Judge rules Apple can't force developers to use its App Store payment system (Epic v. Apple)

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On Friday Septemeber 10th, 2021, it was ruled that Apple had violated California's Unfair Competition Law by forcing developers (in this case, Epic specifically with Fortnite) to use Apple's payment systems on the App Store where Apple extracts a 30% commission on every in-app purchase in the process. It was not ruled however that Apple holds a monopoly as the suit was also arguing.

To get around Apple taking that 30% cut, Epic had encouraged iOS players to buy the game's digital currency, known as V-Bucks, directly from Epic, as opposed to through Apple's in-app purchase system. To sweeten the deal, Epic offered a discount to those who bought V-Bucks directly. Apple saw this as a gross violation of its contract with Epic and an attempt to undercut a key revenue stream. The iPhone maker booted Fortnite from the App store, and Epic immediately filed what appeared to be a largely premeditated lawsuit. Epic is not seeking monetary compensation but rather for Apple to change it's behavior on this manner. Apple is expected to appeal.

Source

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am somewhat surprised here. I did not expect this outcome (granted we likely have appeals to first go through), even if I like it (pending reading the whole thing anyway and assuming it is plain unfair competition).

I also wonder what Apple will do much like Steam do to second hand games in Europe to make it a pain in the arse to use so only the most determined/technical users will be inclined to go in for it as opposed to everybody and their donkey

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Weird to say this, but..."only" $3 million? Aren't they worth over $15 billion?
Utterly pathetic. Should've been at least $3 billion.

That's practically pocket change to Epic; not going to affect them much at all.
It's a portion of the money they made from in-app purchases which circumvented Apple's payment system for that period of time. I too would've preferred a much larger amount, but then again it's going to Apple, so nobody really wins anyway.

Reactions: AkiraKurusu

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cannot stand either company, I just enjoy watching the shit show. I hope Timmy goes after Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo next.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Weird to say this, but..."only" $3 million? Aren't they worth over $15 billion?
Utterly pathetic. Should've been at least $3 billion.

That's practically pocket change to Epic; not going to affect them much at all.

Eh, its Apple. They will survive standing pretty no matter what happens.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse