Hacking Just bought a 3DS. Perserve firmware or update?

mikey89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to be able to access the shop channel but i have to update to 3.0 to be able to do so. I would like to be able to play backed up DS game and eventually hopefully 3DS games. I was thinking about getting a flashcart but if there a software hack coming up i would prefer that. My question is Should i update or wait for a software hack and stay on 2.1.0 (and miss out on nintendo extra shop channel stuff).

kirbymaster101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Are you gonna buy your flashcart preflashed or will you flash it yourself? if you;re flasing it yourself on the 3ds then update the cart then the 3ds.

Majorami

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you buy a DSTwo, you can patch it even after a firmware update on the 3DS blocks it. The DSTwo runs a background mode to patch itself when the 3DS is blocking it. Suposably the M3 zero also has this function.

And go ahead and update. Waiting for any 3DS hack to come anytime soon is a pipedream. Theres sofar no news or hint of any 3DS mode hacks anywhere close to a commercial product.

Alternitavely, even 3DS retail games like Mario 3D land now come with firmware patches, requiring you to update your 3DS should you want to play. To not update your firmware means you're limiting yourself to just Zelda, Star Fox, and the rest of the crappy 3DS library. And whats the point of even having a 3DS if you can't even play a decent game on it?

Just update it.

mikey89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
K thx for the response guys, i think i understand things now. There will be no software hack in the near future probably and being on 2.1.0 wouldn't help anyway. I guess i do want to get a flashcart that play GBA and DS backups; So I should wait to update until I get one, Depending on which one i choose. Which one is the best out of all of them?

Also is there any hope of a 3DS flashcart coming out soon? like the crown 3DS is implying that there almost done but theres something weird about that site. Why is the progress bar always 70% even though they talk about making progress? It just seems kinda fake for some reason.

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess i do want to get a flashcart that can play GBA and DS backups. Which flash card is the best out of them all?

Those two words (GBA+DS) means your best (and probably only) option would be a DSTwo.
The Supercard DSTwo is the only solution since you are using it on a 3DS. iPlayer and iSmart Multi Media can't work on the 3DS due to their small 512kb Flash size. The DSTwo has a 2MB Flash size. :)

Majorami

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
K thx for the response guys, i think i understand things now. There will be no software hack in the near future probably and being on 2.1.0 wouldn't help anyway. I guess i do want to get a flashcart that play GBA and DS backups; So I should wait to update until I get one, Depending on which one i choose. Which one is the best out of all of them?

Also is there any hope of a 3DS flashcart coming out soon? like the crown 3DS is implying that there almost done but theres something weird about that site. Why is the progress bar always 70% even though they talk about making progress? It just seems kinda fake for some reason.
I'm just gonna go on a limb and say forget about Crown 3DS.

Their "updates" said they'd sell a card, and then in future updates, patch it to make it work with 3DS games. To me, that sounds like if they do release, they might intend selling people useless carts, and then just take the money and run. Its not until we start getting user videos of the cart working should we drop our guard and buy one.

Also, you have to keeep in mind that current flashcart makers of all people would atleast have some progress in 3DS hacking, and yet these nobodies Crown 3DS claim to be 70% close to a commercial product. Pretty fishy. Again, we'll just have to wait and see.

Lastly, and this is the most important,You shouldn't really refrain from not-updating your 3DS firmware. Current DS flashcarts can easily bypass firmware updates, so you should assume if that Crown 3DS were legit, then they'd be atleast competant enough to do the same.

And regarding your NDS Flashcart decision, whether you want crappy GBA emulation or not, The DSTwo's ability to patch itself to run on a 3DS without assistance is alone worth getting it.

Reactions: 1 person

mikey89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, after looking at there twitter page ive decided its probably fake. every other hacker group ive seen at least kinda updates there progress if they have a twitter. Dam, I really dont wanna buy a DSTwo for 40$ then someone come out with a 3DS flash cart. That would blow majorly.

Majorami

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, after looking at there twitter page ive decided its probably fake. every other hacker group ive seen at least kinda updates there progress if they have a twitter. Dam, I really dont wanna buy a DSTwo for 40$ then someone come out with a 3DS flash cart. That would blow majorly.
Theres no garuntee a 3DS Flashcart would run both 3DS and NDS roms alike.

GBA mode on the DS was separate from the NDS mode, and thats not because the two used different slots. There were no Flashcart advancements that allowed GBA roms run in GBA mode through a NDS Flashcart. None.

The only was DSTwo can play GBA roms because it's CPU has just enough power to allow enough power to emulate GBA rom, just like homebrew emulators emulate gameboy color roms.

Because DS Mode and GBA were separate, it might be pretty possible that a 3DS flashcart can only do 3DS Roms. And to me this seems like a better buisness tactic even if its not the ccase. Make more money by forcing people to buy both a NDS and 3DS cart. Course its not outside the range of possibility that a single flashcart can run in two different modes, but theres still a limited amount of slot one space to fit everything in.

And besides all of that speculation, you should just stop whining about prices. The DSTwo, depending on where you buy it, is cheaper than a 3DS game, and can be used to pirate the near 6000 NDS Roms, another 3000 kind-of GBA roms, can play media formats that Moonshell can't, can make it's own cheat codes on the fly, can patch itself without the aid of a 2nd DS, and much, much, much more.

Just by pirating 2 games, you already have the unit paying for itself. I work minimum wage job, but I don't cry over the measily $40 it costs to get something that literally saves me time, space, and money. Just shut up, get the DSTwo, be happy, and stop worrying about that pathetic $20 you could have saved getting an Acekard. If I was a smoker... I would literally video tape myself burning a $20 to light a cigarette and upload the video to youtube to paste in this thread just to make a point that its just plain sad to fret over such meager amounts of money. Fucking minimum wage job, make enough money in 7 hours to buy a DSTwo that will most likely provide me with free gameplay for the next 5 years. Or you can watch 3DS firmware changes like a hawk, and get an Acekard and wait for them to update their patches for $20 and just have bare-bones NDS play. Either way theres still no reason why anyone would complain about a $20 or $40 purchase after considering the facts of what they're getting in return. Its not like you're getting nothing. And sorry if any of this offends you, but it annoys me that you'd punish yourself by not updating firmwares or refusing to buy very deserving flashcarts based on the very little sacrifices you'd have to make to remedy your situation.

To me, its a very simple math:
For the price of one new Nintendo DS game gets you a Flashcart.
For the price of one new Nindendo 3DS game gets you a Deluxe Flashcart.

I bought a DSTwo for $37 a month ago, and I'm VERY stingy with my money, and I don't regret the purchase one bit, even if a 3DS cart would magically show up today.
I bought a Cyclo DS for $60 4 years ago, and it lasted me all the way up to the point that I had to buy a 3DS, and much like my DSTwo, I don't regret that one bit because of what the device gave back to me in return.

And much like the other posts I state around the place, the only reason I went for DSTwo was because I didn't want to constantly check Acekard's page about when its safe or not to update my 3DS firmware. To hell with the GBA emulation and extra cheat functions. I spent a measily amount of $20 more because I know in the future, I won't need a 2nd DS to bail me out if I ever made a firmware update mistake.

Reactions: 1 person

mikey89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah good point guys. Im buying it right now. One last thing: Its giving me the option to buy memory 2-16 GB for 5.50-25.00$. Do I need to buy extra memory for it? i thought it came with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @K3Nv2 is too dumb to assemble IKEA furniture :tpi: