Hacking Just another n00b, but I want to start!

nedthehead

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys! I want to be a regular around here.

Well, my DS Lite is coming in the next few days. It's the new Blue and Black version that was released a short while back. I do want to get into hacking the DS. Specifically, I want to get into DS and GBA ROM's (I actually own a lot of GBA games legally) some homebrew, and any other things that will help me hack the DS. The problem is I don;t know where to start! I searched the forums, and couldn't find one good "START HERE" topic, so that's the only reason I'm posting this. Having hacked many iPods, PSP's, and built my own computer, I know what a nuisance new users can be.
So my simple question is this: What do I need? I really don't know what all the texhnixal information is right now. Im learning as much as I can now, but I want to know what I need to start hacking. If there is a topic that covers it, could someone link me there or just tell me the forum in which it is in?

Thanks a lot guys!

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
First, welcome to GBAtemp!
grog.gif

Okay here goes.

There really is no DS hacking, just mainly modding with software, although you can mod your DS with FlashMe (firmware replacement). And there are many good ways to mod your DS.

First of all, there are slot 1 cards. These guys are usually very good, but there is no chance of playing GBA games from them. Do not ask why, or else be flamed. Actually, there is not enough RAM in a slot 1 to run a GBA game.

As for slot 2's, there are fewer of them, but almost all can play GBA games.

For you, I'd suggest either an R4DS or DSTT for a slot 1. Both are cheap and have fairly good features, although the R4 cannot support SDHC microSD cards. Or if you have money, get a Cyclo DS Evolution. Better features and just awesome.

And for the slot 2, get an EZFlash 3-in-1 expansion pack to start. It's like 20 bucks, and supports GBA.

Hope this helped.

Jaejae

Superfly Don't Used
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
I can vouch for the R4 and the 3 in 1, having owned both (I still own the 3 in 1) I can say that they are both been great carts.

As far as I'm concerned, the Cyclo DS isn't worth the money, although in saying that I havent owned one.
With the exchange rates how they are, I paid roughly the same that I would have for a Cyclo, for my Acekard RPG, which comes with 1GB of internal memory, as well as a MicroSDHC slot and an open source loader.

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yes if you want our help finding you the products you need, you need to figure out what you need and whats important to you, me personally, i own an acekard rpg with a EZV 3-in-1, and a DSTT for my little sister

nedthehead

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks a lot for responding guys!

I was looking at the CycloDS Evolution. And If Im down right, this will allow me to do everything, except run GBA ROM's? And I'll need a slot 2 card for that.
And a quick yes or no here, I guess there is a different set of hardware that is accessed thru slot-1, then is accessed thru slot-2, which is the reason you cant run GBA games on a slot-1 card.

drock360

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yea, I have an R4 and it is definitely the most supported card with homebrew and slot 2 devices. It has been around a long time and it is the most popular, so it is very well supported.

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys! I want to be a regular around here.

Well, my DS Lite is coming in the next few days. It's the new Blue and Black version that was released a short while back. I do want to get into hacking the DS. Specifically, I want to get into DS and GBA ROM's (I actually own a lot of GBA games legally) some homebrew, and any other things that will help me hack the DS. The problem is I don;t know where to start! I searched the forums, and couldn't find one good "START HERE" topic, so that's the only reason I'm posting this. Having hacked many iPods, PSP's, and built my own computer, I know what a nuisance new users can be.
So my simple question is this: What do I need? I really don't know what all the texhnixal information is right now. Im learning as much as I can now, but I want to know what I need to start hacking. If there is a topic that covers it, could someone link me there or just tell me the forum in which it is in?

Thanks a lot guys!

Don't we all?!
wink.gif

I suggest G6 for GBA gaming. 'Nuff said

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks a lot for responding guys!

I was looking at the CycloDS Evolution. And If Im down right, this will allow me to do everything, except run GBA ROM's? And I'll need a slot 2 card for that.
And a quick yes or no here, I guess there is a different set of hardware that is accessed thru slot-1, then is accessed thru slot-2, which is the reason you cant run GBA games on a slot-1 card.

No Slot 1 can play GBA games ever, you're going to need a slot 2 or an expansion for that. So you can get a Cyclo or R4DS and a slot 2 like a G6 or EZF IV.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Yawn