Jim Sterling Pro Reviewer and Youtube Personality DDOS'd Over 'Low' Score Zelda BotW Review

Breath of The Wild has enraptured fans and critics alike in the week since its launch. Touted as one of the greatest open world games in a decade, the most awesome Zelda since Ocarina of Time, and the most excellent video game to come out in recent memory.

Flawless and perfection are the adjectives that echo in everyone's words that talk about this newest iteration of Zelda. But not everyone has been echoing the same sentiment, and one man, in particular, is paying pretty dearly for his opinion.

Jim Sterling, known for his no-nonsense and polarizing views on the gaming industry, has taken fire for seemingly being responsible for Breath of The Wilds drop from 98 to 97 on Metacritic after publishing his review giving the game a 7/10. (Boy that sure looks familiar.)

Screenshot+2017-03-13+01.32.07.png

Jim Sterlings Review notes said:
“At its absolute best, Breath of the Wild offers some of the most absorbing experiences a Zelda game ever has.

“Unfortunately, it makes you work harder for it than you should, buried as it is under a pile of small but constant irritations that collaborate to form a thick crust of frustration around a delectable center.

“Breath of the Wild is a delightful adventure, one that tries its utmost to be as big a pain in the arse as possible.”

In the hours since publishing his review, Sterlings website has gone down and is currently inaccessible at the time of this writing. He has also received numerous public death threats and even has shared straw polls demanding he be hanged for his opinion.

Jim Sterling on the reviews for Zelda said:
Truly, I wish I could say I understood what all the critics were raving about in their onslaught of 10/10 reviews, but I don’t. I see too many things getting in the way of the brilliance, too much repetitive busywork and full-on dick moves for me to say this is even close to my favorite Zelda game, much less in the top five.

Close, but no Triforce.

Silencing criticism with DDoS's and hate speech is an unfortunate and unnecessary consequence of modern internet media. No one should be silenced for their opinion as everyone has a right to their views.

What does our community make of this recent news? How do you all feel about what happened to Sterling?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, it's shit. But given how influential this guy is, how many insane fans there are and the ease of doing something like this, it's somewhat inevitable. I'm sure there are many more people who would respectfully disagree, but those aren't nearly as vocal/newsworthy.

DarkenedMatter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just feel like his opinion should be counted as a normal person on Metacritic. He's not anyone special imo so what gives him the credibility to be an "actual" critic?

Reactions: MrJason005

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Pfft, obvious clickbait review is obvious. All the other reviewers gave it a 10/10, so he's just shitting on the game to look edgy and "different". I bet he just looked at all the 0/10 user reviews on Metacritic and used those as complaints instead of beating it himself. He just doesn't understand the mechanics, maybe he should actually look at the game from an in-depth point of view (because obviously he hasn't if he doesn't like some of the mechanics LOL).

I bet he wrote this review while eating Pringles and drinking energy drinks LOL

:^)

S

Saiyan Lusitano

I just feel like his opinion should be counted as a normal person on Metacritic. He's not anyone special imo so what gives him the credibility to be an "actual" critic?
Many e-Celebs are critics whether on YouTube, RT, MetaCrtic or whatever. It's better not to take critics opinion face value because in the end, it's just another opinion.

Exactly. Sadly though, anything below 10/10 triggers people.
Not so much the score number itself but his opinion, at least for me.

TobiasAmaranth

Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
What a wuss. My items break, waaaaah. It's not as easy as other Zelda games, waaaaah. :P Well guess what? REAL LIFE IS HARD! This is good practice for learning how to manage assets efficiently! I know how to do that and GASP, I never run out of weapons. You also have to understand that, at times, RESOURCES GET TIGHT. That's. Life! XD

As for framerate drops, the only time I get lag is when the game chokes a bit on enemies-are-falling-a-long-way physics. Particularly with Moblins. I'm fairly sure they can manage to fix that one. And given how buggy most "AAA" titles tend to be on launch, be glad the only issues you've got are the framerate glitch and a few unobtainable treasure chests.

Shrines: 116
Korok Seeds: 441 + ~125 (Only 441 are needed for all upgrades)
Days played: 14 loooong days.
Game: Unbeaten, still have about 5% of the world to explore.
(PS: Where are the last 3 heart containers at?? :/ If they aren't at Hebra peak, then I'm confused...)

DarkenedMatter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Many e-Celebs are critics whether on YouTube, RT, MetaCrtic or whatever. It's better not to take critics opinion face value because in the end, it's just another opinion.

Not so much the score number itself but his opinion, at least for me.
Yeah, I understand. It's just that I never really cared or knew who he was until this. He just seems like a twat in general. He puts off a holier than thou vibe but idk.

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game still looks fun, even though it's out.
You never knew "mountain climbing simulator" was fun until now. :)

That GameSpot guy was fired over low Nintendo Switch score.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't see why people are asking what makes him credible. What makes the reviwers at ign etc credible? They put a score out you agree with, so they are credible? We already know ign and the big sites are influenced by ads (not even speculation, someone literally got fired from Gamespot for giving a bad review to a game that was being heavily advertised).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah forgot to turn that off