Jtags are back online, sayonara xbox live

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by petspaps, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2011
  1. petspaps
    OP

Member petspaps GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgqA_hCAiE

Seven sins have posted JTags are back online with the new kinect dashboard. With the video above this could lead to a new flood of hackers, what do you think?

Source

Click on the link if the vid doesnt work

Edit was for the vid, apologies [​IMG]

2. gifi4

Member gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Australia
    That's why I prefer PS3...

3. Wombo Combo

Member Wombo Combo That Ain't Falco

United States
    Space jam music oh boy.

4. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    So ps3 is hack free now is it.

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Having not watched the video I could be making a fool of myself but there is a difference between getting online and staying online for more than a few minutes/hours- the former is easy enough but the latter is somewhat more troublesome. MS are especially troubled by this sort of thing so expect swift reactions- equally they are known to monitor things (there was a rather amusing "presentation" on the subject a while back by one of the XBL mods).

As it stands though there are a fair few LAN games for the 360 and ping limit removal patches (provided it hosts a stock box can join in even)- a far better option for most.

In the end not a non story but nothing to get too excited about whichever of the many factions as it were you find yourself siding with.

Oh I should warn others- news is fine around here but I would not expect much/any help in getting it working. Hack all you want but messing with online services is a touchy subject.

6. Amak

Newcomer Amak Advanced Member

United States
    Jtags can usually get online with Freeboot or whatever it's called. They don't usually stay on long, though.

7. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    Great, more fuckers ruining what's left of online gaming. Guess I'll stick to playing Minecraft all the time as planned.

8. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    perhaps not completely hack-free, but if you go online with a PS3 running a cfw they will ban you.
    that takes away a lot of cheating methods.

9. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    considering that there is no more 1 month Free of XBL (as i heard so) then this would be a douchy thing to do, and get banned within lets say the 6 month period you bought to have it to get into online games - just saying.

10. Fear Zoa

Member Fear Zoa This... This is the world we live in

United States
    At this point the xbox 360 and the ps3 are on the same boat when it comes to hacking....ps3 being perhaps a bit more vulnerable due to the online being free

11. purplesludge

Member purplesludge anyone have any ideas for this space

United States
    This will probably be fixed soon since xbl is a paid service.

12. GameWinner

Member GameWinner Take your heart

United States
    I doubt they'll be online for long so they might as well get the little play time they do have.

13. zachpl

Newcomer zachpl Advanced Member

United States
    They are not releasing how to do it, only like four people right now know how and apparently it invovles modifications to the hardware as well as the software.

14. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    Cheating online is worse than pirating an Xbox game to me. (especially since usually they do both)

If I ever hacked my Xbox, I'd keep it offline anyway (buying Live that often is just a waste).

15. zachpl

Newcomer zachpl Advanced Member

United States
    Apparently it is undetectable right now >.>

16. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    it'll get banned eventually .
    just give it time like how they gave time to finally make Jtags online again after dashboard update .

17. Maedhros

Member Maedhros GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Brazil
    And the Wii and the DS... it's better not even talking about it, they have the worse online service almost from day 1. It's a clusterfuck of hackers and idiots, making it almost unplayable online.

18. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I would argue otherwise- the dominant hack for the 360 is the DVD drive mod which does not allow changes online beyond a few arguably irrelevant disc swapping hacks.

The hack this likely stems from is the SMC/JTAG hack coupled with a rebooter hack which does allow changes to game code. This requires a lot of specific stuff (the 360 can not have been updated since August 11th 2009 or made after about mid June the same year for one and some hardware modding although nothing major) as opposed to the just about any PS3 and a standard USB drive. Likewise MS have serious checks in place to counteract this and a headstart in defence.

I must admit I am curious as the general public is running behind on JTAG dashboards at this point in time (not that it bothers anybody) and the live authentication sequence is said to be less than fun to try and replicate properly on a hacked system so this would have likely taken a fair bit of work- porting the rebooter to a new dash*, sorting live sign up* and known detection methods (MS got it down to a fine art with ban times in the minutes rather than hours) as well as porting the relevant hacks to allow the game hacks to work properly. On the other hand the silly money people charge for keyvaults and entry to the hacked lobbies is probably enough to motivate someone with the relevant skillsets.

*if they managed to fake versions well enough to get old dashboards on that would merit a tip of the hat.

19. Memoir

Member Memoir Undeserved

United States
    I'm not exactly surprised... Since JTAGS have been online for a while now... Just not noticeable... There were quite a few Reach and CoD modders running rampant, ya know?

1 person likes this.
  20. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    Yes, because the PSN is currently not infested by hackers of any sort right now, utilizing lag switches, god mode, and other hacks during gameplay of Modern Warfare 2, Black Ops, and a whole load of other games. Not at all. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.