Hacking Just bought a Wii and possibly modded.... (HELP)

mike1984

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, so long story short. The girl at work (who doesn't know anything about gaming and is kinda dumb) decided she wanted to get rid of her wii for really cheap. 50$ I bought it. It's plugged, it works great. One thing, she bought it from one someone else and when she bought it she got some burnt games with it. She gave me those games. Now I asked her if it's modded and she had no clue what I was talking about. Now, here are my questions:

1) How do I check if my Wii is modded (I would figure it is since it can play burnt games)?

2) If it is, how do I check with what (i'm very noob to the wii mods)?

3) Are there any consequences with modding a Wii (ex: not being able to play online, etc...)?

4) If it is modded, can I reverse this and get back factory settings?

5) My Wii just asked me to download update 41312 I believe, should I do it?

Thanks guys! Look forward to getting my Wii up and running!!!!!!

mike1984

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
So if I update and I have a modchip on my Wii it won't affect anything? There are no consequences in modchipping a Wii? How do I check if I have a modchip anyways?

Thanks for the responses btw lol!

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The only way i know of to know if you have a chip is to take it apart and look if there's one attached to the dvd drive. If you update and have a softmod, the softmod will need to be redone to play burnt games again. A chip is unaffected.

What version firmware do you have? To check go to the wii settings (not data management) and look for the version in the upper right corner. If it's something recent, (4.x) i'd ignore the update.

mike1984

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I believe it's 3.2. Why would you ignore the updates?

So basically I cannot brick my Wii in anyway besides updating an out-of-region game right?

matguitarist

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wii update could break your system if it wrong region or bad installation via internet connexion lost ac power ... but it could remove all softmod existing

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
warning: 4.2 breaks modchip ability to run import backups.
Hm, didn't know about that one. No chip here (USB Loader
smile.gif
).

QUOTEI believe it's 3.2. Why would you ignore the updates?
Here's some good reasons:
* What ShadowRunner said. No imports with 4.2 and a chip.
* Most updates are purely fixes to block homebrew or fix bugs. 4.1 fixed a minor bug related to 4.0 and Wiisports resort. 4.2 offered absolutely no new functionality, just a (failed) attempt at blocking homebrew/softmods.

If you go anywhere with the firmware version, go to 4.1, not 4.2. That has to be done manually though. Normal update gets 4.2.

Finally, if you plan to use homebrew on the wii, be sure to install bootmii "as boot2" first if the wii supports it. Best anti-brick around.

mike1984

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Let's say I don't want to do any homebrew, just have the ability to play LOCAL NTSC burnt games, I can update to my hearts content right?

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you have a softmod, then no updating to 4.2 unless you want to reinstall the softmod.

If you have a chip, you can update, but you'll lose the region-free functions. If you plan to burn games, quite a few releases are PAL or JAP only.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs