Jobs with odd names?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,071
  • Replies 6
D

Deleted User

OP
I need those for a presentation I have to make.

I'm looking for a job that has names that not many know of, in layman's term, it's jobs with unknown names.

Got any?

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, my job is metal blanking. What that is is I take a strip of metal of varying length, width and thickness (depending on the part to be created) and run it through a punch press. My particular job is to blank the initial shape of the part to be created (usually multiple hits per strip). Later it gets perma'd (shapes punched into it to conform to specifications of the order) and formed (bent into the final shape of the part). Sometimes the parts are sanded to get rid of burrs in the metal.

I work with steel, stainless steel, aluminum, galvanized steel and brass.

So, I'm a blanker. Sounds funny, but that's the term they use for the job I do. As long as no one calls me a mother-blanker, I'm cool with it.
tongue.gif

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
To continue with the theme of the above post, the people that sand (or dress) the sharp edges from metalwork are referrred to as fettlers - that always struck me as an odd name.

D

Deleted User

OP
excellent, fettlers or metal blanker would work fine.

Now, what to choose lol.

Tigerstar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The best obscure job title has to be the bizarre-sounding "saggar maker's bottom knocker". It sounds like some obscure and expensive sexual service, but is actually a job in a pottery kiln. A saggar is a kind of fireclay box used to hold pottery pieces in the kiln for firing - the saggar maker constructed the box itself, and they would have less skilled assistants, often young boys, who made the bottom of the box by knocking the clay into a metal hoop of the appropriate size - hence, they were "saggar maker's bottom knockers".

http://www.thepotteries.org/bottle_kiln/saggar.htm

D

Deleted User

OP
Thanks guys, I'm going for Saggar Makers.

Hope it's going to be a superb presentation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: