Judge Allows Sony to Unmask Anybody Who Visited GeoHot Site

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Meh. Doesn't bother me. I never saw the point in hacking the family PS3. Even if I did get it working the ammount of time it'd take to download a game made it impractical. Besides, I don't need to hack the main consoles. If I drop enough hints my easily manipulated dad picks up whatever I want at no cost to me because he relies on my expertise as a gamer to show him what's worth playing. When he bought games based on his opinions he was buying shite like Bomberman Act Zero. After that 'bombshell' it was pretty much established that if I've not recommended a game it's probably not worth picking up.

Hence why I have no plans to buy Dragon Age 2. I'll just wait til he does then nick it
tongue.gif

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SPH73 said:
personuser said:
Destroy.

That.

Fucking.

SONY.

Right.

Fucking.

Now.

4chan.

Fixed.

Its not the judge's fault. He was just doing his job. Its SONY who is ENTIRELY to blame for the greatest attack on YouTube and our personal freedoms in the history of console modding.

And for those of you saying "they can't get my IP addy because..." well think again. You people need to review the terms of the DMCA. Sony WILL get not only your IP addy, but the personal information of the person who is paying for your internet service. (You, your parents, your college, etc.)

And what will they do with this information? Well you're going to be put on a watch list and your IP will be redflagged by your own ISP. Everything you do from now on will be suspect. And Sony will put you on their enemies list. Meaning no matter how much you support the company Sony will always consider you a criminal.

And that's how it is.

Its time to utterly destroy SONY. They are the real enemy here.

Judge is to blame as well for allowing such an asinine thing.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
xmastermiix said:
Don't fuck with Sony. The end.
That's pretty much what they want. No one was fucking with Sony, Sony is just fucking with everyone and just trying to be big man on campus, throwing their weight around like they own the place. It's about time someone stepped to to deflate their over-sized ego.

GH0ST

Your Hero is a Ghost
Trophies
Website
www.neuronball.com
XP
Country
France
ShadowSoldier said:
Judge is to blame as well for allowing such an asinine thing.
NOPE. SCEA respectfully requests that the Court enter an Order adopting the parties’ agreement.

( as it is mentioned in http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/threatle...speroruling.pdf )

QUOTEDear Judge Spero:
Plaintiff Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC (“SCEA”) has reached agreement
with Defendant George Hotz on the scope of third party subpoenas that may be served by SCEA
to seek jurisdictional discovery. SCEA respectfully requests that the Court enter an Order
adopting the parties’ agreement.

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
SPH73 said:
People like you sicken me. Anyone who tries to downplay this event is a corporate sell out.

This is the greatest attack on the personal freedom of gamers in the history of gaming.
I think my point didn't quite come across. What I mean is that we've been fucked for this long without major effects, really. It's not a matter of fighting back, it's a matter of holding still and waiting for the moment to strike. They're being pre-emptive in their strike; we don't have to be.
It's just the scale of this that scares people, despite the fact that the outcome is usually the same (no major effects), because there will always be someone who'll take GeoHot's place if we lose him. It's a fight over who's who, and who's the utilitarian here.

nintendoom

Nintendoom
Trophies
XP
twiztidsinz said:
trumpet-205 said:
What worries me is that YouTube collects every IP address?Seriously? THAT is what's troubling you about this whole thing? REALLY??

The well known fact that Google (who owns Google search, Youtube and Blogger) collects IPs is what troubles you more than the fact the judge granted Sony an extremely far reaching subpoena?

QUOTE(IchigoK2031 @ Mar 4 2011, 07:54 PM) I watched the video, but they can't do shit to me, since I DON'T OWN A PS3 LOL
Do you think that matters to Sony?
Are you a representative of Sony?
glare.gif

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
this just screams ILLOGICAL. What the hell? what happened to human rights?

oh thats right... SONY flushed it down their toilets.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So Sony has access to all the IP addresses that accessed Geohot's website. Unless there is a way to tell which of those IPs also downloaded his files, they don't actually have anything. Its a crapshoot, and they're just hoping to find a loose string to grab at to unravel the mess they've made.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
MarcusRaven said:
So Sony has access to all the IP addresses that accessed Geohot's website. Unless there is a way to tell which of those IPs also downloaded his files, they don't actually have anything. Its a crapshoot, and they're just hoping to find a loose string to grab at to unravel the mess they've made.
They are getting the download information, too.

Omninox

GBATemp's™ Retired Cheats Compiler
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Talk about taking things to the extreme... Sony's really taking this too far, and how could the judge agree to this, wouldn't this breach the privacy act? this doesn't have anything to do with law enforcement or administrative accounting, so there really should be no reason for Sony to be allowed this clearance.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Slyakin said:
I'm not sure what that means.
smile.gif

Sony. What the hell are you gonna do with these IPs anyway?
This.

They obviously won't come after each and every viewer (hopefully), so... what are their intentions?

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Here's the thing. A person, with a PS3 or not, will go to Youtube to do their normal video-surfing. Geohot's video is shown on the suggested list. Said person clicks the link, wanting to see what it's all about. By the court ruling, Sony now has the right to know that person's IP Address. Is it the fault of the user for clicking on the video, or the people behind Youtube who made the suggestion code that gave the person said video link? If the latter, what right does Sony have to get someone else's IP Address when it wasn't their fault? This GeoHot news is growing, but it isn't to a point where it is even near common knowledge.

And what about when Sony does have the IP Addresses? I can see Sony banning people with legit PS3s from using their network just because their IP Address matches one found on the list given to them by Youtube and the webhost of GeoHot's website. What if someone had leeched another's WiFi, and accessed either of those places? Now Sony will have the IP Address of a household who never even touched those places. How is that even right?

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OH! I know.

They want us to scream and cry and make us worship them.

That may work... But then NGP sales = 0.

EDIT: Just so I can see what happens, I visited Geohot's site and watched several Youtube vids. SUCK IT, AMERICA. I wonder if Youtube will take the videos down or something?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.