Just bought a bootleg game, how bad is it?

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by frightened_one, Mar 24, 2008.

Mar 24, 2008
  1. frightened_one
    OP

Newcomer frightened_one Newbie

United States
    I've been looking for a copy of Pokemon Emerald for a while and I finally bit the bullet and bought one off ebay. Then I read later that many are actually bootleg.. so when mine arrived I checked and I was disappointed to discover mine was a fake.

Just wondering though, is it a bad idea to play with the game? I've been reading stories about the game losing your save after 12 hours or so, but many of these articles were from a long time ago. Bootleg copies of Pokemon games back then even had black cartridges, so maybe they aren't as dangerous now?

My main issue is pretty much the save battery dying. So how bad is it? Is it that dangerous to play through the game on a cart like this? (mine seems to be a 'high' quality fake if that's even possible, better build quality than any flashcart I've seen)

Cheers.

2. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    The chances of the battery dying are significantly higher in a bootleg than in a legitimate cartridge.

There is no danger though ... other than data loss.

3. PlooBloo

Member PlooBloo GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well, I bought one of those 40 in 1 cartridges like, 9 years back or so and that never saved. xD;; But since yours is pretty recent, maybe you can try it out for 30 min or so and see if anything happens. Maybe you can just message the seller on eBay and ask if it ever saved for them (if it's used).

4. Passa

Newcomer Passa Advanced Member

Australia
    I suspect mine might be a fake Emerald cart as well.. I was a fair way into the game before I destroyed my save by my own means heh. Beyond 30 minutes anyway.

Does anyone have some more concrete info?

5. silverspoon

Member silverspoon GBAtemp Fan

6. Try2bcool

Member Try2bcool GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You could handle this one of three ways:

1. Tell the seller that you know it is a bootleg and ask for a refund upon return of the cart. (kind of a risk, you may end up with nothing)

2. Report the seller to Ebay (it is against their policy to sell bootleg carts), and they will investigate the seller, refund your money, and I would think they would want you to return the cart to someone, not sure who.

3. Keep the cart, play it for as long as it works, and be wiser and more wary of buying carts from Ebay. (and don't buy from that seller again)

7. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    It'll probably die on you in a couple of weeks so don't play too much and get attached to all your pokeymanz

8. sk3tch

Member sk3tch GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm curious - how were you able to determine that it was a bootleg?

9. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Look up the bottom of the cart, using a torch if nessasary; if you can't see Nintendo written on the circuit board it's a fake.

10. Ruri

Member Ruri GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Hehehe, when an American hears that they think of this:

[​IMG]

Or this:

[​IMG]

11. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Mmm, toasty. [​IMG] More like "turn all your carts into something about as useful as a dead fake". Silly localisation barrier. So what do you lot call the ones that run on batteries? (edit: wait don't answer that I just figured it out.)

12. martin88

Member martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I would have just bought a GBA flash cart like EFA, it's only $20 and is reliable. How much did you pay for the game?

13. VBKirby

Member VBKirby GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I bought Pokemon Sapphire on ebay and it was bootleg. Ways to tell.

Internal clock doesn't work
    Save data erases very quickly
    does not connect to DS games

14. PBC

Member PBC What!? I can change this??

United States
    Flash Lite. Its not just Emulation Jargon, it is also the name for a light running off of batteries.

Man, I wish I had a battery operated Torch tho! =)

15. pokemongalaxy

Banned pokemongalaxy Banned

Canada
    Yah my friend from malaysia gave me a pokemon emerald game for like a quarter(so it's prob a bootleg...[​IMG] ) My save kept corrupting

16. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    I saw 2 bootlegs and a demo not for resale today at the flea market. Some jerk took advantage of this older guy who sells stereos, tvs, and consoles who has a few handheld titles too. The bootlegs were Minish Cap and Ogre Battle...the lame thing is Minish had 2 real ones next to it. MC had the box art logo with the light background (real is a red label and less entertaining), and Ogre Battle had an obvious cheapo printer label and the logo was super stretched out and didn't fit.

The demo title was one of the American Fire Emblem games. I warned the guy about the 2 fakes and that the demo likely is a few stages and won't finish. He said he'd test to see if they ran right and would sell em anyways but probably mark them. He gave me a $2 discount on a GBA game that wasn't a fraud (Zelda, Classic NES version) so I took that.

17. Japhle

Member Japhle GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Also sometimes with the pokemon games, They forget to change the cart color.
    That's how I realized my Firered.

18. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    I bought a FFVI Advance cart a few months back on eBay and it turned out to be a bootleg (It had FFIV characters on the label [​IMG]).
    I managed to finish it without losing my saved games and recently I went to check on them and they were all still there.

I guess I got lucky!

19. Jack-Of-Trades

Member Jack-Of-Trades GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Easy way to tell even nintendo has a section on there site about it

1.If the screw holding it together is Philip's Head it's Fake
    2. If you open it and see something that looks like a battery it's fake (Nintendo uses different method's for RTC )

20. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    Huh, we must have bought from the same person [​IMG] .

The best, easiest way to check is checking the back where it has 'Nintendo' and the model #(AGB-002, I think). If the font is off ore the model # is wrong(like the FFVI cart I got said AGB-033 [​IMG] ), or comparing the labels to actual pictures, either online or at a GameStop, where I have yet to buy a fake game. And I buy there a lot.

Surprisingly, some of my first GBA games I got were bootlegs; I didn't even realize my Harry Potter:CoS game was until about a month ago after having it for near 4 years.