gokujr1000

OP
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
jokercreatorjerryrobins.jpg

Equally notable for his part in creating one of those most beloved villains in the history of superhero comics, the Joker, and for his work advocating the rights and recognition of comic book creators, Jerry Robinson was a man held in the utmost regard by his peers. He passed away in his sleep last night at the age of 89.

Entering comics in 1939 as an inker, Robinson would later go on to create the Joker (though Batman co-creator Bob Kane never credited him for his creation) and later, his comic strips "Flubs and Fluffs" and "Still Life."

In the 1970s, Robinson fought to get creators recognition for their work in comics, memorably creating a campaign surrounding Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman, resulting in the reinstatement of the creators' names in all Superman-related comics and adaptations.

Michael Uslan, producer of the Batman movie franchise, told the NY Daily News. "He fought to bring respectability to the artists and writers who created the comics and who had long been ignored by society."

DC Comics has already issued some statements from its team. "Jerry Robinson illustrated some of the defining images of pop culture's greatest icons," said Jim Lee, DC Comics co-Publisher. "As an artist myself, it's impossible not to feel humbled by his body of work. Everyone who loves comics owes Jerry a debt of gratitude for the rich legacy that he leaves behind."

"Jerry Robinson was one of the greats. He continued to be a vibrant, creative force well into his nineties, with ideas and thoughts that continue to inspire," added Lee's cohort, Dan Didio. "Jerry was a great advocate for creators. It was my pleasure to meet and work with him. He will be missed."

"It's impossible to work at DC Entertainment without feeling the impact of Jerry Robinson's contributions to the industry. His influence continues to resonate today," said Bob Harras, DC Comics' Editor-in-Chief.

"Jerry Robinson was an innovator, a pioneer in storytelling. His artwork was always astonishing, but his contributions to the Dark Knight mythology go far beyond art," added Batman editor Mike Marts. "The streets of Gotham City are a little lonelier today... Jerry will truly be missed."

The Joker placed #2 on IGN's Top 100 Comic Book Villain's list, and we know he's a favorite of our readers. Please sound off in the comments below with any favorite Joker moments or special memories of meeting Jerry Robinson at a convention.

icon11.gif
Source

^I know it's a wall of Text but I decided to Copy the whole Article just so people can see how much of a Loss any DC Comic Lover has suffered.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As well as The Joker, he was also key to creating Two Face, Robin (who when done right can be a great character) and was quite fundamental to how the comic looked. For me he should be credited on anything related to Batman as The Joker made Batman what he became.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aww, Joker was one of my favorite villains, I was actually looking at the "Killing Joke", a certain part with the Joker in fact, it was amazing, sad to see the creator go.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a shame, but at least he lived a long and fruitful life. The entire comic book industry certainly owes him a lot.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Joker is my fave villain... =(
He's so wacko and awesome... He's my villain char's mentor on DCU Online. T_T

Well, without Joker, Batman wouldn't be one of my fave super heros from comic books. =S

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat