Just before I get the r4

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by ojsinnerz., Oct 27, 2007.

Oct 27, 2007

Just before I get the r4 by ojsinnerz. at 3:59 AM (1,189 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. ojsinnerz.
    OP

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    Hi, i'm new here, and i'm thinking of getting the r4 revolution soon. But before I do, I want to ask a simple question. When you convert some sort of video file into the r4, does it's size get bigger than the original, or smaller than the original? Thx for your time

2. sylux92

Member sylux92 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It gets smaller than the original. Smaller format, plus it shrinks it for a smaller screen.

3. enigmaindex

Member enigmaindex the Scarecrow

Australia
    Smaller file. Converted my 170meg file to 120meg. I used DPG Batch Converter and the highest settings for this. You could go smaller if you chose lower settings.

4. ojsinnerz.
    OP

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    thx, i really wanted to put some videos in. also, what if the file is over 1 gig? how much smaller would it be? srry if it's to much to ask

5. Nero

Member Nero GBAtemp RPG Maniac

United States
    Sorry, but there isn't a way to calculate that. (A lot of factors to count)

~Nero

6. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    As an example, I converted the Transformers DVD (4+gigs) to DPG and now it's down to 387 megs.

7. Nero

United States
    Crap... That's a pretty good conversion rate. That drops to it right under 10% of the regular size!

[​IMG] How do you guys get such good Video sizes? I tried a Simpsons Episode which was about 95 MB, then after I converted it to .dpg it went up to about 150 MB.

Whatever, it's probably because I used the best settings possible.

~Nero

8. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    I got the exact same as Nero, dunno why. Have fun with your R4 oj. [​IMG]

9. enigmaindex

Australia
    What settings you choose? In some cases choosing Ultra or High increases the size.

I had a 1gig movie i made in Premier, converted it to .dpg and it was 12.3meg
    If you don't believe me i''l take a screen shot

EDIT: If you browse through this guide I'm sure it says something about dpg files increasing in size

Link: Clicker here

10. Nero

United States
    Yeah, I used Ultra.

I don't think theres any quality differences really? Next time I guess I'll try medium/low settings.

~Nero

11. enigmaindex

Australia
    Yeah, your right, i just tried a video in ultra and medium. Not much difference in quality, although you could tell when there was a lot of fast moving action that the ultra video looked better.

12. Eyedunno

Member Eyedunno GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    Not only are you reducing the resolution in most cases, but also the frame rate. I'm not up to date on DPG video, but last I checked, you couldn't do more than 18FPS or for a fullscreen video without problems in Moonshell. That's a 25% reduction in frames for a 24fps movie.

You can't give a simple answer though. Using high bitrate DPG conversion on a really horrible, overcompressed source file will produce a bigger file than the source.

13. Grimalkin

Member Grimalkin Waaaaaaaah!

Canada
    If you're converting from a higher quality video to a lower quality video (or of equal quality in a different format) don't use nero. Rip the video and encode it using an ffmpeg(2) converter, you'll get better results at a smaller video size.

For windows users, I recommend: SUPER, you can find it on download.com for free.

After you encode it using SUPER(or ffmpeg equivalent), convert it into DPG form.