just bought a PSP, semi noobish Qs

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Tikker, Jun 17, 2008.

Jun 17, 2008
  1. Tikker
    OP

Member Tikker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    just picked up a new PSP (the red god of war issue one)
    FW is 3.95

So as far as I can gather, all I need is to pick up the pandora battery and a memstick (picked out a 4gb one)

load the psp grader software on the memstick, follow the basic instructions in the sticky, and then I'm done

I'd initially stayed away from the PSP because of a perceived level of difficulty in getting the custom firmware onto it

2. PW1337

Newcomer PW1337 Advanced Member

United States
    I would say you should verify the PSP works perfectly and it has no defects before putting CFW on it(dead pixel?), I actually waited 1 year(Sony's warranty time) to put CFW on my PSP Phat, but I didn't miss a lot though, I had plenty of games and with DS it was all good [​IMG]
    Btw, I tried putting CFW on a PSP slim with a 4GB memory stick, and I semi-bricked it, the card was just too slow. Good thing I have a 1GB card as well, not sure, but it could just be my memory stick. It's an old SanDisk one, those blue ones, I have 2 of them, but one is slower though.

3. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Yep, that's it.

4. altorn

Member altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    it's recommended to use a 256mb -> 2gb mem stick in making a Magic Memory stick.
    using 4gb mem stick will most probably not work.

I want a GoW PSP too!!!! [​IMG]

5. CorruptJon

Member CorruptJon :)

United States
    4gb stick worked fine for me.. I don't think the speed has much to do with installing CFW, I think its just required to support MagicGate.

6. altorn

Canada
    well it depends on the brand or "sectors" in the mem stick. yes, a 4gb card will work, many users reported 4gb cards to work but its not 100% recommended.

the primary problem there will be MAKING the magic memory stick in the first place, not INSTALLING CFW. once the "mspformat.exe" and "msinst.exe" or "installipl.bin" detects the 4gb stick to have unreadable sectors, you're screwed. No MS Boot Code for you. No CFW to install.

7. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    Lol why did you wait?

If anything did go wrong you could just download a orginal sony update and your CFW would be gone.

8. altorn

Canada
    So he could get sony to repair any damages or errors in the system within that warranty. once you hack your psp, soft mod or hard mod, you break the warranty.

9. solange82200

Member solange82200 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I used a 4 gig stick for my magic memory stick, and it worked. It is probably better to do it with a smaller one, but if you can only afford one memory stick (and cant borrow one from anyone else), then just do the 4gig one.

10. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    You can just update to an official sony update and sony wont be able to see your PSP EVER has been used for CFW [​IMG]

Notice all the Magic memory sticks comes with like: Install 3.90M33, Install Orginal 3.90 [​IMG]
    And so on.