• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Joe Biden is now officially the 46th President of the United States of America

Should this thread be locked?

• Yes

Votes: 27 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and all lives matter, which presumably includes the subset of coloured folks, somehow does not count?

But again we are back to you fundamentally assuming people are honest in the text online and will demean themselves enough to be a parrot for you.
That's great that you think all lives matter. It's a good start, and that's already better than somebody here. Could you say "black lives matter"?

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's great that you think all lives matter. Could you say "black lives matter"?
a) did I say I thought all lives matter? I thought we were still talking abstracts and hypotheticals.
b) Not that it matters at all but did I not already? Was only a couple of posts back. Why repeat myself?
c) do you really find gatekeeping in such a manner to be useful? Even ignoring the efficacy question it would also operate under the presumption that you are either an authority to have to suck up to, or such a presence that one can't help but debase themselves in front of you for the mere chance of engaging in conversation?

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is, however, ample evidence of increased policing of Black communities even when controlling for actual crime rates. Traffic stops (and when and why they turn fatal) are a good example of disproportionate policing.

Blacks commit more crime and therefore are arrested more often. If you believe they're policed more than their increased crime warrants, cite your source.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Because when a person can't say "black lives matter," it usually means they don't think black lives matter. It's not rocket science.
That's a disingenuous portrayal of the subject. You can simultaneously value the lives of all people equally and disagree with the BLM movement, or the BLM organisation which exploits the misery of black people for profit. I'm not going to recite magical slogans to pay some bizarre form of fealty to a group of people that I fundamentally disagree with in regards to policy, or even the root causes of the problem. Spoilers, I also won't take a knee, or do any of the other theatrics required of "allies", whatever that means. If you want it to just be a hashtag, you do you. Approaching the issue from the perspective of "either you agree with me, agree with the movement and say the magical words or you're a racist" is ridiculous, and a false dichotomy. I'm willing to wager that a gross majority of Americans, or people worldwide for that matter, care about police brutality and people being killed in custody. They might just not like the BLM movement, or its methods, or the organisation, or a myriad of other things associated with the name.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

tthousand

Model #I
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMG_1180.JPG

Reactions: gokuguy

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Some black lives matter more than others. It wouldn't be fair to say all black lives matter when nobody would sincerely agree. Otherwise the bigger issue at hand would probably be the death penalty.

tthousand

Model #I
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looting = Bad
Murder = Worse
Looting + Murder = Profit

Covid = Bad
Collapsing the World Economy = Worse
Covid + Collapsing the World Economy = Profit

Everyone gets so focused on the now, they forget about the future. It's like slight of hand; you focus on what the magicians wants you to focus on so you do not see the tricks they are playing on you.

Reactions: zeroultima6

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a disingenuous portrayal of the subject. You can simultaneously value the lives of all people equally and disagree with the BLM movement, or the BLM organisation which exploits the misery of black people for profit. I'm not going to recite magical slogans to pay some bizarre form of fealty to a group of people that I fundamentally disagree with in regards to policy, or even the root causes of the problem. Spoilers, I also won't take a knee, or do any of the other theatrics required of "allies", whatever that means. If you want it to just be a hashtag, you do you. Approaching the issue from the perspective of "either you agree with me, agree with the movement and say the magical words or you're a racist" is ridiculous, and a false dichotomy. I'm willing to wager that a gross majority of Americans, or people worldwide for that matter, care about police brutality and people being killed in custody. They might just not like the BLM movement, or its methods, or the organisation, or a myriad of other things associated with the name.
What's disingenuous is saying I'm asking you to agree with a movement by asking you to say black lives matter. I'm sorry it's difficult for you to say black lives matter, but at least we've figured out the root of the problem, and we don't have to waste our time talking about it anymore.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Both contribute to the same end. Nobody said that murder is okay.
@Foxi4 implied murder is okay when he said he doesn't believe any lives matter.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blacks commit more crime and therefore are arrested more often. If you believe they're policed more than their increased crime warrants, cite your source.
Black people are pulled over more despite not committing more traffic violations. Black people are stopped on the street more, particularly during the days of Stop and Frisk, despite not committing more crimes. Racial profiling demonstrably exists, and communities of color are over-policed. A lot of the statistics you think show Black people committing more crime don't show what you think they show. If an area is more policed, it's going to show more crime even when there isn't more crime. If a community is less likely to meet bail or afford anything other than a public defender, they're more like to plead guilty even when they aren't.

I didn't imply that at any point. If that's what you've gathered from the statement, you have bigger problems besides requiring people to play Simon Says with you for some undisclosed reason.
I don't believe you believe murder is okay, but when you do a cop-out like "I don't believe any lives matter," you should accept the consequences of such a statement.

a) did I say I thought all lives matter? I thought we were still talking abstracts and hypotheticals.
b) Not that it matters at all but did I not already? Was only a couple of posts back. Why repeat myself?
c) do you really find gatekeeping in such a manner to be useful? Even ignoring the efficacy question it would also operate under the presumption that you are either an authority to have to suck up to, or such a presence that one can't help but debase themselves in front of you for the mere chance of engaging in conversation?
You can't say black lives matter, and I suggest you ask yourself why not. If you did it already, I'm not sure what's keeping you from doing it again. I didn't see it. I see everything else in your post as a distraction from the point.

Last edited by Lacius,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't believe you believe murder is okay, but when you do a cop-out like "I don't believe any lives matter," you should accept the consequences of such a statement.
In a cosmic sense, none of our lives matter. We're all specks of dust sitting on a mud ball barrelling through space at ludicrous speeds - we live for a blink of an eye and make very little difference on an individual basis. This should be fairly obvious to the average reader.

Reactions: tthousand

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In a cosmic sense, none of our lives matter. We're all specks of dust sitting on a mud ball barrelling through space at ludicrous speeds - we live for a blink of an eye and make very little difference on an individual basis. This should be fairly obvious to the average reader.
If you don't think murder is okay, then you believe lives matter. This should be fairly obvious to the average reader.

Bullseye

Trophies
XP
Country
If you don't think murder is okay, then you believe lives matter. This should be fairly obvious to the average reader.

Say "All lives matter"!
Say "No lives matter in the cosmic sense"!!
Say "I am forcing you to put words in your mouth I want you to say" !!!
Say it!!!!!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Matter to who? In what sense? People die every single day, by the thousands. That has zero impact on me, it has zero impact on you. You might "care" about them in a humanitarian sense, but they don't occupy your mind on a constant basis.

Certain specific lives might matter - those who are actually dear to you. You want the world to be safe because death awaits all of us, and ideally you'd like it to be a distant concept rather than an everyday worry. If you care about lives so much, you should be supporting policies that preserve them.

213 people have been shot by the police across the United States in the first three months of 2021, 30 of whom were black, and an even smaller fraction was "unarmed", since that always seems to be a point of contention. In Chicago that's called "a weekend" - 875 people were shot dead in Cook County in 2020, 78% of whom were black - that's +/- 56 dead black people every single month, or 162 in the same time frame last year. Those deaths are preventable with proper policing, but that's not what you want - you want less policing instead. Who's caring about lives here, exactly? What should we worry about more, the few deaths by the hands of the police or the many by the hands of criminals? Both are bad, but one problem is more prescient than the other.

https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-shootings-2020-shooting-crime-stats-statistics/9250374/

tthousand

Model #I
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lives matter to you and me, but what you don't see, is that it ain't no thing to the powers that be
If they could kill you and your family, just so there bloodlines can breed, then that's what would be
I suggest that you get up off your knees, and quit trying to suck up to and please this evil disease
That would have you believe, that you're part of a plague called humanity, but all ain't as it seems
You're stuck in a dream, no one hears your screams, being muffled by the noise of the machines
You're trying to hold it together, but the scheme is coming apart at the seams, what does it mean?
It means it's now or never. It means you better do better. The storm's here and it's getting wetter!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can't say black lives matter, and I suggest you ask yourself why not. If you did it already, I'm not sure what's keeping you from doing it again. I didn't see it. I see everything else in your post as a distraction from the point.

Still not sure of the purpose.

Would playing your parrot be anything other than a trite but otherwise agreeable/obvious statement along the lines of "being hungry sucks" or, far worse still, potentially being considered as expressing solidarity with a named group with stated goals, leaders/founders and a world view that I find dubious at best?

Anyway bored of that one now.

So some do nothing/feel good statements on gun control were uttered

Apparently this was a thing he was running on. Is this a good thing, bad thing, good in intent but poor in execution?

Reactions: Foxi4

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Matter to who? In what sense? People die every single day, by the thousands. That has zero impact on me, it has zero impact on you. You might "care" about them in a humanitarian sense, but they don't occupy your mind on a constant basis.

Certain specific lives might matter - those who are actually dear to you. You want the world to be safe because death awaits all of us, and ideally you'd like it to be a distant concept rather than an everyday worry. If you care about lives so much, you should be supporting policies that preserve them.

213 people have been shot by the police across the United States in the first three months of 2021, 30 of whom were black, and an even smaller fraction was "unarmed", since that always seems to be a point of contention. In Chicago that's called "a weekend" - 875 people were shot dead in Cook County in 2020, 78% of whom were black - that's +/- 56 dead black people every single month, or 162 in the same time frame last year. Those deaths are preventable with proper policing, but that's not what you want - you want less policing instead. Who's caring about lives here, exactly? What should we worry about more, the few deaths by the hands of the police or the many by the hands of criminals? Both are bad, but one problem is more prescient than the other.

https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-shootings-2020-shooting-crime-stats-statistics/9250374/
I'm asking if you, Foxi4, think black lives matter. You previously said you don't think any lives matter, but then you said murder is bad, so which is it? If you stop for a second and think about why you can't say black lives matter, you might be able to avoid the consequences of cognitive dissonance.

All anyone should really take note of here is how hard you're trying to avoid saying black lives matter. Nothing else matters.

Still not sure of the purpose.

Would playing your parrot be anything other than a trite but otherwise agreeable/obvious statement along the lines of "being hungry sucks" or, far worse still, potentially being considered as expressing solidarity with a named group with stated goals, leaders/founders and a world view that I find dubious at best?

Anyway bored of that one now.

So some do nothing/feel good statements on gun control were uttered

Apparently this was a thing he was running on. Is this a good thing, bad thing, good in intent but poor in execution?

I'm not sure why you're making a simple question difficult. Do you think black lives matter, yes or no? Can you say black lives matter? If it's complicated, I'm not the one making it complicated, and I don't think this requires further clarification.

Say "All lives matter"!
Say "No lives matter in the cosmic sense"!!
Say "I am forcing you to put words in your mouth I want you to say" !!!
Say it!!!!!
Can you say black lives matter? Regarding Foxi4, I'm not asking about the cosmic sense of whether or not something matters. I'm asking if he thinks black lives matter. Bringing up existential questions about whether or not anything truly matters is irrelevant to the conversation, and it's a predictable deflection.

Looting = Bad
Murder = Worse
Looting + Murder = Profit

Covid = Bad
Collapsing the World Economy = Worse
Covid + Collapsing the World Economy = Profit

Everyone gets so focused on the now, they forget about the future. It's like slight of hand; you focus on what the magicians wants you to focus on so you do not see the tricks they are playing on you.
Generally speaking, nobody thinks looting+murder is a good thing. Nobody thinks COVID-19+the collapse of the world economy is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: got a mig switch here, freshly smuggled in from China