jtag jasper, now what?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by JohnLoco, May 2, 2010.

May 2, 2010

jtag jasper, now what? by JohnLoco at 5:05 PM (2,587 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. JohnLoco
    OP

Member JohnLoco GBAtemp Regular

Yugoslavia
    I just got myself a Jtagged box, but i know little and close to nothing about the xbox scene, so i turn here to help since xbox-scene is a mess.

This is what i know, i got a Jasper 256mb HDMI Jtagged box, with XELL and XBR.
    I got a 1,5terabyte extern harddrive (formatted FAT32)

What i want to know now is what to do, im planning to run freestyle dash.
    Where do i put things and HOW do i put things on the harddrive so it will work?

I'm just preppin the drive before it arrives, so tips and guides and comments will help allot.
    Pointers to emulator and whatnot is also much appricieated.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I am going for the too much info approach today (so same as every day I guess), if you are truly in need of a short short version then I will see what happens. The 360 is fairly simple (I would argue more so than the wii these days) but the rebooter stuff and everything that follows is a cut above DVD drive flashing and most other consoles.

I am assuming you are familiar with xbins (autoxbins is my chosen method here) and general use of FTP (I use filezilla myself for everything but especially matters of the 360).

XBR does afford other methods like GOD installs (what I mainly go in for) and you can make shortcuts if you prefer but freestyle dash is very very good so no more will be said there.

http://code.google.com/p/freestyledash/ is what I am basing this on (1.20 rather than 1.1 final and I have no access/previews to the upcoming 2.0 line, a few people have other forks and they can be worth checking out)

You can do things like have it launch automatically:
    http://www.xbins.org/nfo.php?file=xboxnfo1799.nfo
    Either way when it launches (there is also a manual option) you will be first asked where you want files to be stored and then it will scan the locations as mentioned in 1 and 2 below.

As you are new to this I will mention that 360 games have updates and said updates usually have to be the same version for systemlink multiplayer (some interesting things are set to appear here in upcoming rebooters) and perhaps more importantly for DLC. A couple of update methods exist but the big two are http://xbuc.clanvids.net/ and http://www.hb-released.com/forum/viewtopic...&p=515#p515 (OK so it is a frontend to the first but it is quite nice). Stash them in the cache folder in partition3.

Freestyle dash is a replacement dashboard and it can use several conventions-
    1) original dash- in the main partition (partition3) of the xbox hard drive (remember now you have a rebooter you can now stick any sata drive on there you like) there is a folder called "content" and a subfolder called "0000000000000000" (more on http://360.kingla.com/ including save locations which are quite useful for the many save editors that are floating around these days).
    With a PC application called iso2god you can make isos into GOD (games on demand) installs, this is where they go as do XBLA and DLC offerings, do note that some releases from scene and almost certainly p2p groups come with this content/0000000000000000/ folder already so make sure you pay attention when playing around with this sort of thing. If you already have a game installed as an NXE install then you can simply convert it with NXE2GOD. They do not use nice names but that link I gave in the last paragraph is a nice database of them and I have seen several name sanitisers floating around the various homebrew sites these last few weeks.

2) xexmenu/xexloader- this would be the folders GAMES, APPLICATIONS, EMULATORS folders that you can make on the root of any drive you like which deal with those things although in theory you could use any for anything else. Any viable storage method (onboard hard drive, memory cards, USB storage, DVD?* and maybe your flash section) that the 360 has access to can run things. Several things can be done here, if you do a manual copy of the DVD via freestyle dash or xexmenu then things should be autopatched, if you pull it apart with one of the various PC side tools (Exiso with a GUI in Exiso-GUI if command line does not suit you) then it can get a bit more tricky as you may have to use xextool (also good for region free- something that GOD dodges) or something similar to remove media flags or do it 360 side.

*I am still exploring games with DVDs although I will say I managed to get some stuff booting from single layer and with your standard ISO9660+UDF. Naturally my DVD drive is also hacked.

3) Manual launch via file menu- myself I usually leave this to applications I would rather not have launched unless truly necessary (flash360 and the like) or that require it for some reason.

3. JohnLoco
    OP

Yugoslavia
    So to use my ISOs as a GOD game, i need to convert them before i export them to the HDD with the program to the partion3?

4. DarkCrudus

Member DarkCrudus The Ghost

United States
    wowss my brain hurts. lol i was gonna post something along the lines of this cuz i plan to get a jtag box, i just dont know what to do with one. like how to install all this freestyle dash n what not or like how to run unsigned code, i hear you can play games from an hdd, can that just be from and external hdd? can dlc/arcade be played from an external?

5. JohnLoco
    OP

Yugoslavia
    Yes, you can. The thing is to know HOW to do it though.

6. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    If they are not installed as an NXE install then yes you need to convert them, it is nothing major and will using be limited by the speed of your PC hard drive. You then FTP or otherwise transfer them to the main 360 hard drive, I am not overly familiar with the nuances of external hard drives and GOD games.

@DarkCrudus
    Unsigned code is taken care of by xell/xellous but the real fun comes with rebooters like xbr and freeboot (if you buy one of these in they will almost certainly have a rebooter installed) which do things like allow out of region, unsigned games and much more.

freestyle dash is homebrew code, you can run it however you want to run homebrew code.
    That is from USB first launching with xexmenu (how I was playing with it while writing the previous post)
    Via a shortcut from the NXE dash (copy to the code9999)
    As a replacement dash of sorts- you can do a "full" replacement (it will still fall back to NXE) or you can do a "when I have a USB drive plugged in" install with dashlaunch.

freestyle dash is one of the methods you can use to run games from external or internal HDD and if you really wanted you could use external methods on the internal HDD (make a GAMES folder on the root of partition 3 and run it from there). XBLA from USB is similar- you need to pull apart the file (a pirs file) to get at the goodies inside (wxpirs works but I use le fluffie http://skunkiebutt.com/?page_id=362 (just the "download app" is needed for most of us) for all my 360 editing needs at present, it is overkill for this though)- from there you launch it however you want as it is just a XEX file. DLC is original hard drive only as far as I am aware (something may have changed with the freeboot update and I am sure you could hack something if you had loads of time).

In my haste yesterday while I mentioned most of the big applications for the 360 I forgot to mention one of the most important- xm360, it does a fair bit more now but it has XBLA unlocking ability and management features (what you are missing in DLC and XBLA)

7. JohnLoco
    OP

Yugoslavia

8. DarkCrudus

Member DarkCrudus The Ghost

United States
    If there is a way I can get everything to be able to boot from an external that would be grand. just cuz i really dont wanna buy an hdd for teh box. though ive read somethin bout ppl using 640gb hdd or somethin like that how does that work? in any case, i will get an hdd if i really have to but i would prefer not to.

9. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    With a rebooter you can use any sata drive although you might have to fiddle with power if you go for a normal size drive rather than a laptop one, with a stock console you are limited to a few given models and the official drives.

You can stick it into a case like http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25939 if throwing wires around is not your idea of fun.

You can boot various things in various manners but in the end I would at least get a 20 gig drive or something.