Joycon (L) Date-Of-Manufacture Dials and Other Numbers

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by fiveighteen, Mar 27, 2017.

1. fiveighteen
    OP

fiveighteen High Hopes and Low Expectations

Jun 30, 2008
    United States
    This thread is for those that want to compare Joycon (L)'s and see if there is a trend in which are affected with issues where the left joycon desyncs or makes Link run off the edge of a cliff (general Nintendo problem/solution cases here). I got curious after reading this CNET article.

There are 4 tri-wing screws that need to be removed from the back in order to access the date-of-manufacture dials and battery product number. Tri-wing screwdrivers are pretty cheap, and the screws have been used on parts of almost every console for years (GBA, GC, Wii, WiiU, Switch, etc), so it's not bad to keep in the toolbox. :)

From there, there's a little adhesive on the battery tray (under the battery), but I was able to pull the battery up by going slow and gradually applying more force with a flathead screwdriver. There are 3 phillips screws to remove to see the circuit board: two under the battery (top-left and bottom-right screws, the other 2 hold the circuit board down and can be skipped) and one at the bottom left of the controller.

Maybe if enough people want to contribute, we can start a spreadsheet.

I have 2 Joycon-L's, and I'm guessing they were made in different factories by the differences that are in the dials alone. It's odd to me that there are varying battery product numbers though. I have pictures of most things if anyone wants them.

Any ideas on the bottom dials, or any other numbers that I don't currently have labeled?

CNET Joycon-L #1: has desync issue
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    CNET Joycon-L #2: no issue
    My Joycon-L #1: has desync issue
    My Joycon-L #2: no issue

Last edited by fiveighteen, Mar 27, 2017
  2. slingblade1170

slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    I have no issues. If I can find my triwing set I'll get this numbers.

3. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Wouldnt it be far easier to sort by serial number so we can narrow it down from batches within those numbers?

4. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Bottom left and right seem to indicate day, each being the individual digit that combine to give 06, as in 12/06/16

fiveighteen likes this.
  5. fiveighteen
    OP

fiveighteen High Hopes and Low Expectations

Jun 30, 2008
    United States
    Where are the serial numbers for the Joycons? I only see a serial number on the battery itself.

6. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    On the baggies they came in or in system setting serial information

7. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States