• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Joe Biden Wins - Becomes 46th president of the United States

• Thread starter yusuo
  • Start date
  • Views 434,309
  • Replies 7,444
  • Likes 45
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm not sure I can get onboard with the idea of an actor that opposes gay marriage. It would be a terrible profession for someone anti gay.
Merely an example that better illustrates the issue at hand. The "protected" part here is the actor's right not to perform a service that expresses an idea that he disagrees with. The actor is entitled to reject such an offer, no matter who asks, and forcing him to perform would indeed be compelled speech, regardless of whether he endorses gay marriage or not. In fact, let's say that he does, but doesn't want to star in that movie because it goes against his image. You don't know why he refuses. What you do know is that he doesn't want to express the message you are tasking him with. He might agree to a different role, but he doesn't want this one, for whatever reason.
Actors play parts, they love playing parts that are very different from their own views.
This one doesn't, so you're in a pickle, director. Are you going to find another actor or are you going to court, because this diversion has gone long enough.

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
You think the opposite of hate is a lifeless planet?
A world without hate is something I´d expect to come from a 5-year-old (or a cheesy Christmas song).
There will always be hate. It is also human nature. Albert and Dan want Sophia. Sophia decides to be with Dan. Albert hates Dan and/or Sophia.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is also human nature. Albert and Dan want Sophia. Sophia decides to be with Dan. Albert hates Dan and/or Sophia.

Only if you teach a sense of entitlement. It's poor teaching that makes people hate.

Whether it's from the people that created the religion that you believe, or your parents.

But it can stop. With proper teaching then you don't need to hate someone just because they chose to be with someone else. Or because they want to be with someone from the same gender or a different race.

Last edited by smf,

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Only if you teach a sense of entitlement. It's poor teaching that makes people hate.

Whether it's from the people that created the religion that you believe, or your parents.

But it can stop.

I don´t believe (if the "you" was specific). You are wrong: Children hate each other (even if they are taught nothing and not raised by anyone). It´s based on limited resources. Two children: one toy - hate. It´s not even just human nature but part of life itself. Chimpanzees wage wars (https://www.theatlantic.com/technol...are-explain-our-sense-of-good-and-evil/58643/) and compete for females to the death (https://www.newscientist.com/articl...der-and-then-cannibalise-their-former-tyrant/)
One way to overcome hate between two parties is to make them hate others. Isn´t it remarkable that the US can only be kept together by bombing half the world and always evoking Americans as being something special? Isn´t that hate? Why don´t you do something about it? I hope you at least don´t vote for either of the war parties.

Last edited by UltraDolphinRevolution,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Two children: one toy - hate.

It depends on how they are taught, it seems you've been taught to hate.

Chimpanzees wage wars

You don't think we should aim higher than wild animals?

Isn´t it remarkable that the US can only be kept together by bombing half the world

I don't know if that is true that it's the only way.

Why don´t you do something about it?

I thought I was, what do you suggest?

Last edited by smf,

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
What are you doing against the gravest expression of hate: constant wars.
Forcing people to bake cakes?
I haven´t been taught to hate. In fact I don´t hate you, nor gays, BLM protesters or Trump´s minions. It´s just a funny spectacle to behold. At least let us have some fun watching the becon of humanity f*ck up in such an "amazin´" way (your country owes the world too many apologies anyways... and yes, UK, USA is the same thing).

Last edited by UltraDolphinRevolution,
D

Deleted User

Everything. The world would be a much better place without hate.
"Hate" comes in different forms and doesn't have to be necessarily a bad thing.

Would you say hating a dictator is a bad thing? Is hating tyranny bad? Is hating to live in lockdown bad? No, to all.

Anyway, Trump's Twitter account was permanently banned so despite hating that PoS social media and feel irrelevant about Trump, it shows what power tech giants have. Twitter for some reason won't ban the CP accounts on there who are proud of it, but Trump? Oh yeah, of course.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hate and Love are two sides of passion. You can't bar one and keep the other. If you love something, then you will hate whatever threatens it.

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hate and Love are two sides of passion. You can't bar one and keep the other. If you love something, then you will hate whatever threatens it.
Alright, I love equality and acceptance. By extension, I absolutely hate discrimination and bigotry. So yeah, I'm perfectly fine with Twitter shutting down a fountain of hate speech and misinformation as well as a bakery not being able to refuse service based on personal bigotry.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Woah, woah, woah.

I think a lot of people talking about Masterpiece Cakeshop are really missing the point that case made. It wasn't a landmark case and isn't as broad as many of you are making it out to be.

Basically, the cakeshop didn't want to make the custom cake for that couple and then the Colorado Civil Rights Commission fined them for being discriminatory. But what the Supreme Court found (in a 7-2 decision) was only that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission violated the first amendment by not remaining religiously neutral when making its decision.

Neither the opinion of the court nor the concurrences definitively addressed the issue of whether Masterpiece Cakeshop violated the Constitution. Just that the Civil Rights Commission did in punishing them.

I briefly studied this case in Constitutional Law II in law school. I say briefly because it was not as broad as people make it out to be.

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is this also worthy of a ban? I'd love to know what rules this tweet broke. "BuT tWaTtEr Is A PrIvAtE cOmPaNy"

I can't wait to see where this ends, all you're doing is pushing those on the fringe right, the middle and even some common sense lefties towards the mainstream, this will blow up in your face eventually. Enjoy your echo chambers.

unnamed.jpg

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this also worthy of a ban? I'd love to know what rules this tweet broke. "BuT tWaTtEr Is A PrIvAtE cOmPaNy"

I can't wait to see where this ends, all you're doing is pushing those on the fringe right, the middle and even some common sense lefties towards the mainstream, this will blow up in your face eventually. Enjoy your echo chambers.

View attachment 241167
Twitter provided a more than sufficient reason for the lock. It's not a ban.

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Twitter provided a more than sufficient reason for the lock. It's not a ban.

They dont need to provide any reason. That's the point, the capital isn't washington its Silicon Valley, they control everything you see online, all the (mis)information. But again, he broke no rules. This is just liberal companies doing whatever they want, of course you don't have a problem with it because you agree with those dictators.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Obviously that's not what's happening here. Only ones pushing anyone away are Trumpers, pushing more and more and more people to the left day by day by day. Dems won presidency, house, and senate. In case you forgot.

Last edited by D34DL1N3R,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They dont need to provide any reason. That's the point, the capital isn't washington its Silicon Valley, they control everything you see online, all the (mis)information. But again, he broke no rules. This is just liberal companies doing whatever they want, of course you don't have a problem with it because you agree with those dictators.
Twitter provided the rule that was broken.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
I predict that the most recent couple of posts are going to be removed before long. You both might want to calm down.

Twitter provided the rule that was broken.
Exactly. And yet, this doesn't stop people from saying it's arbitrary and that Trump is being personally targeted.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Woah, woah, woah.

I think a lot of people talking about Masterpiece Cakeshop are really missing the point that case made. It wasn't a landmark case and isn't as broad as many of you are making it out to be.

Basically, the cakeshop didn't want to make the custom cake for that couple and then the Colorado Civil Rights Commission fined them for being discriminatory. But what the Supreme Court found (in a 7-2 decision) was only that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission violated the first amendment by not remaining religiously neutral when making its decision.

Neither the opinion of the court nor the concurrences definitively addressed the issue of whether Masterpiece Cakeshop violated the Constitution. Just that the Civil Rights Commission did in punishing them.

I briefly studied this case in Constitutional Law II in law school. I say briefly because it was not as broad as people make it out to be.
We were actually arguing about a similar UK case, but yes, the Masterpiece Cakeshop case ruling was made in a way that sort of bypassed the entire issue, presumably because they didn't want to set a precedent.
I predict that the most recent couple of posts are going to be removed before long. You both might want to calm down.
Your prediction isn't wrong, but take a moment to marvel at them. This is my life, Mag Staff. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: Pretty sure anyone buying the switch just for that got duped