Just blowing steam

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by jumpman17, Aug 22, 2007.

Aug 22, 2007

Just blowing steam by jumpman17 at 5:58 PM (895 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. jumpman17
    OP

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    I'm SO mad right now. I've been trying to buy Office 2007 from my college now for over a week.

The first time I drove up, the server was down. Dull!

The second time I drove up, the server was still down. Cool!

The third time I tried was the first day I moved into my dorm. I stood in the 20 minute line, they swiped my card...and the server crashed. Bravo!

So I try again today. I stand in line for 30 minutes. I get in, and they tell me the system says I already bought it. Awesome!

After I yell and complain, they give me a card with a number to call. I call the number, explain what happened, they say they are going to transfer me to the person in charge. And then they leave me on hold for half an hour after which I get tired of being on hold so I hang up, call again and get a machine saying everyone went to lunch. Stylish!

They are really trying my patience.

2. iTech

Member iTech GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Nothing to do about it. I have never seen any type of school that doesn't pull shit like you described on a daily basis, especially when computers are involved. I have my share of stories too.

On a side note, I think it's pretty shitty that MS is using schools to promote Office and other MS products. They have tons of little deals and promotions that benefit schools when they buy MS software. Sometimes you can't go around them, for example if a course is given on how to use Office, it's only natural to use Office during that course. But say you're studying to be a lawyer, they should ideally use Open Office or some other non-proprietary product in classrooms to maintain manufacturer neutrality.
    I once held an intern position in a company that was one of Microsoft's greatest allies, and my supervisor was a huge Linux/OpenSource aficionado that went on and installed Linux on all computers, till they found out and he got fired. We were supposed to work with MS software exclusively according to company policy, and he was stressing that MS was the devil and Linus Torvalds the Messiah. He almost drew up a picture of the Battle at Megiddo with both sides fighting each other and posted it all over the offices.
    But now I deviate ...

3. Takrin

Member Takrin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    eh, card says you already bought it? why not just download it [​IMG] seeing how you already own it its not like your stealing, your just reclaiming your property

4. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Office 2007 is HORRIBLE

it's impossible to use if you've used the normal office

5. Icarus

Member Icarus fire walk with me

United States
    Why buy it when you can pirate it for free ? [​IMG] That's what I did xD

6. jumpman17
    OP

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    Takrin: because updating illegal stuff is hard to do.
    Linkiboy: I know, but I need Access 2007 for a class (has to be 2007) so I'll install that and leave Word and Excel XP office versions on my PC.

After another 4 attempts at calling that person, I finally got through and she says her computer shows that I reserved it, but haven't picked it up yet. So she is going to meet me at the software shop tomorrow, cut me past the half hour line, and get me my software.

7. dsbomb

Member dsbomb GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Ask them what sort of server software they have. It would be a good laugh if the server that's always crashing/down is MS.

8. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    One word: Get OpenOffice!