Jump Ultimate Stars - Nintendo DS games sprite/graphic change patch qu

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by nobitapow, Dec 12, 2008.

1. nobitapow
    OP

Newcomer nobitapow Newbie

United States
    Is it possible to change the character sprite and replace a differen't sprite over it? for example: Naruto battle sprite (not koma) gets replaced with Megaman Zero sprite. Can someone tell me if this is possible?

2. VISHI SO FISHI

Member VISHI SO FISHI Cricket My love!

India
    yes its possible, ask the more experienced hackers, like noatira,or heran bago

3. nobitapow
    OP

United States
    Where can I find the ones you call noatira and heran bago. Links or a direction will help me greatly. I'm very excited about your answer

Say, wouldn't you happen to know what program i could use to change the sprite/graphic for Jump Ultimate Stars battle action character?

4. Snch3j1b

Newcomer Snch3j1b Member

United States
    Uh... too make my short answers short:

1. Yes it is possible, but generally not worth the effort.

2. Look around the forums. Specifically, in this forum. (Noatira->Noitora)

3. None. Make one.

Hmm... even shorter: Yes.Look.No.

5. Noitora

Member Noitora ::

Greece
    It's Noitora =_=;

Also everything is possible but it will be really hard to pull off something like that.

6. nobitapow
    OP

United States
    Hi Noitora. What program can i use to change the character Naruto battle action sprites? You guys may think it's not worth the effort, but i'm willing to put my time in making it.

Tell me what program I am suppose to get, and i'll make it happen. If I am successful, I'll publish my work. Cmon guys.. it's like M.U.G.E.N

7. DarthNemesis

Member DarthNemesis GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    There's no such program, you would have to figure out the file formats and write it yourself, and probably reprogram some of the game to add frame timing/abilities. That's why he said it would be really hard.

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Keshire did a whole bunch of work on the JUS sprites a while back which appears to be what you want to know
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=608...t=0&start=0

A word of advice though, if that thread does not make sense I suggest finding a computing book (data representation and file formats.....) and reading that before going on.

9. DokiDoki98

Member DokiDoki98 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    LURK MOAR.

WHY DO YOU BRING THAT UP. XxRoxaSoraxX tried that, and.....well lets say, it ended up like NSMB2. (no ofence VISHI)

It's not like MUGEN, MUGEN is an engine, and its open source(correct me if I'm wrong)

10. Keshire

Member Keshire GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I try and stay away from threads like these because a lot of people who don't know a lot about computers ask unreasonable questions...

BUT. My answer is going to be no.

Koma shape and size going to be stored in a different file.
    Characters have a file where each frame is defined for each move. And some characters have more or less frames.

If someone wanted to write an app to modify that move file then it would be possible.

That file is controlling frame numbers, effects, attachment characters (Such as Allen's Golem), probably damage. Pretty much everything...

Simply swapping sprite files would cause the frames to not match the moves.

I really really wanted to see JUS become a heavily modded game. But the interest and help just wasn't there. And I didn't have the skill to continue.

11. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    it's not impossible. I've done some sprite editing myself (well not JUS) before, but as Keshire said, the "extra attachements" can be your problem. Unless you want to "hit" enemies with the mega buster, or only shoot one bullet, then I'll say no, unless you completely figure out the file format.
    When it comes to reading the data from a hex editor and trying to find out the format, try looking at some basic script files, such as MSG files, or the script files from Ys DS.
    And move a little further, to NSCR map files, and even more, to archive files, such as the archive files in san goku, and the archive files and the graphic formats used in JUS wouldn't be so hard to pull apart.

12. Keshire

United States
    The rest is all movement data. Contains variable arrays and all kinds of booleans, nonsense and gibberish. I can usually make out the frame numbers. But I haven't been able to tie anything else together.

13. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    what I was basically saying was that replacing sprites would work but I doubt a moveset change would be possible.

14. Keshire

United States
    My bad. I had sprite swapping in my mind... Not replacing.

Ya replacing would be totally possible, and the Battle Sprites are almost completely known. It wouldn't take someone with coding knowledge long to take my work and put together an import/export application. Just using a Hex editor won't be possible though with the way they did the tiling.

Still. I'd love to mess with the movement files should someone write an import/export app.

15. Fire Emblem

Newcomer Fire Emblem Newbie

Brazil
  16. nobitapow
    OP

United States
    Kenshire or anyone willing to help me with this problem, i'm at the point where I finished editing the raw file picture (example pic below). How can I get compress the raw file picture back into the Jump Ultimate Stars game? There isn't any program that can let me compress a raw file back into the a .dig file.

[​IMG]

Kenshire, I am very interested in replacing sprites for the Jump Ultimate Stars game. I would spend hours ontop of hours just to change JUS sprites. If you have any interest left inside you, me and you can revive your tarnished dream.

17. CrashmanX

Member CrashmanX Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld

United States
    Just because the sprites were extracted doesn't mean you can actually do anything with the game, also Yes as people have been saying it is possible but it just takes a lot of work and effort but, best of luck.