MalikNL

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well title says it all

Is it possible to JTAG (or any other method of playing backups) the new XBOX360 S(lim?) 250GB model?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm interested in getting the new XBOX360 but if it's impossible to play homebrew/backups on it then it's a no deal.

Any help is appreciated
rolleyes.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

MalikNL

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hmm so any indication how long it would take to be able to play back-ups (preferrably with an external HDD)

If it's going to be possible at all?

Would I be better off already buying it or just waiting..

DEagleson

Gamer Extraordinaire
Trophies
Website
raptr.com
XP
Country
Norway
The JTAG exploit was patched long ago, so unless they found a new weakness the answer is no.
frown.gif

My recommendation is to just grab a regular JTAG before its to late.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Backups from hard drive......

Via JTAG or similar I am not going to say no hope but consider it as such- nobody has said anything and to my knowledge nobody is working on it (enough JTAG and dev machines already out there for people)

Via something like a WODE (DVD drive emulation) then there was a device announced as in devlopment (made by the same people that made the WODE) but it has been stalled and nothing new has been heard in months.

No point in buying anything for it just yet unless you are buying a JTAG machine or a JTAG capable machine.

Straight up DVD hack

Should be around in the near future, no idea on a timeframe though.

DVD hack- buy now and wait (or buy an old model 360 and flash that). MS seem to be playing for keeps this time around so you do not want to get caught out.

MalikNL

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for the fast response

So would it be better to just buy one second hand or will the risk of it breaking down (RROD etc.) be too large?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can still buy new Jaspers (probably the most reliable model thus far) off the shelf as I very much doubt all the units would have been shifted at this point. The late model regular 360s are harder to DVD hack that the new slims are/will be- you need to fiddle with drive internals (see cut trace method*)

If you are lucky there are JTAG hacked Jaspers out there (you will pay more for one).

*You do not need the probe (you can do it with a few wires and a switch) but http://team-xecuter.com/ck3-probe-ii-mra-jungle-flasher/ gives an idea.

MalikNL

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
OK I'll dive right into it and try to get my hands on a jasper one, hope I can still get one in the Netherlands.
Any tips on how to recognize jasper motherboards without opening them?

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look at the plug where you connect the power brick and compare to this:
1236393270_2_xbox360identifypowerconnector.jpg

If there is no HDMI then it is the Xenon or Opus.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Jasper boards first appeared in mid 2008 so if you see one new on the shelf it will probably be a Jasper. If it is not then buy it anyway as you should be able to JTAG it (and then keep it or sell it on for more than a new one would cost).

Finally you can poke a hole in the box (it has a hole built for you to do it)- http://bjdraw.com/2009/07/03/how-to-tell-a...60-is-a-jasper/
If you see one made before mid June 2009 (definitely May 2009) grab it as you can JTAG it (and again sell it on for more than you paid for it).

Equally if all you care about is drive hacking then it was late October 2009 that the liteon 83850-v2 and 93450 drives first appeared so get one older than that if you want an easy flash (the original 83850 which can be done with just a compatible sata card first appeared around the start of June 2009 if not a bit later in retail) but if you are JTAG hacking you grab keys from the console itself so no worries there.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just a word of advice- if you are buying a second hand Jasper (or any 360 for that matter) with the intention of JTAG hacking it then make sure it has not been updated since August 11th 2009 (be it via live, burning an update to disc/USB or playing a game that needed an update (wave 4 and beyond I think- http://abgx360.net/verified.php will tell you what games have what wave).

https://docs.google.com/View?id=dnfmv5h_30dw33vpf4 has more.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Most retailers have now dumped all of their 'old stock', the slim has been around for a while now. The chances of finding a JTAG'able console from a retail store is slim to none.

Your best bet for a Jasper is to see if any collectors have a sealed RE5 consoles, as they were all JTAG'able.

For secondhand consoles, you can forget all Pro's and Elite's. Then you need an Arcade which hasn't been connected to Live since June 2009 August 11th 2009 as Fast says, and not had any Wave 4,5,6 games (ie any released from around October 2009). Those arcades are very hard to come by, around 1 in every 300 on eBay UK.

The chances of finding a used JTAG'able Falcon seem to be higher. Most used JTAG's are Xenon's as people buy RROD consoles cheap and then fix them and make a quite a bit of profit. The Zephyr I sold for £125, and it cost me £100. The person who brought it from me though has a website where he's charging £250 for the console I just sent him...

In the UK there as been a massive flood of Arcade consoles given away free (such as with TV's, Mobile phone contracts). Typically they come with Forza 3 & Halo Recon. None of those consoles are JTAG'able. eBay is full of those consoles.

Also remember the JTAG'ed Jasper Arcade 256MB/ 512MB consoles can suffer from NAND corruption if the internal memory is used, so you need to have a SPI flasher connected permanantly. Which means cutting holes in the case.

One big problem i've come across, i've notice most will update the dashboard to the lastest version before selling it. They think that's a good thing to do...

MalikNL

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have just been offered a new elite 120GB falcon model from a guy who JTAGs XBOXes.
Should I go for it? (he will JTAG it and add xexmenu/xexloader)

Will I be able to use an external HDD?

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That depends on what price he's charging you. Even on a Falcon, you will need to ramp the fans up, i'd set them to 85% or more on a Falcon through the softmod.

You can use an external HDD for game rips, and then the XBOX HDD for XBLA/ DLC.

You can use an external USB HDD as the XBOX drive, but they are limited to 16GB of the drives total capacity which makes it pointless.

Make sure U6T1 is bridged (important with a Dashboard update round the corner), and if possible get one which has been JTAG'ed with transistors instead of diodes.

It's vital he supplies a copy of the original NAND too.

MalikNL

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks a lot, he's charging 200 euros for it.

What do you mean with limited to 16GB?
Won't I be able to fully use my 1TB hdd space for ISOs?

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If it's new and includes it's accessories, then it's a reasonably good price. I sold a brand new Jasper Pro for £235, he seemed happy with the price.

You can run 'extracted' ISO images from an external drive (ie default.xex files), but not GOD/ DLC/ XBLA. This should come with it's 120GB Drive, The easiest thing to do is to open the drive up and pull out the drive. You can either replace it with a 1TB 2.5" drive, or get an external drive with eSata and Sata female to eSata male cable

SATA_female_internal_to_eSATA_male.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over