Just a confirmation about EZ4 And MicroSD Cards

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Jack-Of-Trades, May 2, 2008.

1. Jack-Of-Trades
    OP

Member Jack-Of-Trades GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I read a review on the DX site that said micro card's didn't work...

so when it came time to order a new card i couldn't find a decent 2GB mini SD (herd SanDisk formats to 1GB in fat16

So i got brave and ordered a Kingston 2GB Micro SD (turns out japan/taiwan/china

2. Generic

Newcomer Generic Newbie

The EZ4 will not work with microSD without a microSD-to-miniSD adapter.

EZ4 - MiniSD
    EZ4 Lite - MicroSD

The plain EZ4 is the GBA size cart, while the Lite is the DS Dustcover. Unless you are using an adapter, you have the plain EZ4. Do your research and don't confuse people and cause them to waste money on the wrong kind of card for their cart. If you are using the adapter, then congrats on saving money... miniSD and microSD card prices are comparable, but microSD cards have more uses and are more flexible. Adapters are only a 1.50 or so USD, so that is a good way to go for people looking to get bang for the buck.

3. Jack-Of-Trades
    OP

United States
    Honestly i was referring to someone saying microSD wouldn't work even with an adapter (I'm thinking they formated the card wrong)

And they may be comparable but not when you buy a mini at walmart and a micro from amazon

Walmart for the 1GB Mini SanDisk = $21.55 (including tax)
    Amazon for a new Kingston 2GB MicroSD About $22 (twice the space for the same price lol) + it came with micro to mini and micro to full adapter

And I'm gonna just super glue a piece of fabric to the mini sd adapter since it gets stuck in the ez4 cart and have to use tweezers to get it out

4. trikon000

Member trikon000 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I use blue tape as a pull tab on the microSD.

[​IMG]

it is a whole lot cheaper than fabric and superglue in the long run and you don't mess up the microSD.

5. Jack-Of-Trades
    OP

United States
    I gave up on the idea of tape and fabric

Tape i couldn't get it thin enough to hold the adapter strong enough
    and not thick enough for the tape not to break

Im just gonna just end up using my old mini sd for storage (or something)

and buy more micro card's if i need the room (the mini to micro adapter fit's pretty well in the phat version)

And btw i have no problem getting the micro out the ez4 phat that ate the adapter lol

P.S. Have enough SD adapter's? (not that i have room to talk i have 3 as well [​IMG] but there all diffrent though)

6. trikon000

Member trikon000 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    the blue tape is strong enough for you to pull it out of microSD slots without a spring loading latch.

you have to rub the tape down to make most of the air go out so it will stick strong enough.

for the microSD reader, I just use the one that came with my R4, thing sticks out enough so you can pull it out, more convienent than the SD adaptor that comes with the microSD chip.