Journey is headed to PC through Epic Games' new storefront

journey-listing-thumb-01-ps4-us-11aug14.png

Originally released to major critical acclaim in 2012 as an exclusive for the PlayStation 3, Journey will soon be making its way to the PC platform. Epic Games will help assist in porting developer thatgamecompany's title to PC, and presumably it will be an exclusive to the newly launched Epic Games Store. A listing for the game is currently live, noting that the game will be available sometime soon. Journey is a short puzzle-platforming game, with a musical soundtrack that made video gaming history for becoming the first game to receive a Grammy nomination for best score.

:arrow: Source

Ryuzaki_MrL

Green Thunder
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I learned about this game by watching one of Design Doc's video on UI design, and thought to myself if there was ever going to be a PC port. Epic Games' storefront wasn't what I had in mind tho...

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Been meaning to play this for ages now, lost my chance to a PS3 right before I was about to play this, so good to know it's getting a port finally. If only it wasn't exclusive to one store though, or at least let's hope they don't force the DRM or something, I want to avoid yet another digital game store (Steam and GOG are plenty, don't want to have 50 accounts on different stores with different DRMs)...

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If they happen to help port some yet console exclusives to their store, they might go somewhere.

But still, they need way more games there.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

This was also released on PS4 so not necessarily a PS3 exclusive but a "PlayStation Console Exclusive" of sorts. Sucks that it's another god damn launcher on PC but hey, more games so can't complain about that.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
funny how people above seem to enjoy "exclusive in this shop" titles
i say fuck that and that is a great reason to pirate. i don't wanna have the hassle of scattered purchases in different places, its already bullshit having my game library in the different places that exist..
i have a library so big i am starting to forget where i purchased some games and need to search in all the stores to find my games

having exclusivity in a specific game console or system platform, yes i am totally ok and i even like that. consoles are usually really different of each other, they have custom hardware and i see it is always welcome to give stuff to developers to try what they can do with that system. plus, ports in most of the cases are crap.
however, for exclusivity in a virtual game shop.. no...

but at the same time i think its time to steam be shaken and start working in giving a better user experience.
there is stuff with the steam client that was never improved and was left at a primitive state.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
funny how people above seem to enjoy "exclusive in this shop" titles
i say fuck that and that is a great reason to pirate. i don't wanna have the hassle of scattered purchases in different places, its already bullshit having my game library in the different places that exist..
i have a library so big i am starting to forget where i purchased some games and need to search in all the stores to find my games

having exclusivity in a specific game console or system platform, yes i am totally ok and i even like that. consoles are usually really different of each other, they have custom hardware and i see it is always welcome to give stuff to developers to try what they can do with that system. plus, ports in most of the cases are crap.
however, for exclusivity in a virtual game shop.. no...

but at the same time i think its time to steam be shaken and start working in giving a better user experience.
there is stuff with the steam client that was never improved and was left at a primitive state.

Simple solution there.
Poke this game library thing entirely. It is not needed and tying it to a single company is not a good plan. We managed just fine for decades before it was cooked up, and failing that you could always use a common service like email to keep track of things.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Unless you are a hoarder, there's no need to have that many accounts on all storefronts that exist.
2/3 should suffice, for a "normal" gamer.

Also, some services offer up a oAuth login, so it's a bit simplified.

But let's see:
Origin
Uplay
GoG
Steam

Are the biggest players. I have a library of varying sizes in each, and don't have any trouble dealing with them. But that's probably just me. I like purchasing a game with a discount in other places when X tells me the game is full priced.

Another client to install? Sure, that can be a nuisance. Easiest way to deal with them: Prevent autostart when starting the OS.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Huh? :blink:

Okay, this is...unexpected. I thought that epic's store would be more or less exclusive to games and assets* using the unreal engine. This...certainly isn't a move I anticipated (I wikipedia't: journey uses PhyreEngine).

It's pretty bittersweet news for me, but not in the way you might think. Yes, it fragments my library even more (I already have paid for games on steam, gog, uplay and android store...and now this), and yes I want to play journey (but not enough to buy a console for it). But the fragmentation is okay-ish. I mean: I have had an epic account since UT4 went pre-alpha...or even for over 10 years**.

But I switched to linux pretty much after steam released proton, and damnit...they better have either a linux client or non-restrictive DRM on the game, or I'll pass on it. :angry:

*which could play a rather big role in, say, fortnite. I've got a strong suspicion (and semi-legit sources) that epic wants creators to build things for their games and be able to sell it. So those who think they can create fortnite skins so awesome that people will pay for it will have that chance
**I might be mistaken, but I think I didn't even had to create

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I wanted to get into this game so badly but I never succeeded.><

Is a game meant to be played online with another player, otherwise it gets boring as hell. Hence why I didn't get it, my online connection sucked back then.

And the PS3 Network is being deprecated next year. Even if my current Internet connection is decent, not gonna get a PS4, already got a Nintendo Switch.

radicalwookie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is a game meant to be played online with another player, otherwise it gets boring as hell. Hence why I didn't get it, my online connection sucked back then.

And the PS3 Network is being deprecated next year. Even if my current Internet connection is decent, not gonna get a PS4, already got a Nintendo Switch.
Oh...that i didnt know. I played it offline on ps3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night