the way the wiiu is designed to work (the gamepad is basically a tablet). But face it: it's pretty unlikely to happen at this point. If you can get any linux distribution to actually work on the wiiu, I promise you nobody will talk to you in a smug "what do YOU know?" fashion again.

(for that matter: if you want to help, there is this tri-core linux project being worked on)

whoa someone is already working on tricore for linux? crap where have i been?

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
triinux is a waste of time unless its ported to wii u mode in my opinion!! lacks hardware being locked to just wii mode and also having it ported to wii u mode would mean almost instantly having access to all three cores wouldnt it?

Ninja_Carver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
triinux is a waste of time unless its ported to wii u mode in my opinion!! lacks hardware being locked to just wii mode and also having it ported to wii u mode would mean almost instantly having access to all three cores wouldnt it?

Trinux was initially ported to the vWii as a proof of concept, with the understanding that the WiiU offered similar hardware and architecture on which to base the work off of.
As we're rounding the corner of 2 years after my initial implementation of it, there is some comfort to be had in that we're a bit closer today then we were two years ago to making progress on the project from where it left off.

Taleweaver If you're referring to the vWii - Tricore Linux thread.... I created it.... when homebrew on this platform was going no where, i abandoned the project and handed it off to TSK TeamScriptKiddies. I just purchased a WiiU again in hopes that with the help of the community we can bring this project back to light and hopefully make it a reality. We are still no closer to have 3-cores enabled but with a kernel exploit/IOSU exploit in the works we should gain access to additional memory, graphics, bluetooth, and USB2.0. That's something to be excited for...

EDIT: That said, the current PoC that works on the vWii should work as-is on the WiiU once we are allowed to run our own code...

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trinux was initially ported to the vWii as a proof of concept, with the understanding that the WiiU offered similar hardware and architecture on which to base the work off of.
As we're rounding the corner of 2 years after my initial implementation of it, there is some comfort to be had in that we're a bit closer today then we were two years ago to making progress on the project from where it left off.

Taleweaver If you're referring to the vWii - Tricore Linux thread.... I created it.... when homebrew on this platform was going no where, i abandoned the project and handed it off to TSK TeamScriptKiddies. I just purchased a WiiU again in hopes that with the help of the community we can bring this project back to light and hopefully make it a reality. We are still no closer to have 3-cores enabled but with a kernel exploit/IOSU exploit in the works we should gain access to additional memory, graphics, bluetooth, and USB2.0. That's something to be excited for...

EDIT: That said, the current PoC that works on the vWii should work as-is on the WiiU once we are allowed to run our own code...

From my understanding, according to Marionumber1 (correct me if im wrong here) but anything running in with kernel access in U mode, already has access to tricore smp.

Furthermore, much to my surprise, i was looking at the aource code for the current kernel we're using 3.086 by @deltaresero and hes already added smp support to that and all future kernels. I have no idea if it works however (no public kernel exploit just yet).

So the only issue we were having was the race attack it seems. In theory, the linux kernel "should" be able to handle it if we run the code in U mode via a kernel exploit (no more need for a race attack in vWii mode).

Also welcome back Ninja_Carver!

Ninja_Carver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just so you no i wasnt putting down the triinux project btw. and thats what i thought i saw mario1 say in another thread about the wii u mode already having smp tricore support

Yes that's entirely true. however, the jury is still out on whether or not our current development kernel contains the code to know how to adequately offload work to the new cores... not surprisingly all we currently see is the identification of CPU0

Reactions: jammybudga777

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes that's entirely true. however, the jury is still out on whether or not our current development kernel contains the code to know how to adequately offload work to the new cores... not surprisingly all we currently see is the identification of CPU0
Look at the source code for delta's latest kernels, like i said, it looks like he's already implemented support for smp into it. At the very least, as a PoC. No clue if it works or not though....

Reactions: jammybudga777

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From my understanding, according to Marionumber1 (correct me if im wrong here) but anything running in with kernel access in U mode, already has access to tricore smp.
Even stuff in userland, you're able to port it right now if you wanted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Touché.