John Romero and Adrian Carmack reunite for new FPS Blackroom

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Prans
    OP

Prans Geek, gamer, human

pip Reporter
    Apr 22, 2012
    There itself.
    photo-original.png
    The creators of id Software and some of gaming's most iconic games are back with a new Kickstarter campaign with a goal of $700,000. Once the goal is reached, development will start immediately and the developers will secure the remaining funds with investors. The game is scheduled for a PC and Mac release in winter 2018.

The Kickstarter campaign describes Blackroom as "a visceral, varied and violent shooter that harkens back to classic FPS play with a mixture of exploration, speed, and intense, weaponized combat. Use fast, skillful movement to dodge enemy attacks, circle-strafe your foes, and rule the air as you rocket jump in the single- and multiplayer modes. BLACKROOM launches with unique multiplayer maps and robust modding support for the community to make diabolical creations of their own design."

:arrow: SOURCE

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I'm getting very distinct Daikatana shivers down my spine. Can we trust Carmack Romero not to blow this one too?

EDIT: Joke altered for improved funnies.

Vappy and Prans like this.
  3. Prans
    OP

Prans Geek, gamer, human

pip Reporter
    Apr 22, 2012
    There itself.
    Ah! Well, it remains to be seen! Romero uses some self-praise in the KS campaign video to promote the game. Hope he lives up to those expectations!

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Romero was the mind behind Daikatana to begin with - it's called John Romero's Daikatana. :P We'll see though, we'll see.

Prans likes this.
  5. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Just concept art and a dream at the moment.. A little leery about it myself.

6. Steena

Steena GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 13, 2009
    Italy
    I mean you have the creator of daikatana using the platform that's been exploited for the most disappointing videogame releases of recent times, that sure has the potential to be an explosive combination

7. TVL

TVL #|

Feb 17, 2004
    World -1
    I'm not backing it, but I hope it gets funded. Should have brought Tom Hall back too... and why not John Carmack. :D

8. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    [​IMG]

mironicurse and Jayro like this.
  9. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I just realized that the project involves Adrian and not John, which removes a certain degree of "funny" from my joke. Still, Romero is in full effect, so there's still a chance that this will either be the best thing since sliced bread or the worst thing since haggies.

10. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Wow, almost a million.
    That goal is more ambitious than a pretentious forgotten rock star... Oh wait... John Romero.

11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    To be fair, it goes in line with current trends - think back to Shenmue 3, Broken Sword 5 or Wasteland 2 projects. There's potential here, and chances are that the Kickstarter is supposed to gin up publicity more than anything else. What I don't like is that there's no existing alpha. It's hard to back a project that exists only on paper - at least games like Shroud of the Avatar or Star Citizen actually exist in some capacity, so it's easier to build backer confidence.

12. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero GBAtemp Regular

Dec 16, 2014
    United States
    It says they made iconic games yet list none thats seems poor in design.

13. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    I think that $700k and 2,5 year dev time is kinda small for a 10H long campaign, with Co-op & separate multiplayer.
    I mean Inafune got nearly 4 Million and still struggles to release a bloody 2D platformer.

ov3rkill likes this.
  14. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    Who's Adrian Carmack?

15. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Maniac

May 10, 2009
    Australia
    in a cardboard box
    They should've just jump in the bandwagon of mobile games. Maybe they could pull that off. haha.

16. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Doom, Quake and Wolfenstein are pretty iconic.

17. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I don't know if that is sarcasm.

I was thinking it was weird to ask what relevant work they made when these people are almost The Beatles of videogames... But who knows, perhaps the question is legit, and TBH it wouldn't make the campaign any bad if they stated the (perhaps) obvious.

Last edited by sarkwalvein, Apr 26, 2016
  18. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
  19. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Awesome! Hopefully will be fun.

Though I disapprove of their not using the Oxford comma and using it, both in the same paragraph. Sloppy, sloppy.

What's that? No one cares about that except for me? Whatevs, Oxford fo' life!

20. mario5555

mario5555 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2012
    United States
    This is John Romero's 3rd KS he has been involved in directly or indirectly, in about as many years. He'll never live down the "make you his bitch" thing. I actually don't know why he bothers anymore since he honestly hasn't put out anything worthwhile since the Ion Storm days. And that is most notably Anachronox (which Tom Hall directed) and he gave Warren Spector a place to create Deus Ex.

I won't be supporting it, it looks like a cool project, but he really needs to make some smaller games prove himself again then try for loftier games like this. Otherwise people will never forgive him for something he did almost 20 years ago.