Hacking Joyflow a mod of wiiflow

paulstevens

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay ignorance alert here. I have read this entire thread with interest and detail, but I still am confused about wbfs.

I presently use WiiFlow on real nand with a wbfs formatted usb drive (small fat32 partition as well for covers, etc) but the games are on the wbfs partition. So, everything is on the WBFS partition in whatever file TYPE the games are stored in on that partition. That said:

Is there a file TYPE wbfs? I understand the wbfs PARTITION but am confused of the discussion in this thread and elsewhere if there is a wbfs file TYPE.

This talk of wbfs support for JoyFlow, if it happens, will it be for the wbfs PARTITION, or will it be for files of type wbfs?

What I would like to do is use my existing wiiflow setup with as little change as possible and get it running in joyflow/uneek+di. I suppose I could use modmii to convert what is on my wbfs PARTITION and copy them into the discex format, but as one poster said, that is not my idea of a fun saturday afternoon. Setting up the directory paths and such is no big deal, but converting from one filetype to another could be a drag. At least there is a batch function to do it.

Thanks for any help or clarification, and thanks for the awesome work and support!

scooby74029

wanttabe dev
OP
Trophies
Website
www.wiithemer.org
XP
Country
United States
@paul
yes there is a file format called .wbfs

thats how i save all my games on my computer it only saves the game partion so i dont have to have the 4.37 gig .iso file taking up all my hd space

overjoy and i are working on a new di to play game from this kind of file so people wont have to use discex or modmii to change games

Posts merged

@paul could you send me the link to save game installer?

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone is having trouble setting up Priiloader in emu-nand like installing file or enabling hacks here is a Priiloader Channel = Priiloader - DFPL & topic = Animated Forwarders: Black Edition, Dark Forwarders That Go Nice With The Dark Wii Theme.

I can confirm this should not freeze up in Priiloader for @least 5-8mins. I did at one point leave Priiloader running for an extended amount of time and when I came back it was frozen however every other time when accessing Priiloader via Priiloader - DFPL channel I was able to install a file & change hacks accordingly w/in the 5-8min time frame.

I have tried accesing Priiloader via MMM but you will have the 10sec time limit as if manually accessing it on system boot.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
kylster said:
If anyone is having trouble setting up Priiloader in emu-nand like installing file or enabling hacks here is a Priiloader Channel = Priiloader - DFPL & topic = Animated Forwarders: Black Edition, Dark Forwarders That Go Nice With The Dark Wii Theme.
Hmm...sorry to say this, but your links are messed up somehow. A bit of cutting out a bit made it work, though:
click me to download the priiloader channel
link to the topic

And I'm not sure if I understand the rest of your post. I have priiloader v0.4 installed on my emu-nand (which has the black wii theme). If I run it (holding the reset button while the SD-card with the UNEEK+DI stuff on it is in the front sd slot), it won't crash, but I have to navigate to the submenu's fast or they just show a blank screen instead of the options therein. The crashing of priiloader happened with later versions (version 0.6 and maybe 0.5...haven't checked the new 0.7). Are you saying that by installing a newer version and then running it through this channel won't freeze up priiloader almost instantly?

EDIT: @paulstevens...sorry, but changing from a WBFS-partition to a FAT32 partition will take quite a while (backing up & converting all the games isn't done in a flash, and then you still have to restore them once the drive is formatted). Setting up uneek+di isn't necessarily a long process, but it probably will be if it doesn't work right away.
The only plus side is that you can indeed copy-paste the settings from wiiflow into joyflow. It will contain some useless data (joyflow doesn't need the stored settings for cIOS), but that won't matter.

grnorris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your problem isn't with USB 3.0 it's with encryption. Using any drive on a Wii is like using them on my old high school computers, if it doesn't work on the built in drivers (those that came with the OS) then it doesn't work period. Almost (if not all) encrypted drives have to install their own drivers to work. You probably could find another case for the WD hard drive you bought and so long as it doesn't require anything to fancy you could use it on the Wii.

I see no point in using a drive with extra and unusable features on the Wii anyway. I just dedicated my Old 1TB drive to my Wii (also Western Digital) and use my newer 2TB drive for everything. I will note though that the casing my WD drives is crap and the warranty doesn't cover physical damage (which if the case breaks it's physical) so they aren't the best in that aspect but, the drives themselves are of the best quality. I ended up having to by a new case for my 2TB (which really pisses me off because it means I spent an extra 10 USD on an extended warranty that doesn't mean shit and I paid 30 USD to fix something that shouldn't be broken yet).

Note: Both my WD drives are My Book (essential's I believe). The older 1TB still uses it's original case (which is fine since it doesn't move around a lot) and the newer one (I bought a year later) is now using an Acromdata (SP?) aluminum case (not the most expensive version but it appears to have full USB 2.0 speeds).
Explanation: The more expensive version of the case explicitly said USB 2.0 high speed but the specs for this case are the same as high speed (full speed operates at 1.1 speeds).

obcd said:
Yes, I had issues with usb 3.0 harddisks.

I bought a Western Digital Passport 320GB which was suposed to be Wii compatible. I didn't expect any issues as USB 3.0 should be compatible with 2.0 and even 1.1. Even on a pc, the harddisk doesn't come up as a normal usb memory device and tries to install a driver every time. It has to do something with the buildin encryption requiring a password to access the drive. Even if you don't use that and disable it, it keeps asking for a driver upon connection.

I finally ended up buying some cheap 2.5" inch usb harddisk cases, and installing a laptop drive into them. They don't have fancy features like auto spindown which causes problems on the Wii... If things don't work as expected, you still can use the harddisk for other purposes.

The Western Digital worked with some programs, and not with others.
It also didn't work every time....
It's a piece of junk. (I know it's a 4 letter word...)
If you go to the WD forum, you see a lot of people complaining about the fact that you can't use it as a simple usb storage device. Another annoying thing is the cable that is very thick and stiff due to the extra wires in it.

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Wever Yes, Priiloader will not instantly freeze like it usually does when pushing power button and holding reset. Sorry for the confusion & thanks for the fixed links
smile.gif
i could post a video showing it works so people can see but i do not know how to embed it into my post if someone could be helpful with this
smile.gif

zizer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kylster said:

I can confirm this should not freeze up in Priiloader for @least 5-8mins. I did at one point leave Priiloader running for an extended amount of time and when I came back it was frozen however every other time when accessing Priiloader via Priiloader - DFPL channel I was able to install a file & change hacks accordingly w/in the 5-8min time frame.

I have tried accesing Priiloader via MMM but you will have the 10sec time limit as if manually accessing it on system boot.

I have freezes when i enabling hacks ...

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
kylster said:
@Wever Yes, Priiloader will not instantly freeze like it usually does when pushing power button and holding reset. Sorry for the confusion & thanks for the fixed links
smile.gif
i could post a video showing it works so people can see but i do not know how to embed it into my post if someone could be helpful with this
smile.gif

kylster, I've gotten some more ppl to look into this and have determined a few other things.

1) The above method only works on wii's with bootmii@boot2. Wii's without bootmii@boot2 will just launch the priiloader that is installed on the real nand (not the emu nand). I have an idea of getting around this though, I'm not 100% sure if it will work yet, but I think if while in real nand, if u were to have all the folders set up to launch uneek, then launch an unreleased app that sets the magicword (ie. what the priiloader shortcut channel does) then reloads IOS254 (ie. launching uneek), one should be able to launch emu nand priiloader with the magicword while bypassing the real nand priiloader.

2) There is another method of accessing emu nand priiloader without the 10 second time limit. Go into emu nand priiloader using the reset method, and quickly change the "return to" setting to priiloader. Then launch the emu nand system menu, hit home, then select the Wii Menu. It should take u to emu nand priiloader and priiloader shouldn't freeze after 10 seconds. So far I have had one person confirm this method works.

PS. To embed youtube videos into your posts, copy what comes after the equal sign in the youtube URL (ie. youtube.com/watch?v=d_dCXvNxfQc) im between youtube tags. Here's an example
CODE[youtube]d_dCXvNxfQc[/youtube]
[youtube]d_dCXvNxfQc[/youtube]

scooby74029

wanttabe dev
OP
Trophies
Website
www.wiithemer.org
XP
Country
United States
i can say that i have the modmii version of priiloader on my emunand and i dont have to do anything about it freezing i can set any hacks and save and go back to main menu mine never freezes on me

not using a channel here
just holding the reset button to get to priiloader

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Using ModMii to set up uneek w/ priiloader I get the 10 second time limit; however, setting up sneek w/ priiloader I do not have a time limit.

I'm guessing that faster devices won't experience the problem, and slower ones will. This is prolly due to the fact that priiloader was designed to run on real nand, which is very fast. And an elite dev has told me that priiloader doesn't wait for commands to be executed, instead it runs on the assumption that they are executed instantly (or close to it). I'm guessing that this insight coupled with a relatively slow emulated nand could be the cause of the problem we're seeing here.

hmmm... IIRC, I remember daco adding in a timer to priiloader, that if no buttons were pressed within X seconds (X=10??) then priiloader would launch the system menu allowing users to sync the wiimotes. I don't know if this ever got included in an official build, but it's the only thing I can think of that would trigger an event after 10 seconds. For the record, this is all speculation.

Can anyone who is experiencing the 10 second time limit on emu-nand priiloader please confirm that method #2 from my post above bypasses the problem? Thx!

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
XFlak said:
2) There is another method of accessing emu nand priiloader without the 10 second time limit. Go into emu nand priiloader using the reset method, and quickly change the "return to" setting to priiloader. Then launch the emu nand system menu, hit home, then select the Wii Menu. It should take u to emu nand priiloader and priiloader shouldn't freeze after 10 seconds. So far I have had one person confirm this method works.
I can also confirm that this method works (now using priiloader 0.7 on this emu-nand).

I wish I could say more for other things, though. If the 'return to' is at any other setting, it freezes.
Using the channel also works...from the menu. When running that channel through joyflow: another freeze.
tongue.gif

(EDIT: wait...skip that: it seems to work fine, now. ironically, it froze with the return to to 'priiloader', and worked fine with return to 'autoboot' (which is set to the joyflow forwarder).)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
XFlak said:
I'm confused cuz ur contradicting yourself a little bit. First u say it worked, then u say "it froze with the return to to 'priiloader'"... so which is it?

thx for looking into this
biggrin.gif
I'm not contradicting myself, but I admit it's not that easy to explain. Let's see...

(the following is + = )

1. going to priiloader from the system menu through pressing home + 'return to: priiloader' = works
2. going to priiloader from the system menu through priiloader magic word + 'return to: installed file' = freezes up after some seconds
3. going to priiloader from the system menu through channel + 'return to: priiloader' = works
4. going to priiloader from the system menu through channel + 'return to: installed file' = freezes up after some seconds
5. going to priiloader from joyflow through the channel + 'return to: priiloader' = freezes up after some seconds
6. going to priiloader from joyflow through the channel + 'return to: installed file' = works

grnorris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've still not had the chance to test JoyFlow but for PriiLoader I had it working in Uneek+DI before updating to sys menu 4.3. I had PriiLoader installed on my Real NAND when I made my backup so naturally it copied to my Uneek NAND. To get into it I simply waited a second after starting in emulated mode then held reset to get into PriiLoaders menu. I used hacks but no loading (it went to sys menu). At least in my experience so long as you wait a second for the emulation to start it will work. PriiLoader does seem to override Uneek in start order so just holding reset in the beginning will go to Real NAND's PriiLoader. Note also that when I updated to Sys Menu 4.3 (I used a WAD from ModMii) I lost PriiLoader (which makes sense since PriiLoader is apparently situated where the sys menu goes).

For those wondering why I updated sys menu: I wanted to make sure I had the latest IOS's and such and to my knowledge updating the menu guarantees getting all the IOS's to that point.

If I can get another program to enable the save hack then I won't even bother with PriiLoader (I don't care about moving the disk channel or getting rid of the music (there's a mute button for that) so removing the copy protect is the only reason I ever installed it).

drmarvin

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not sure if it works, but I know that the most current Multi Mod Manager has a section for priiloader hacks. Maybe you can activate the hack without using priiloader directly. I haven't tried it, but it's an idea.

Cheers.

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So essentially its not looking in the same place for hacks.ini when in real nand & emu-nand while your in MultiModManager? Ill try it out but what do i need to rename the hacks.ini to?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1