Judge rules Nintendo illegal protects systems', should be like win

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Bullshit, surely this means any form of anti-piracy could be deemed illegal?

(Well not quite, but I can't find the right wording atm)

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Law said:
Not quite, the ruling is against locking out development.
Anti-piracy would fall under protecting ones own property.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Curious. I was always under the impression that the flash card itself was borderline, but still technically legal. Whereas rom files were always illegal, which is fair enough really. But the legal status of the cards themselves seems to fluctuate wildly. Strange case indeed.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Zarcon said:
Law said:
Not quite, the ruling is against locking out development.
Anti-piracy would fall under protecting ones own property.

Probably closer to what I was thinking, but they sort of have to lock out development in order to protect their property.

Either way though it's sounding pretty fake since it was posted earlier, but there isn't really news of it anywhere important.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Well bravo Nintendo, instead of approaching anti-privacy with obvious motives, they decide to take it to court and see if the law can defend for them. Since this is really about money and patent ideas from developers being screw over by you pirates, this can go either both ways. The judge rule in favor of Nintendo, their second task is now to sue all the flashcard companies because of illegal practices...or...The judge can deny their case because of some law/act that protects a company from doing their business but the practices they allow are not their fault but the consumers.

So if this case wins or loses, the judge might make sure that if consumers with flashcards are playing illegal copies of any roms...they will be fined and sent to prison for advertising anti-privacy

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Seems odd. I'd like to read the documents (if and only if they are released). It's true that people should be allowed to dev their own software for their platforms, but Nintendo isn't open-source, and they are making money off it. Therefore, Big N should be allowed to protect their investment (firmware, etc) because it is the way they make money. (People have to ask for permission to use and licenses, remember that weird developer who used different sprites and things and never got a vital piece of his programming done because of the licensing issue?)

However, Big N should acknowledge the devs out there, and give them access to some tools. I'm not saying all, but tools are important in devs.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
nintendo should stop selling all nintendo products in europe to teach them all a lesson
rofl2.gif

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1)France said it, it's still just as illegal everywhere else.
2)That judge is a retard, if they wanted they could get it appealed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for FOSS, and I believe everything should be FOSS. But they made the game system, no one has a write to tell them that they don't want others using means of pirating what they did to protect their games, and lack of 'openness' sure as hell isn't a court decision, I'm sure France doesn't have a transparent government either ;]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs