Judge denies Nintendo's request to dismiss Joy-Con drift lawsuit, case heads to arbitration

1490969179_1311617.jpg

The Joy-Con controversy continues. New information is out regarding the class-action lawsuit, filed back in 2019 over players having to deal with their Switch Joy-Con analogue sticks defectively drifting. Nintendo recently tried to have the case dismissed, but the presiding United States District Judge rejected the attempt. While the lawsuit won't be disregarded, it instead will be headed to arbitration, despite the wishes of the plaintiff, who believed that arbitration wouldn't allow affected users to get injunctive relief, likely meaning Nintendo wouldn't be required to fix Joy-Con drift. The case moving to arbitration requires both the plaintiff (Ryan Diaz) and Nintendo to come to an agreement together, with the help of an impartial third party.

:arrow: Source

skawo

Trophies
XP
Country
any joystick will drift.
small joysticks simply will drift earlier.
why is nintendo singled out in this?

there is no fix beyond making joycons much thicker, or cutting battery in halve to make more room for a larger joystick module

Really?

If a product, the way it's designed, will quickly acquire a defect, then said product should not be sold to consumers.
If the joycons have to be physically thicker to not drift 0.2 of a femtosecond after being taken out of their box, then they should be.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Even as someone who hasn't experienced this problem, it's clear that Nintendo, especially with the whole situation with the coronavirus and the manufacturing delays (companies, take a hint: invest in manufacturing jobs in the United States! They're probably more in demand than you might expect for anywhere that's not Chicago, Los Angeles, or New York!), is like the guy in this video:

(anyone else get the vibe that the Onision case is gonna go nowhere with all of the drama and how played out it all is, btw?)

Lol you obviously know jackshit about business.
Why pay 8 dlls/hour to a minimum wage employee in the US when in other countries you can pay those same 8 dlls as the whole day payment (and in China is even lower than that)?
Get off with your patriotic bs.

It's obvious why many companies seek other countries for wide manufacturing processes, because it gets fucking expensive to manufacture in the US due to the high price of the hand labor.
You can keep spitting off crap to companies to manufacture in the US and keep echoing Trump's shit, but that won't change their way of thinking nor the way they work their own companies/business.

Last edited by ShadowOne333,
D

Deleted User

any joystick will drift.
small joysticks simply will drift earlier.
why is nintendo singled out in this?

there is no fix beyond making joycons much thicker, or cutting battery in halve to make more room for a larger joystick module

Ive never seen a brand new switch have this problem

Ive never seen a well taken care of switch have this problem

I always see this on nasty switches brought in - Mostly from kids

Wear and tear and mishandling of the hardware is the cause

Nin should not have to be dealing with this

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Bottom line is, they sourced shitty sticks from china, instead of going for some sticks that cost a little more. So Nintendo deserves everything they have coming at them during this joy-con fiasco.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Dude, I take care of my Switch as if my life depends on it.
I have it covered with a case, console protector, tempered glass, and I always play with my hands clean and keep it away from dirt.

I had the drift upon months of playing with it, then after that, I sent both of my Joycons to repair, and guess what?
I got them back and in LESS THAN A WEEK I had a WORSE drift than before!
So worse that the stick wasn't just drifting, it completely changed the direction of the input to the complete opposite.

So yeah, it is definitely an issue, more so given how many people have it, and even more so with the Lite having it as well.

All in all, I hope Nintendo gets f'd up the ass with the lawsuit, they deserve it, and more than gained.
It is about time they get a taste of their lawsuit medicine, since they seem to love suing everything.

It's the karma for what they did to fanprojects and romsites B-)

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
damn it i want damages at leas 1/8th of the switche's cost refunded to me and to ask for a dismissal in the process? nintendo's legal team has the balls to try that when they know cheap chinese labor is cheap for a reason (also they support child labor (it was found out during the Wii U era) at least the judge isn'r a corrupt mofo like the US AG we have or a certain other person

D

Deleted User

Dude, I take care of my Switch as if my life depends on it.
I have it covered with a case, console protector, tempered glass, and I always play with my hands clean and keep it away from dirt.

I had the drift upon months of playing with it, then after that, I sent both of my Joycons to repair, and guess what?
I got them back and in LESS THAN A WEEK I had a WORSE drift than before!
So worse that the stick wasn't just drifting, it completely changed the direction of the input to the complete opposite.

So yeah, it is definitely an issue, more so given how many people have it, and even more so with the Lite having it as well.

All in all, I hope Nintendo gets f'd up the ass with the lawsuit, they deserve it, and more than gained.
It is about time they get a taste of their lawsuit medicine, since they seem to love suing everything.

It's the karma for what they did to fanprojects and romsites B-)

Dealt with thousands of switches here and its always the ones that are disgusting that have this. Replaced many as well and never had one come back for another analog. Mileage varies I guess.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol you obviously know jackshit about business.
Why pay 8 dlls/hour to a minimum wage employee in the US when in other countries you can pay those same 8 dlls as the whole day payment?
Get off with your patriotic bs.

It's obvious why many companies seek other countries for wide manufacturing processes, because it gets fucking expensive to manufacture in the US due to the high price of the hand labor.
You can keep spitting off crap to companies to manufacture in the US and keep echoing Trump's shit, but that won't change their way of thinking.

And why do you think that businesses had to resort to hiring illegals? Because of years of people depending on the government to bail them out as opposed to taking responsibility for themselves, hence the idea of forcefully taking money from people who work hard and giving it to those that won't do what's necessary to be competitive in the world and provide value that matters. Eliminate the minimum wage, and prices will fall and more jobs will be created and made available where necessary. Get government out of funding for colleges, tell the colleges/universities to either manage themselves or die off, and tuition rates will fall because of market competition to at least hopefully break even or make a profit.

This is economics 101, not the orange man that you call bad. Your attempts to associate yours truly with him are duly noted as being not that much different rhetoric from the following:

And if you need anymore proof that I'm not some Trumpkin:

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

I on the other hand have dealt with Joycons that drift straight out of the box - the first run of the controllers was definitely defective in the sense that the tracks were made out of very soft material and would tear over time because the contacts were fairly thin, sharp and would often bend when pressed down. Nintendo has addressed the issue in the second run of controllers by increasing the width of the contacts, along with addressing the antenna issue - new joycons and new sticks shouldn't run into this problem unless they're indeed ridden into the ground hard. There's a good chance that they've hardened the tracks as well.

Reactions: Kazuto_Zed

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Bottom line is, they sourced shitty sticks from china, instead of going for some sticks that cost a little more. So Nintendo deserves everything they have coming at them during this joy-con fiasco.
ahhhh that explains it than. the joy cons are catching corona virus which is causing the drift. :creep:

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
And why do you think that businesses had to resort to hiring illegals? Because of years of people depending on the government to bail them out as opposed to taking responsibility for themselves, hence the idea of forcefully taking money from people who work hard and giving it to those that won't do what's necessary to be competitive in the world and provide value that matters. Eliminate the minimum wage, and prices will fall and more jobs will be created and made available where necessary. Get government out of funding for colleges, tell the colleges/universities to either manage themselves or die off, and tuition rates will fall because of market competition to at least hopefully break even or make a profit.

This is economics 101, not the orange man that you call bad. Your attempts to associate yours truly with him are duly noted as being not that much different rhetoric from the following:

And if you need anymore proof that I'm not some Trumpkin:

That still doesn't force any company to manufacture within the country.
Every enterprise is free to do whatever they want and wherever they want to branch-off to, and forcing them to manufacture in the US limits this, and not only that, but also shuts down any possibility of expanding as a business.

Sure, some companies do have their illegal treats in some countries, like Africa, China and others, but that still doesn't mean that all companies do it, nor that those are the only countries were labor is cheaper than in the US.
Latin America as a whole, and many Asian countries are still way cheaper than anything within North America or Europe.

They can't force the company to make in-house products, but as long as they don't fall into illegal activities, they are free to seek cheaper labor wherever they want, simple as that.
By forcing them to develop in-house, they can even get many companies in jeopardy, since we are talking about incrementing the employee's payment by 10 times (minimum) what they were paying in labor from other countries.

Now multiply that by whatever number of employees you might have in just one plant, and you can see how big of a money-loss it becomes.

Also, don't forget the majority of things are imported by the US and they also depend on many companies which are not from North America, even from 3rd world countries, so they depend on other countries as well.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Just for those interested, here's a comparison between the old style joycon stick (right) and the new style (left) with some visible differences. They also have different part numbers and a different shell. Screenshot courtesy of Tronixfix, very good channel on YouTube, can recommend. :)

_20200311_205334.JPG

In any case, it seems Nintendo is actively investigating ways of making the sticks more durable, which is good.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

thats not entirely true, while handling of the system and environment (very moist air, very dusty environments) certainly have an effect on drifting and there definitely are joycons that just come defective out of the box (which is true for a low percentage of all electronics and covered by warranty) as i said, it's the size of the components that make it seem like the joycons stick out.
the smaller graphite plates inside used to determine how the stick moves, that are always under mechanical strain, get scratched up, which creates graphite dust which messes with the readings. the smaller components require higher sensitivity, meaning interference from scratches and graphite dust has a stronger impact.
that's the basic technology behind all current joysticks. bigger modules have bigger graphite areas where strain is less concentrated, so it has less tendency to drift.

the general issue is true for all joysticks eventually, sometimes earlier, sometimes later.
which is why it's kinda ridiculous that nintendo is singled out in this the way it is.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    they be like which lite firefox exe pls
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Wut.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    GM all
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    butt
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    douche
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Touché.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Push it :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want...