Just bought a bootleg game, how bad is it?

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by frightened_one, Mar 24, 2008.

1. frightened_one
    OP

frightened_one Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 24, 2008
    United States
    I've been looking for a copy of Pokemon Emerald for a while and I finally bit the bullet and bought one off ebay. Then I read later that many are actually bootleg.. so when mine arrived I checked and I was disappointed to discover mine was a fake.

Just wondering though, is it a bad idea to play with the game? I've been reading stories about the game losing your save after 12 hours or so, but many of these articles were from a long time ago. Bootleg copies of Pokemon games back then even had black cartridges, so maybe they aren't as dangerous now?

My main issue is pretty much the save battery dying. So how bad is it? Is it that dangerous to play through the game on a cart like this? (mine seems to be a 'high' quality fake if that's even possible, better build quality than any flashcart I've seen)

Cheers.

2. Bob Evil

Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

Sep 27, 2006
    Out of the corner of your eye
    The chances of the battery dying are significantly higher in a bootleg than in a legitimate cartridge.

There is no danger though ... other than data loss.

3. PlooBloo

PlooBloo GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2006
    United States
    East Coast, USA
    Well, I bought one of those 40 in 1 cartridges like, 9 years back or so and that never saved. xD;; But since yours is pretty recent, maybe you can try it out for 30 min or so and see if anything happens. Maybe you can just message the seller on eBay and ask if it ever saved for them (if it's used).

4. Passa

Passa Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 24, 2008
    I suspect mine might be a fake Emerald cart as well.. I was a fair way into the game before I destroyed my save by my own means heh. Beyond 30 minutes anyway.

Does anyone have some more concrete info?

5. silverspoon

silverspoon GBAtemp Fan

Jul 8, 2007
    Location Unknown
  6. Try2bcool

Try2bcool GBAtemp Fan

Jun 11, 2004
    United States
    You could handle this one of three ways:

1. Tell the seller that you know it is a bootleg and ask for a refund upon return of the cart. (kind of a risk, you may end up with nothing)

2. Report the seller to Ebay (it is against their policy to sell bootleg carts), and they will investigate the seller, refund your money, and I would think they would want you to return the cart to someone, not sure who.

3. Keep the cart, play it for as long as it works, and be wiser and more wary of buying carts from Ebay. (and don't buy from that seller again)

7. xcalibur

xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

Jun 2, 2007
    Sacred Heart
    It'll probably die on you in a couple of weeks so don't play too much and get attached to all your pokeymanz

8. sk3tch

sk3tch GBAtemp Fan

Mar 5, 2008
    United States
    I'm curious - how were you able to determine that it was a bootleg?

9. Psyfira

Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

Dec 31, 2003
    England
    Look up the bottom of the cart, using a torch if nessasary; if you can't see Nintendo written on the circuit board it's a fake.

10. Ruri

Ruri GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 20, 2007
    United States
    Hehehe, when an American hears that they think of this:

[​IMG]

Or this:

[​IMG]

11. Psyfira

Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

Dec 31, 2003
    England
    Mmm, toasty. [​IMG] More like "turn all your carts into something about as useful as a dead fake". Silly localisation barrier. So what do you lot call the ones that run on batteries? (edit: wait don't answer that I just figured it out.)

12. martin88

martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 18, 2005
    Canada
    I would have just bought a GBA flash cart like EFA, it's only $20 and is reliable. How much did you pay for the game?

13. VBKirby

VBKirby GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2007
    Canada
    British Columbia
    I bought Pokemon Sapphire on ebay and it was bootleg. Ways to tell.

Internal clock doesn't work
    Save data erases very quickly
    does not connect to DS games

14. PBC

PBC What!? I can change this??

Dec 3, 2006
    United States
    New York
    Flash Lite. Its not just Emulation Jargon, it is also the name for a light running off of batteries.

Man, I wish I had a battery operated Torch tho! =)

15. pokemongalaxy

pokemongalaxy Banned

Banned
    Mar 10, 2008
    Canada
    Yah my friend from malaysia gave me a pokemon emerald game for like a quarter(so it's prob a bootleg...[​IMG] ) My save kept corrupting

16. TanookiSuit

TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

Nov 11, 2004
    United States
    Louisville, KY
    I saw 2 bootlegs and a demo not for resale today at the flea market. Some jerk took advantage of this older guy who sells stereos, tvs, and consoles who has a few handheld titles too. The bootlegs were Minish Cap and Ogre Battle...the lame thing is Minish had 2 real ones next to it. MC had the box art logo with the light background (real is a red label and less entertaining), and Ogre Battle had an obvious cheapo printer label and the logo was super stretched out and didn't fit.

The demo title was one of the American Fire Emblem games. I warned the guy about the 2 fakes and that the demo likely is a few stages and won't finish. He said he'd test to see if they ran right and would sell em anyways but probably mark them. He gave me a $2 discount on a GBA game that wasn't a fraud (Zelda, Classic NES version) so I took that.

17. Japhle

Japhle GBAtemp Regular

Dec 21, 2007
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Also sometimes with the pokemon games, They forget to change the cart color.
    That's how I realized my Firered.

18. Jax

Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Jul 31, 2006
    L.A.V.
    I bought a FFVI Advance cart a few months back on eBay and it turned out to be a bootleg (It had FFIV characters on the label [​IMG]).
    I managed to finish it without losing my saved games and recently I went to check on them and they were all still there.

I guess I got lucky!

19. Jack-Of-Trades

Jack-Of-Trades GBAtemp Fan

Apr 21, 2008
    United States
    Easy way to tell even nintendo has a section on there site about it

1.If the screw holding it together is Philip's Head it's Fake
    2. If you open it and see something that looks like a battery it's fake (Nintendo uses different method's for RTC )

20. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Huh, we must have bought from the same person [​IMG] .

The best, easiest way to check is checking the back where it has 'Nintendo' and the model #(AGB-002, I think). If the font is off ore the model # is wrong(like the FFVI cart I got said AGB-033 [​IMG] ), or comparing the labels to actual pictures, either online or at a GameStop, where I have yet to buy a fake game. And I buy there a lot.

Surprisingly, some of my first GBA games I got were bootlegs; I didn't even realize my Harry Potter:CoS game was until about a month ago after having it for near 4 years.