Hardware Joycon RCM 10k resistor mod and 6.1.0 FW update

Loc-Nar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've encountered something strange, ive done a bunch of searching but could not find any answers. I thought I'd reach out to the community to see if anyone else has experienced this same or similar issue.

I have 3 sets of joycons, all have been modified with a 10k smd resistor soldered in between pins 7 & 10 on the right side joycon. All these joycons are tested 100% functional.
I have 2 switches, both are exploitable and running custom firmware (hakate 4.2/atmosphere 0.7.2)
The first switch is on firmware 6.0.1 and boots into RCM just fine with all 3 sets of modded joycons.
The second switch belongs to my brother, it is currently on the latest firmware 6.1.0 and it will NOT boot into RCM with any of the 3 modified joycons. I can only get his switch to boot into RCM with a jig.
I have successfully rolled back his firmware with ChoidujourNX to FW 6.0.1 and it still does NOT boot into RCM with any of the modified joycons. (it will still boot with a RCM jig on 6.0.1)

if anyone else has experienced anything like this please let me know, any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Loc-Nar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Kubas_inko, I had just discovered his post right after i made my post and before you replied with the link. I've verified All joycons have been updated and paired, and it still wont boot into RCM with the modded joycon.

oldmumak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have 2 switches both modded with resistors, both on SX OS 2.2.1. One joy-con's color was even changed with Joy-Con Toolkit. I updated both switch's to 6.1.0. with choidujournx. I then updated all joycons. Everything is working great. If you use SX OS, delete the hekate.ini file choidujournx writes to the SD root. Hope you find the problem, let us know.

Last edited by oldmumak,

Loc-Nar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the confirmation oldmumak, i just reloaded another sd card with a fresh build for 6.0.1 FW and the results were the same, still no RCM with any of the modded joycons. so it seems likely that it is either his console or something the 6.1.0 update did upon the initial install. ill be sure to post any findings here.

lufeig

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
is modifying the joy cons with a tactile micro switch a possibility?

I did that instead of using a 10k resistor, my joy cons are updated and I have never had any problem

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
id just go autorcm compared to that headache. seriously, not trying to derail but why even bother with jigs? i modded one joycon (just bridged the two pins) but a new update caused them to bug out, so i un-modded it. attempted to add 10k resistor, fried the joycon, then revived it.

autorcm since and it works great.

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic

I did that instead of using a 10k resistor, my joy cons are updated and I have never had any problem
I have done it with a "normal switch" under the remove button.
aT_IxuxCXKaXl7-Zz6E4tMcEkuJHb2IvQtwS8EEbNJX5lhdXgdK6f_HS2haiQY_JpEqb0e3LfEJfzPDBW1QBkCXD_i79uZopsTLf.png
Also with a "micro switch" on the top of the rail.
20180426_214351.png

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Agreed.

However, (I have tested this in a joycon motherboard and it works) you can use a SAMD21 (bare, as I don`t think a trinket will fit in it...) and do a button combo to short pin 10 to GND.

I think I posted it here. May not have done, can`t remember. But it is excessively complicated for the simple thing we are trying to accomplish.

The 10k resistor will be very hit or miss I reckon on different joycons...

Paffo

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
On my right joycon i've the reed switch mod and its booting RCM just fine with latest firmware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs