• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Joe Biden Wins - Becomes 46th president of the United States

• Thread starter yusuo
  • Start date
  • Views 434,818
  • Replies 7,444
  • Likes 45
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So then, it appears that its perfectly fine for you to troll? I've been a mod on a few sites during my time and one thing I learned it to just do my job moderating and for the most part stay out of conversations, especially political and religious conversations. Maybe think about that. Your attitude as a mod is, imo, kinda shitty. You're supposed to set the example, not act like the rest of the people.
The entire conversation is framed around the subject at hand, I don't see the issue. I haven't used any derogatory language, nor have I "trolled" Lacius for a response - he was happy to provide them himself. I simply defended my stance in a humorous way, as is my right. Now, back to the subject at hand, if you will.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The entire conversation is framed around the subject at hand, I don't see the issue. I haven't used any derogatory language, nor have I "trolled" Lacius for a response - he was happy to provide them himself. I simply defended my stance in a humorous way, as is my right. Now, back to the subject at hand, if you will.

But if someone else uses their own sense of humor, it's trolling. You know full well what I'm talking about. Using a sarcastic, belittling, smart-assy tone is zero amount better than just outright saying what you'd really like to say. A person can use whatever words they want - but the meaning remains the same. Why is your own brand of comedy perfectly okay, but if someone else tries to be funny... it's trolling and removed. The exact wording used doesn't make one single bit of difference.

Anyway... That's all.

Reactions: IncredulousP

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was talking about the future of the country, and I absolutely understand what you meant - that's why I'm ridiculing it, as it is in deservement of ridicule.
Again, you're being dishonest. You were talking about the future of the country in response to the election of Georgia's first Black Senator. That was tone-deaf - that's why I'm addressing it, as it is in deservement of being addressed.

Context should be considered in the evaluation. This on-going free participation conversation allows for all concerns to be addressed, and the clarity he gave should clear the air.
Context should absolutely be considered, and that's why his statement wasn't overtly racist; it was tone-deaf.

Let's correct that statement. In an effort to police language on behalf of a metaphorical black audience you told me that a perfectly applicable term was offensive for an arbitrary reason that requires mental gymnastics to even be relevant.
I told you the statement was tone-deaf, and the fact that it requires "mental gymnastics" on your part to see the connection between "dark times" and the first Black Senator from Georgia is part of what makes you tone-deaf.

Nice one, sound strategy to get your own overreaction wiped
I would prefer that the posts don't get deleted. I was cattily offering you an out.

I think I'll keep it, the exchange makes you look sufficiently silly to be worthy of archiving, the local pearl supplier must've been happy to sell out of stock given all the clutching that's going on.

In any case, back to the Senate race, lest we forget that it's still running.
In order for it to be pearl-clutching, I have to actually take offense; I don't. I acknowledged it's tone-deaf. For posterity, let's summarize our posts, shall we?
  • You: This guy (who is Black) just won the Georgia senate seat. Dark times ahead.
  • Me: Considering you're saying the election of Georgia's first Black Senator is going to cause dark times, that's tone-deaf.
  • You: I wasn't being racist.
  • Me: I didn't say you were being racist. You are being tone-deaf.
  • You: Joe Biden used the phrase "dark times."
  • Me: Yeah, but he wasn't talking about Black people.
  • You: I wasn't talking about Black people either.
  • Me: Warnock is Black.
  • You: I still don't understand how it's tone-deaf. Everyone is at fault but me.
  • Me: Lack of perception is part of what it means to be tone-deaf.
  • You: Yeah, but I don't care how others feel about my words.
  • Me: That's also part of what it means to be tone-deaf.
tone-deaf
adjective
2: having or showing an obtuse insensitivity or lack of perception particularly in matters of public sentiment, opinion, or taste
So yeah, I'm perfectly happy with how I've conducted myself in this conversation. I hope now this conversation can end sooner rather than later.

Last edited by Lacius,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So yeah, I'm perfectly happy with how I've conducted myself in this conversation.
Once again, the fact that the thought even crossed your mind at all in spite of understanding full-well what was being said points to your obsession in regards to race, which should be something you should contemplate. I consider the conversation over.
But if someone else uses their own sense of humor, it's trolling. You know full well what I'm talking about. Using a sarcastic, belittling, smart-assy tone is zero amount better than just outright saying what you'd really like to say. A person can use whatever words they want - but the meaning remains the same. Why is your own brand of comedy perfectly okay, but if someone else tries to be funny... it's trolling and removed. The exact wording used doesn't make one single bit of difference.

Anyway... That's all.
I'll chalk you up as the 156th person telling me that I shouldn't participate in forum activities because of an arbitrary badge next to my name, and continue to post well-within the bounds of the rules. That is, indeed, all.
Because it's not a "we'll only pay you if we win", it's a "we're pretty darn sure they'll only pay you if they have to, and that means them losing and not being able to undo it".
That's a fair point, this loss can be attributed to McConnel more so than Trump. Once again the Republican party does what it does best - shoots its own during a hunting trip Cheney-style, except this time in the foot. This was not the right time to generate Ill will against the GOP, they totally blew it.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once again, the fact that the thought even crossed your mind at all in spite of understanding full-well what was being said points to your obsession in regards to race, which should be something you should contemplate. I consider the conversation over.
It doesn't require an obsession with race to point out when something is racially tone-deaf. There's more of that "it's everyone's fault but mine." Telling me I'm obsessed with race also doesn't do anything to argue your statement wasn't tone-deaf.

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trump’s sons Donald Jr and Eric declare war on Republican party at DC election protest
I don't think Republicans can win a national election anytime soon. because if Trumper spilt the Republicans
theyno longer have enough of the vote..Trumper or Repubs
the Republican dam is breaking..
I... wha... PHBTAHAHAHAHA!
They're so desperate to keep him in office that not only will they actively encourage basically defying our democracy itself but they'll no-true-scotsman anyone that dares disagree out of the party!
Gee, I sure don't expect THIS move to have any negative consequences whatsoever!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Trump’s sons Donald Jr and Eric declare war on Republican party at DC election protest
I don't think Republicans can win a national election anytime soon. because if Trumper spilt the Republicans
theyno longer have enough of the vote..Trumper or Repubs
the Republican dam is breaking..
To be fair, we're seeing a similar split between the ultra progressive "squad" wing of the party and more traditional Democrats, there's a lot of coalitions in that movement as well. With that said, they seem to have the capacity to rally behind a lesser evil, Republicans have always put principles over common sense, which is their primary weakness.

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair, we're seeing a similar split between the ultra progressive "squad" wing of the party and more traditional Democrats, there's a lot of coalitions in that movement as well. With that said, they seem to have the capacity to rally behind a lesser evil, Republicans have always put principles over common sense, which is their primary weakness.
..not really ... The Progressives know when to shut up and when to speak out.... example: They just reelected Pelosi again... (even tho Progressives really don't like her )
but when Mitch told the Senators not to object ..They ignored him Completely !

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
]That's a fair point, this loss can be attributed to McConnel more so than Trump. Once again the Republican party does what it does best - shoots its own during a hunting trip Cheney-style, except this time in the foot. This was not the right time to generate Ill will against the GOP, they totally blew it.
It's like a rat in a cat costume sneaking into a place filled to the brim with cats, then suddenly revealing themselves to be a rat and threatening violence against all cats in the vicinity. They didn't shoot themselves in the foot, they shot themselves in the groin. (Pity they're so intensely against free healthcare, because that's gonna cost a lot!)
Not to mention putting winning over principles!

Last edited by Plasmaster09,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Not to mention putting winning over principles!
That's the one time they should've done just that, if ever, and they immediately lost when they didn't, so yes. What I meant was that Republicans are unwilling to forge alliances if their principles do not align - that's a weakness the Democratic party doesn't seem to suffer from. The Democrats are perfectly happy living in consistent cognitive dissonance wherein Kamala Harris "believes Biden's accusers" during the race and immediately calls Biden an honourable man that she's proud to work with as VP after said race - that kind of two-faced nature allows them to forge coalitions in spite of hating each other's guts.
..not really ... The Progressives know when to shut up and when to speak out.... example: They just reelected Pelosi again... (even tho Progressives really don't like her )
but when Mitch told the Senators not to object ..They ignored him Completely !
Prime example of the above in action.

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the one time they should've done just that, if ever, and they immediately lost when they didn't, so yes. What I meant was that Republicans are unwilling to forge alliances if their principles do not align - that's a weakness the Democratic party doesn't seem to suffer from. The Democrats are perfectly happy living in consistent cognitive dissonance wherein Kamala Harris believes Biden's accusers during the race and immediately calls Biden an honourable man that she's proud to work with as VP after said race - that kind of two-faced nature allows them to forge coalitions in spite of hating each other's guts.
We can bond over what we do agree on, rather than vilifying people based on what we disagree on.
There may be some internal conflict, but we're more focused on trying to improve things- and before you say it, we may pile on Trump, but we actually waited until there was a decent amount of evidence rather than starting the mudslinging the instant he started campaigning.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
We can bond over what we do agree on, rather than vilifying people based on what we disagree on.
There may be some internal conflict, but we're more focused on trying to improve things- and before you say it, we may pile on Trump, but we actually waited until there was a decent amount of evidence rather than starting the mudslinging the instant he started campaigning.
There are lessons to be learned from the Democrats in regards to party unity, for better or worse. I hope the Republicans will take those lessons in strides. They too want to improve the country, but in doing so they focus too much on the inconsequential stuff, missing the forest for the trees as a result.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The irony of talking of qualification and of good moral character when still supporting someone like Trump.
Because it's not a "we'll only pay you if we win"
Like what Trump did with the stimulus checks.

That's a fair point, this loss can be attributed to McConnel more so than Trump. Once again the Republican party does what it does best - shoots its own during a hunting trip Cheney-style, except this time in the foot. This was not the right time to generate Ill will against the GOP, they totally blew it.
I'm pretty sure it was the claiming of widespread voter fraud that did it.

Anyway, if Democrats were so unified, Trump wouldn't have won in the first place.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Anyway, if Democrats were so unified, Trump wouldn't have won in the first place.
I don't see it that way. Post-Obama internal coalitions were very strong, just in the service of all the wrong things - people were tired of them after 8 years. American politics are a pendulum, and the pendulum likes to swing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Psi likes to milk beavers lol