• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Joe Biden Wins - Becomes 46th president of the United States

• Thread starter yusuo
  • Start date
  • Views 434,018
  • Replies 7,444
  • Likes 45
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
.you should be like Trump and resign
Imagine being upset about a fair and balanced take.

"Storming the Capitol building = bad. Burning down your own city = bad. Looting = bad. Double-standards = bad"."
"Plz resign."

Good chat.
Only seven percent? Are you sure? There's been BLM riots every single week in large cities around the country and every single week I've seen police being attacked, buildings burning to the ground, property being destroyed and every now and then a bunch of looters stealing stuff. There's literally tens of thousands of videos online that highlight the riots that have been going on for almost a year now. That includes this weekend in Portland ...

Newsweek: Portland Begins 2021 With a Riot As Protesters and Police Exchange Firebombs and Tear Gas

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/p...e-exchange-firebombs-and-tear-gas/ar-BB1coO7g
That's the estimate. For every violent demonstration you see on TV or the Internet there's an overwhelming number of demonstrations that proceed without incident - you just don't get to see them because they're not as spicy as the violent ones. Fair is fair, not all protestors are violent, that's objectively true.

Last edited by Foxi4,
Reactions: gamefan5 and tabzer

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Any comparisons to BLM here are completely disingenuous. This isn't a hypothetical, we know exactly what happened last year when BLM protestors were staying in their assigned area near the capitol building. They were there for maybe half an hour before they were maced, pepper sprayed, and shot by rubber bullets to clear them out for Trump's upside-down bible photo op.

MAGA terrorists? Capitol police let them walk right through the front fucking door, and allowed them to stick around for hours after curfew. They practically rolled out the red carpet for them. This proves correct what BLM has been saying all along: fascists of a feather flock together. The police force has been compromised by white supremacists, and unfortunately not only in Washington DC.

Last edited by Xzi,

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imagine being upset about a fair and balanced take.

"Storming the Capitol building = bad. Burning down your own city = bad. Looting = bad. Double-standards = bad"."
"Plz resign."

Good chat.
oh I apologized I did not read anything you said before. Nor was my comment a result of what you stated about the failed Coup.
I was talking in General.

Frankfort42

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the estimate. For every violent demonstration you see on TV or the Internet there's an overwhelming number of demonstrations that proceed without incident - you just don't get to see them because they're not as spicy as the violent ones. Fair is fair, not all protestors are violent, that's objectively true.

I agree that most of the protesters don't turn to violence, but I didn't realize that it was only 7% that looted, committed arson, destroyed property, committed murders, etc ... It just seems sorta low considering the amount of coverage the violent types have been receiving for almost the past year. Although there's been hundreds of protests in multiple cities by the Liberals so maybe that number is factual. It's just asinine that people are attacking the Conservatives over 1 single riot yet dismissing the hundreds their side partook in.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It's just asinine that people are attacking the Conservatives over 1 single riot yet dismissing the hundreds their side partook in.
Not to condone any form of violence, but people are more permissive of it when the underlying cause is just. "I'm protesting/rioting because police are constantly brutalizing and killing unarmed citizens" is not the same as, "I'm protesting/rioting/endangering the lives of every US Congressman because I hate democracy."

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree that most of the protesters don't turn to violence, but I didn't realize that it was only 7% that looted, committed arson, destroyed property, committed murders, etc ... It just seems sorta low considering the amount of coverage the violent types have been receiving for almost the past year. Although there's been hundreds of protests in multiple cities by the Liberals so maybe that number is factual. It's just asinine that people are attacking the Conservatives over 1 single riot yet dismissing the hundreds their side partook in.
You do realize that a large chunk of the BLM protests only ended in violence because either cops flipped out and used more force on them than they did on the violent-from-the-start Capitol rioters, or because there were people deliberately slipping in and starting shit, right?
Like that "Q Shaman" nutcase that got used as "evidence" that the Capitol riot was some kind of antifa conspiracy (even though antifa isn't an organization), but took offense to being called antifa.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Any comparisons to BLM here are completely disingenuous. This isn't a hypothetical, we know exactly what happened last year when BLM protestors were staying in their assigned area near the capitol building. They were there for maybe half an hour before they were maced, pepper sprayed, and shot by rubber bullets to clear them out for Trump's upside-down bible photo op.

MAGA terrorists? Capitol police let them walk right through the front fucking door, and allowed them to stick around for hours after curfew. They practically rolled out the red carpet for them. This proves correct what BLM has been saying all along: fascists of a feather flock together. The police force has been compromised by white supremacists, and unfortunately not only in Washington DC.
You and I both know that this is an unfair assessment. Nobody here has Alzheimer's - we all remember when governors refused to call in the National Guard in spite of being urged to do so by the federal government - the National Guard was dispatched within moments when violence broke out on Capitol Hill. How come some protests are called a "summer of love" by democratic representatives, but not others? The comparison is perfectly applicable, I stand by what I said. Wrong is wrong, the excuse is irrelevant.

Reactions: tabzer

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You and I both know that this is an unfair assessment. Nobody here has Alzheimer's - we all remember when governors refused to call in the National Guard in spite of being urged to do so by the federal government - the National Guard was dispatched within moments when violence broke out on Capitol Hill. How come some protests are called a "summer of love" by democratic representatives, but not others? The comparison is perfectly applicable, I stand by what I said. Wrong is wrong, the excuse is irrelevant.
The comparison is still valid.
BLM protests, whether they were in any way violent or not, got sprayed and shot down in an instant.
The Capitol rioters basically got a free pass.

I away find it fun when the Mods have Convos with Burner accounts.
Or rather, the mods get to circlejerk with them! The timing on that guy joining that soon and then conveniently hopping in to pile more fuel onto the shitstained fire... :huh:

Last edited by Plasmaster09,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
we all remember when governors refused to call in the National Guard in spite of being urged to do so by the federal government
The governors knew that sending in the national guard just to prevent a bit of property damage would only escalate things further, and they were right. Odds are that Trump knew this too, but he loves escalation, especially if he thinks it can be used as a political cudgel against the opposition.

the National Guard was dispatched within moments when violence broke out on Capitol Hill.
"Within moments" is far from accurate. They approached Trump first, and he refused to give the order, so Pence had to do it. National guard didn't arrive for at least 30 to 45 minutes after the capitol building had already been breached, and even when they did show up, they treated the mob of armed insurrectionists with kid gloves just like the capitol police.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yeah, bullshit on that one.

There's more nuance to it than just "riot bad".

Consider that there are numerous accounts of violence during BLM protests being instigated by right-wingers that joined in the protests solely to cause problems.

Consider that there are numerous accounts of violence during BLM protests being instigated by the police themselves.

Consider that the entire reason for the BLM protests are that Black people are tired of being murdered by police, and that people in general are tired of over-use of force by police.

Consider that the entire reason for the Capitol Hill insurrection was because a bunch of uneducated, brainwashed hicks were mad that their candidate lost, because of the lies he'd been feeding them over the past 4 years.

That's a shit take, dude.

Edit - there's also a bit of a difference between looting a Target and staging an armed invasion of a secure (lol) Federal building. Hopefully you realize that.

Last edited by Sicklyboy,

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Frankfort42

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sicklyboy said:

Consider that there are numerous accounts of violence during BLM protests being instigated by right-wingers that joined in the protests solely to cause problems.

Consider that there are numerous accounts of violence during BLM protests being instigated by the police themselves.

Consider that the entire reason for the BLM protests are that Black people are tired of being murdered by police, and that people in general are tired of over-use of force by police.

Consider that the entire reason for the Capitol Hill insurrection was because a bunch of uneducated, brainwashed hicks were mad that their candidate lost, because of the lies he'd been feeding them over the past 4 years.

Edit - there's also a bit of a difference between looting a Target and staging an armed invasion of a secure (lol) Federal building. Hopefully you realize that.

So @Foxi4 claims that breaking the law is bad, but you and @Xzi claim that it can be overlooked because you support the underlying cause. So you're both just criminals who are overlooking acts of violence because you support your side. So anything your side does gets a pass and if the other side does it they are in the wrong. You two are top candidates for the hypocrite of the year award.

Reactions: tabzer

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Trump supporter called C-SPAN in tears to ask if her president had lied to her
slowly we will start seeing this more as the kool-aid runs out

I heard this live on the air. It was... kind of sad.

I can't imagine what it'd be like to have that moment of realization that you've been strung along for 4+ years all for nothing.

I also can't imagine how so many people will never have that realization.

So @Foxi4 claims that breaking the law is bad, but you and @Xzi claim that it can be overlooked because you support the underlying cause.

Yeah, I'll come out and say it. If someone is protesting because they're tired of being killed due to the color of their skin, I can get behind that. If they're rioting for the same reason, I can sympathize.

I have no sympathy for idiot, uneducated hicks that are rioting because their candidate lost an election after he spent months claiming it'd be fraudulent.

So you're both just criminals

Source?

So anything your side does gets a pass and if the other side does it they are in the wrong

Not really what I said, so... source?

You two are top candidates for the hypocrite of the year award.

Considering we're 8 days into the year, that's not a concerningly high bar.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yellow journalists are after maximum shock value - always have been. The news channels have all been doom and gloom for decades - "a protest took place and nothing happened" doesn't sell ads, may as well switch back to the weather. They're a huge contributor to the political divide, the constant exaggeration of events and focusing solely on the extreme paints a vision of reality that's bleak and has little to do with what's right outside your window.

I thought "they were just buildings" and "they had insurance" last time, what changed? I stand behind what I said - we should be so lucky to only ever have "insurrections" that politely leave when they're done displaying their discontent. One of the biggest problems in American politics right now, and a huge reason for why there's so much division in the country, is because neither side is willing to own up to things, say "mea culpa" and completely disown those who sow discord in society. There's always an excuse of some kind, "they're disenfranchised", "there's police brutality", "the election was stolen", there's this and that, and at the end of the day everybody's just covering for crazies. The same people who chanted ACAB in the summer are now cheering because a woman was shot dead right in the neck by law enforcement. It's those attitudes that are the problem, and people who excuse "burning down Targets" are contributing to the division that's only growing into a chasm between the two sides until they have nothing in common whatsoever. I have no trouble saying that both acts are wrong, and neither should anyone with any ounce of reason. We should stop white washing extreme behaviour and look at the log in our own eye too instead of just pointing fingers when it's the other side that's out of control.

Reactions: gamefan5 and tabzer

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So @Foxi4 claims that breaking the law is bad, but you and @Xzi claim that it can be overlooked because you support the underlying cause. So you're both just criminals who are overlooking acts of violence because you support your side. So anything your side does gets a pass and if the other side does it they are in the wrong. You two are top candidates for the hypocrite of the year award.
...no, they're just stating that context matters.
The context? The BLM protests that turned violent did so either because police escalated things, Trump supporters deliberately turned things violent or (in a small shred) plainly because there had been so many acts of violence towards them from the police in the past. Meanwhile, the Capitol riot happened because a narcissistic madman encouraged and incited violence against the government from his supporters in order to overturn a democratic election because he'd rather bash our democracy to bits than admit he lost.
Also, if you're going to spout such batshit absurd accusations, can you use your main account? Throwing strawmen and potshots at your political opponents using a burner account is a sign of pure cowardice.

I have no trouble saying that both acts are wrong, and neither should anyone with any ounce of reason. We should stop white washing extreme behaviour and look at the log in our own eye too instead of just pointing fingers when it's the other side.
Alright, so stop using "both acts are wrong" as an excuse to justify the Capitol riots and ignore the blatant disregard for our democracy that Trump has demonstrated.

Last edited by Plasmaster09,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.ebay.com/itm/386617469929?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2T8UwYf_Qse&...