Jim Sterling gives Mario Kart 7 a 5/10

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by soulx, Nov 29, 2011.

Nov 29, 2011
  1. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    [​IMG] Source

In other news, he gave Modern Warfare 3 a 9.5/10 for it's innovative and original gameplay.

2. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    When did potentially provocative reviews become news?

3. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Yeah, I'm gonna move this to the 3DS section. It's more of an argument of opinion than news.

4. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    I love this guy
    I lol'd.

Read the review guys instead of just the score. He explains it quite well.

1 person likes this.
  5. pokefloote

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Man, people get so crazy over reviews. It's an opinion of one person.
    Go ahead and keep raging, it just brings their site views through the roof.

This isn't directed towards anyone specific, just people in general.

More on topic, isn't Mario Kart getting a little stale now?
    Needs a storyline.
    Just kidding.

inb4nintendoaddsastoryline

6. Xuphor

Banned Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

United States
    Meanwhile, IGN gave it a 9/10

http://ds.ign.com/articles/121/1213485p1.html

7. Valwin

Banned Valwin The Neautral Gamer

United States
    o you

anyway game like minecraft get a 10/10 in this world and not surprise by this one bit

edit
    o is Jim Sterling well his reviews are like this so that he gets hits on his website

8. Nebz

Member Nebz The N00b

United States
    Review sounds pretty solid. I love Mario Kart so I'll still be picking it up at some point. The score... it's not really bad or really good from what I can see.

9. Guild McCommunist

United States
    Oh my god I lol'd pretty hard. Side note, that game also got a higher score than Mario Kart 7 (6/10 compared to 5/10).

Some of the points here are solid but the review itself is kinda more "trollish" than anything else.

1 person likes this.
  10. DeathStrudel

Member DeathStrudel GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Who the fuck is Jim Sterling and why should I care about his reviews?

11. Valwin

Banned Valwin The Neautral Gamer

United States
    hes known to do bad reviews on purpose so that he can get hits on website

12. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    He did say that 5/10 from him is the equivalent of 7/10 on other blogs, which just goes to show numbered review scores these days are bullshit.

A lot of people bash COD or Battlefield (or FIFA or [insert populare franchise title here]) games for being "same old crap with prettier graphics" and "beating a dead horse" and "milking it" and people that buy them are "brainless fanboys"... well. It goes both ways.

1 person likes this.
  13. brandonspikes

Member brandonspikes King Erazer

United States
  14. AkiroWolfman

Member AkiroWolfman GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I think that Nintendo sticking to what works for them does work for them. Hear what I have to say, I have stopped playing things like WWE and Call of Duty because they mostly don't improve anything in the case of Modern Warfare or else they change the control style but nothing else like in WWE. On the other hand Nintendo releases a new Mario Kart game once every 4 years or there of. This gives them a chance to think of new things instead of the same old thing over and over again. Its one of the things that I like about Elder Scrolls and Skyrim does not dissapoint.

1 person likes this.
  15. Guild McCommunist

United States
    The issue here is that people are finding that it doesn't add enough to make it worth playing again.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 was hardly a great leap forward from Super Mario Galaxy. An excellent game and arguably the best 3D platformer ever made? Absolutely. But different at its heart? No.

If anything I'd think that releasing a game in a series every four years and having it still fundamentally the same as the last game in its series is a lot worse than releasing a game every year that isn't too different.

In the end, what makes a game like Mario Kart different from Call of Duty? They both stick to the standard principles of the series, but each game is basically the same, just with different maps, weapons, and modes. Is the difference that CoD is annual and Mario Kart isn't? Is the difference that everyone sees Activision as the hellspawn of gaming while Nintendo is the godsend?

I'm not saying that this whole formula of sticking to principles and switching around the content and adding stuff isn't bad, I'm just saying that people give a lot of flack to games like Call of Duty but other games that have the same principle are given a pass.

4 people like this.
  16. Erdnaxela

Member Erdnaxela GBAtemp Fan

France
    Just like pokemon, get 8 badges, beat elite four, hunt for rare pokemon, etc...
    The story might be different, but it still the same thing, and people still buy it. That means, game like this won't change very much until it don't sell so well.

17. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Remember, his 5 just means indifference; the game isn't really bad or good and didn't manage to leave much of an impact.

I'm not sure I entirely agree, but he does make some good points. It's kind of a shame that a lot of those will get drowned out in the "He gave Mario Kart 7 a what?" flamewars that it's guaranteed to spark.

18. junkerde

Banned junkerde Banned

United States
    agreed. its becuz its just another mario kart game. woopdee doo new karts and new levels........nothing else has changed. same with mw3 and mw2

19. xxNathanxx

Member xxNathanxx GBAtemp Regular

Tonga
    This just in: Jim Sterling is also the guy who said the 3DS would never start selling well.

I'd love to have seen the look on his face when he read the 3DS is already even selling better in its first 8 months than the DS in its first year.

Oh, and he's fat.

1 person likes this.
  20. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    From the review:

"Rubber banding and fixed races are still an integral part of every course,"

What a load of shit. I remember lapping opponents in previous MK titles. Does this genius understand what rubber banding is ? That is a god damn lie. This alone obliterates this guy's credibility entirely.

"Even series like Dynasty Warriors and Madden boast fresher features with each iteration than those found in Mario Kart 7,"

WHAT A LOAD, Dynasty Warriors doesn't change SHIT, this guy is just being a dick (from my understanding, Madden does have significant "fresher features" every so often so I won't speak on that)

"You also can't quit out of the game during a certain point in matchmaking, instead having to turn the entire 3DS off if you want to stop. Which is convenient."

Well no shit asshole, that will discourage rage quitters OBVIOUSLY. Oh, I guess that's a bad thing in this idiot's brain.

Under his bio: "Likes PS2, iPod Touch, Silent Hill 2, Metal Gear Solid, Dynasty Warriors 3"

WHAT A GOON, he jerks off over fucking DYNASTY WARRIORS ? ? ? ? ? That series redefines "retread." And this guy redefines "retard."

5 people like this.